Join Together: File Permission Error -54 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Join Together: File Permission Error -54

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 AM

Freshman Lounger

Lightbulb Join Together: File Permission Error -54

I'm attempting to join audio book tracks into a few larger ones. I realize the limitations of 13 or more hours so I'm just attempting to make each cd it's own track complete with chapters.

When I select the track for an album, start join together, it all goes great. Joins the tracks in quicktime, exports the "movie" although it does start at 80% but that completes quickly and goes fine apparently. The Join together starts up chapter tool and creates the chapters. Then it copies the file into itunes. Here's where something goes wrong.

When it copies the file, (I can see the copy in iTunes window) iTunes briefly shows fetching artwork. Join together pops up an error that says Applescript Error: iTunes got an error: File Permission Error -54.

The file join together just created is in iTunes and it plays fine. The only problem with it is that it only contains the name of the file. No artist or anything else. Join together is still runnin g trying to add the file to iTunes. I can close it and then start another file. Sam thing over and over.

I have my iTunes folder on an external drive so it's not in the normal location. Could that be the problem?

What other information can I provide to help resolve the issue or should I contact Doug directly? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Veteran Lounger

Have you tried ignoring permissions on the external drive? Get Info on the drive, then check the "Ignore ownership on this volume" box....

S2
Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM

Freshman Lounger

It was already set to ignore permissions. I unchecked and tried it. Same thing. Shoot.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Mod

Fixed

This is a reported error and has been fixed in Join Together v5.1.2, to be released on April 5, 2007.

The -54 is a file open error. iTunes is too busy examining the just-added joined file for volume information, so that the routine in Join Together that applies tags cannot be completed. The fixed version waits for iTunes to finish this process and then applies the tags after iTunes closes the file.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ah, great. It only started with iTunes 7.1.x. I've been rebooting quite a lot (the only way I could get it to work). I'll download the latest. Thanks, Doug.
BTW you didn't reply to my email and now I can't remember what it was about!

Martin

OK, found the email. I've posted it here:
http://forums.ilounge.com/applescripts-itunes-mac/195717-re-add-selected-tracks-podcasts-niggles.html#post1096294

Last edited by GetMeCoat; 04-17-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Topic: Join Together: File Permission Error -54

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.