iTunes not connecting to Apple TV - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iTunes not connecting to Apple TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Senior Lounger

iTunes not connecting to Apple TV

I have a 1st gen Apple TV. Just started up a new Win 7 64 bit PC, installed iTunes, and successfully connected to the Apple TV several days ago.

Just today, the Apple TV is not showing up in the devices on the left side of Apple TV. If I look at Edit/Preferences on the Apple TV tab, it lists my Apple TV as connected and shows it as syncing. But, it's not actually connected and syncing.

I did change from the pre-installed antivirus software to Kaspersky. I looked at the firewall settings for it, which did show Bonjour Services as permitted. The Apple web site says to be sure port 5353 is open, but I couldn't find anything in Kaspersky to permit a port by number.

Ideas?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:10 PM

Veteran Lounger

The entry for the ATV in Preferences lists ATVs linked to your iTunes. They will always appear there even when not connected till you remove them. Normally it is a network issue when the ATV is not showing in the Devices section of iTunes. You may want to disable the anti-visur and firewalls when trouble shooting. You should start by restarting all the devices including iTunes one at a time to find the culprit. Restart the ATV by holding the Menu and down buttons on the remote till it restarts selecting your language and "Restart" when prompted. If it still doesn't appear restart your router by unplugging it for a few seconds.

I found both generations of the ATV require a fairly stable wireless network. The ATV will disappear regularly on a marginal network with interference. You may want to try a different channel for you wifi on your router to try to minimize interference. My fix here was to set up a dual band network, a 5Ghz "N" only network for my newer hardware including my ATVs and a 2.4Ghz B,G,N compatible network for the older devices. This put my ATVs in a relatively interference clear spectrum in my neighborhood while all my devices can still see each other on the network.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 03-03-2012, 10:01 AM

Senior Lounger

Thanks, Sparkee, for your suggestion.

I restarted the router and the Apple TV and now it's back in iTunes.

I've had to solve so many complicated computing issues lately. 3 major virus tussles, 2 new computer startups in the last month. Guess I just naturally assumed it was something more complicated than it really was.

Topic: iTunes not connecting to Apple TV

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.