Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Remote app...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:50 AM

Senior Lounger

Remote app...

Is the new update to the remote app worth getting? I noticed that now you have to put in a password to get it to work??? Seems like a hassle. With the old version you could just open the app and take control of the ATV. Seemed easier to use. And you have to have a PC with iTunes on it to set everything up now. It was so much easier with the old remote app.

I deleted the new version from my new iPhone 5 and plugged it into my PC and got the old version. The one with the black triangle play button, and all is simple again. But am I missing something? Should I update to the newer version of remote?

And with my old version I can take control of any ATV as long as I'm on their wifi. Like at my sister's house or my parents' house. With the new version it wants me to password link to iTunes.

What am I missing? Why did they make a very easy to use app more difficult to use?

Thanks

| 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 4th gen Shuffle 2GB | iPad Mini1 32GB | iPad3 16GB 4G | Apple TV (gen 3) | 160GB Classic | iPhone 4 | 6th gen 8GB Nano | iPad1 32GB 3G | 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 2nd gen iPod touch 16GB | 3rd gen iPod 10GB | 5th gen iPod 60GB | 2nd gen 2GB Nano | 1st gen 4GB Nano | 1st gen 1GB Nano | 2nd gen Shuffle 1GB | 3rd gen 8GB Nano | 1st gen Shuffle 512MB |

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:20 AM

Veteran Lounger

I found no real difference between the old version and new versions, everything seemed to work fine from the start. I do not have to enter any passwords when connecting to my computer, or my ATV 1 and 2 with Remote. I simply select the ATV or iTunes I wish to control with out being prompted for a password. The difference may be the use of Home SHaring now to connect to devices. I have Home Sharing turned on all my iOS devices as well as ATVs which are always logged into my Apple ID. Home Sharing will automatically connect any device to any library associated with my Apple ID.

On my setup Home Sharing is enabled in the iPhones Settings/Music and tap the Home Sharing button at the bottom. Remote's Settings on both my iPhone and iPad Home Sharing is also turned on. It also has the option to add other iTunes Libraries not using Home Sharing by connecting it the old way using the passcode which I do not use. I would assume it will remember this The ATV should also have Home Sharing turned on and logged into your Apple ID.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM

It's also worth noting that the new second- and third-generation Apple TVs only support Home Sharing for the Remote app, and therefore require the new version.

I'm fairly certain the newest version of the Remote app still falls back to the older four-digit-code pairing style for first-generation Apple TV devices, so it really shouldn't make any difference in that regard.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Hollington View Post
It's also worth noting that the new second- and third-generation Apple TVs only support Home Sharing for the Remote app, and therefore require the new version.

I'm fairly certain the newest version of the Remote app still falls back to the older four-digit-code pairing style for first-generation Apple TV devices, so it really shouldn't make any difference in that regard.
The plot thickens...

I currently have the newest version of ATV. The 1080P version.

With the newest version of Remote I'm required to go through Home Sharing and use that 4 digit code. But if I use my old version of Remote I don't have to go through Home Sharing nor use the 4 digit code.

If I'm way off base let me know, but to the best of my knowledge this is what is happening.

| 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 4th gen Shuffle 2GB | iPad Mini1 32GB | iPad3 16GB 4G | Apple TV (gen 3) | 160GB Classic | iPhone 4 | 6th gen 8GB Nano | iPad1 32GB 3G | 4th gen iPod touch 8GB | 2nd gen iPod touch 16GB | 3rd gen iPod 10GB | 5th gen iPod 60GB | 2nd gen 2GB Nano | 1st gen 4GB Nano | 1st gen 1GB Nano | 2nd gen Shuffle 1GB | 3rd gen 8GB Nano | 1st gen Shuffle 512MB |

Last edited by XDRoX; 03-11-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Topic: Remote app...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.