It's running really slow

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

BuddyFey

My 1st-gen Apple TV is really slow. Menu selections are sluggish. Videos simply won't play. They try to start, then lose the audio and seize up. Sync runs, but takes way longer than it used to.

If it were a computer (yeah, I know, it is), I'd say the CPU was running slow, background processes were clogging it up, or memory was paging too much. That's the way it looks. Everything is there, just gets bogged down.

I've tried powering it off and on a number of times - no change.

Any ideas?

cjmnews

Staff member
Blow out the dust see if improved airflow helps.

Overheating causes processors to defend themselves by reducing power.

BuddyFey

Nice idea, but that's not possible.

It's a 1st gen. Completely sealed enclosure, no vents, no cooling fan...

It's always sat on a little metal baking rack to allow air all around. Not on top of any other electronics, either - off to the side in its own space. It's out in the open, too - not in a enclosed space.

cjmnews

Staff member
OK, I am not familiar with the hardware as I don't own one, yet.

Have you tried:
Resetting to factory settings?
Verifying that your network settings are correct?
Are you streaming through AirPlay?
Wired or Wireless networking?
Have you modified your network settings recently? Is the Apple TV in sync with them?
What OS is your computer using?

Unfortunately, most if not all the Apple TV help on the Apple site is for 2nd & 3rd generation. So we're kind of on our own.

Try checking a few things listed above, let's see where we can go from there.

BuddyFey

Sorry for not getting back to you. I've had to pay attention to some other stuff. Hoping to look into this sometime this week. I'll let you know if I learn anything.

kornchild2002

Is it a white Apple TV unit or is it a black puck looking device? The original Apple TV, i.e. the very first generation device, was a white device that looked like a Mac Mini. That one was released in 2007 and does have a ventilation port along with a fan for the processor inside (which was an Intel CPU). It wasn't until 2010 when Apple came out with the black puck version of the Apple TV and that one is completely sealed.

Support for the one released 8 years ago is going to be difficult because it is 8 years old at this point. It's time to give it to e-waste a get a new one for $69 ($59 refurbished). The model released in 2010 should still be good though it's looking long in the tooth by now and some services no longer support it. That being said, you can always factory erase the Apple TV (there's nothing on it, the black puck Apple TV was a streaming only device) and set it up again.