Why purchase Apple TV? - Page 2 - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Why purchase Apple TV?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 AM

Junior Lounger

well,.... i think i am going to go down to a computer place in my city called Simply Computing where they have an Apple TV all set up ..... (i will bring my ipod down with me) and i will see how the apple tv works .... this is a store that sells exlusively Mac stuff
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 AM

Veteran Lounger

I'm being very serious when I ask this question: I own a 20 inch JVC television that is not HDTV, that was purchased around 5-6 years ago, and has very sharp picture etc. My question is, would an Apple TV work on this?

If my dad has a 36' television that isn't LCD or Plasma (it does have a Rogers HD box hooked up) would it work on that?

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:10 AM

Sorry, but unfortunately the short answer is that if it's not HDTV, chances are slim that the Apple TV will work.

The longer verison of tha answer is that the Apple TV supports Component video and HDMI outputs only. If your TV doesn't have the necessary inputs, the you basically have no way of hooking up the Apple TV to your TV.

Some high-end non-HDTVs have component inputs, but it's unlikely any average TV would have them. HDMI inputs are only found on HDTVs.

There are converters available for Component to Composite/S-Video, but they tend to be expensive, as they're more complex than just a simple adapter plug -- they actually have to convert the signal. The resulting quality from most of these devices that I've seen is generally not worth the expense.

Keep in mind as well that the Apple TV menus and other screens are designed for 16:9 widescreen viewing as well.

The bottom line is that it's a device targeted specifically at HDTV owners.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM

Veteran Lounger

Alright, thanks for the info. It would've been neat as well if Apple released a 40GB version that was a bit cheaper for other televisions so they could sell more units. I know a 20' tv isn't realistic, but my parents' 36' is. (It's a Toshiba if that matters and has a dvd player, dvd/vhs recorder, Roger's tv recorder box and vcr attached. It does have an S cable attached as well). I think nowadays 36 inches is a reasonable size for a television.

Oh well, by the time my dad gets his much wanted LCD tv maybe Apple TV's will be a bit cheaper. Thanks for your help.

5G 80GB iPod Video, 2G 1GB iPod Shuffle, 2GB iPod Shuffle, 1G 1GB iPod Nano

iLounge: All things iPod, iPhone, iTunes and Beyond.

Proud iLounger.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

Apple TV will ouput a 480i signal, but your TV would still have to have component inputs.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:12 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hey, I am looking for a way to rip my DVD's that I already own into my mac to store and view on my computer, and if i ever decide to get one, watch on apple TV. Also, is there a way to take movies already downloaded on my computer, but not through itunes, and store them in itunes?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by themightyquinn
Hey, I am looking for a way to rip my DVD's that I already own into my mac to store and view on my computer, and if i ever decide to get one, watch on apple TV. Also, is there a way to take movies already downloaded on my computer, but not through itunes, and store them in itunes?
Read through the TV & Video section for software and tips. Most software have AppleTV and iPod settings but I opt for a high quality iPod conversion that will play on both the iPod and AppleTV. AppleTV files will not play on an iPod, yet, maybe the next gen iPods will. The files are better quality than an iPod needs and are acceptable quality for TV viewing.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM

Veteran Lounger

I finally got my AppleTV and find it to be the perfect solution for my setup. I just got the 40Gb model and stream my Video Podcasts, Movies and TV Shows through an 802.11g wireless network with no problems. I also synced my music and photos (iPhoto) to the ATV so it's available if the computer is off. It's worth it even for photo slide shows and listening to music with the album art since my TV is connected to a home theater system. The new YouTube feature works pretty well too but the video quality is quite low, my 10 and 12 year old nephews can't get enough of it.

I am just running it through a 480i standard definition JVC TV through the Component Video connection. Since the signal from the ATV is HD it squeezes the wide screen 16:9 video onto the standard 4:3 screen "squishing" the video a little. It is still very watchable and will do till I find a good 37-40" LCD TV sale.

The 160Gb version may have been nice to sync additional video to, but my computer is on most of the time anyways and streaming video works quite well even on the g network. Streaming also helps keep my Podcast and TV Show history (playcounts and New episode indicators) current in iTunes without a sync which is good for the iPod and when I take the laptop on the road. I may add a larger hard drive in the future as well some of the OS hacks that are available such as adding other video support, but I think I'll keep the warranty intact for awhile.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 PM

I have been thinking about purchasing an Apple TV as I recently purchased a HDTV with HDMI input and I would like to have the ability to access my entire music library on my HDTV and nice speaker system. However, I have a hard time purchasing a Apple TV as I have both a PS3 and Xbox 360. I can hook my iPod up to my Xbox 360 and play all of my audio files and playlists and my PS3 will playback unprotected mpeg-4 AVC files via HDMI.

I still might pick up an Apple TV but I think that if you have any one of these gaming consoles, the need for an Apple TV decreases.

128GB iPhone 6S Plus (soon) | Apple Watch 2 (not as soon) | AppleTV 2 (2012) | Microsoft Surface 3 128GB | Beats Studio Wireless | V-Moda Crossfade M-100 | UE Megaboom
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Freshman Lounger

Works for my family

It's on our main system, 55" HDTV, Denon AVR, Boston Acoustics speakers set up in 7.1 surround and zone 2 speakers (for music) in four other locations. The ATV is synched to an iMac and networked (streaming) to a macbook and 2 wintel laptops. Here's why we got it:

Navigation from the TV (iPod can't do that)
One big fat music library
Movie library
TV shows (synch'd and streamed)
YouTube - OMG it's funny watching with family

Sure the iPod can do a lot of this, but as a guy wrote earlier, my wife likes it simple and, frankly, so do I.

I'd love it if ATV could be my DVR, but life will get there.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 PM

Senior Lounger

I really wanted Apple TV when I first heard about it, and I still love the idea. But for me its really not worth it right now. I just doesnt give me enough over the classic because of how limited the iTunes movie library is.

Apple TV will be worth it when one the iTunes movie library gets more movies, I almost own more then iTunes does, and second they actually get HD movies.

20gig 4G White Ipod-semi retired
160 gig Classic Black Ipod
16 gig Iphone
Moto Razr V3i itunes version-gone
Apple TV
Old 12-06-2007, 01:04 AM

Junior Lounger

um

why dont people blow their $300 on filling the apple tv with video and movie contents instead of the actual apple tv.

i have both my laptop hooked up to my tv (not HD) for $8
and my ipod hooked up to my tv....

if you want a dedicated device for your TV, why not get a refurb desktop ($300) plus a 500gb HD ($100)??? i dont get it.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjchang
um

why dont people blow their $300 on filling the apple tv with video and movie contents instead of the actual apple tv.

i have both my laptop hooked up to my tv (not HD) for $8
and my ipod hooked up to my tv....

if you want a dedicated device for your TV, why not get a refurb desktop ($300) plus a 500gb HD ($100)??? i dont get it.

For you and I that would be a great solution, but you have to remember, even though it seems like alot of people could do something like that because of these forums, many people are technically illiterate. We are such a small percentage of the overall market its not even funny.

Ask my mom or dad to do something like that and they would be like huh? But they know how to fill an ipod and order movies from on demand.

So basically having something that is plug and play into a tv is a solution that 90% of the people need because there isnt much to figure out.

Put it this way, besides marketing one of the reasons the ipod is so popular is because its simple and easy to use.

You can give an ipod to someone who has never seen an MP3 player before and without instructions they can basically figure it out.

20gig 4G White Ipod-semi retired
160 gig Classic Black Ipod
16 gig Iphone
Moto Razr V3i itunes version-gone
Apple TV
Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Veteran Lounger

I have set up media PC's under both WinXP and Linux based systems all with TV tuners and wireless remotes, none come close to iTunes integration with Apples hardware. Many people do not want a big computer case with fans humming away in their living room. There is also many other media servers out there to choose from as well.

I have considered using a Mac mini connected to the livingroom TV and use it as a media server for it's small form factor and low noise level. An Apple TV is a great unit to extend the media server to another TV in the house, which I would continue to use. Along with the simple setup, all the playcounts and playback positions are also transmitted back to the server (I stream everything). All this info is synced to my iPods, AppleTV and iTunes on my computer. This lets me watch part of a movie on the AppleTV at home, then sync the iPod and pick up at the same position I left off when I get to a motel (I travel quite a bit for work). I also have quite a few TV show DVD's ripped to my external drive at home. The iTunes integration helps me keep track of what episodes of what ever shows I have played between my devices. Since I'm also a big fan of both audio and video podcasts, I can get my fix of podcasts on my TV, as well as other iPods, automatically when they are downloaded.

Sure you can easily set another computer as a media server, but you can't beat how iTunes syncs everything together between multiple devices. I spent the coin on the AppleTV and more than that amount on content, my 500GB drive is full and I'm looking for another. Apple still does not sell video here in Canada, so I have to rip everything from DVD. I wouldn't hesitate to get another ATV to connect another TV in my house to my media library.

If all you want is to watch the occasional video or movie on a TV, I would look at Sansa's TakeTV. Plug it into your computer like a USB thumbdrive, transfer a movie file, connect it to the TV and watch the movie. Much cheaper and way easier to set up than a dedicated media PC.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Junior Lounger

I'd been debating on the purchase of an Apple TV for quite some time. I have a pretty substantial media library that is already in mp4/H264 format viewable on the iPod or in iTunes on my PC.

I was happy with the option of connecting my iPod to the TV using a converter cable until recently. I just got tired of not having the ability to navigate the content or FF or REW from my couch without a VERY long converter cable. I was also starting to be unhappy with the picture quality on my 57" HDTV.

The decision was made for me when I received a 40GB AppleTV for xmas. I used it "as-is" for about the first 2 weeks while investigating the different ways to mod or hack it. There is a ton of information out there with quite a few newbie guides. I've also got the added convenience of working for a company supporting numerous MacBook Pro's that I've got access to, so creating the "patchstick" to enable the extra functionality was a breeze. This also made my decision to hack it easier since I could always restore it to factory state if anything got bunged up. If you don't have access to an Intel-based mac, the hacks are a little bit more challenging, but still possible.

Now, I've got a 250GB capacity AppleTV (thanks awkwardtv.org and appletvhacks.net) due to the USB drive hack plus the ability to play divx and avi files using Perian and Sapphire. I also have the ability to sync a large portion of my music/tv show/movie library thanks to the upgraded drive.

The added bonus to the AppleTV is that my wife and daughter can pick up the remote, navigate to the content they want to see and it just works. No having to constantly fiddle with it to get the functionality they want (which is pretty much plug and play). No having to explain to them how to use the device. It's very intuitive, but has the ability to be geeky enough for me to be happy to play with it outside of it's intended use.

I'm the technogeek in my house, not my wife so she was sold on how easy and convenient it was to just be able to ask me to sync a particular movie or TV show to the Apple TV and she could sit down and watch it with little to no delay.

As has been stated before, unless you are OK with using iTunes pretty much exclusively for your media content, an Apple TV out of the box is not the best choice for a media center device. but if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty and are reasonably tech proficient, and willing to research it, hacking it is one of the easier things to do. If you don't have an HDTV or at minimum a TV with composite inputs, it may also not be the best solution.

I just recently convinced a buddy to consider an AppleTV as a media center for his newly purchased 42" LCD HDTV. He was looking at building himself a media center pc running XP Media Center edition and could not find a solution that he was happy with for less than $1K. When I showed him what I'd done with my AppleTV and how it does pretty much everything he was looking for, he immediately started shopping for one and has made me promise to help him hack it once he gets it.

5G 60GB iPod | 5G 30GB iPod (bad audio chip) | 4G 40GB iPod (Dead hd) | 1G 512MB Shuffle (sold) | 1G 40GB AppleTV w/500GB external drive attached, ssh enabled
3G iPhone 16GB
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz (cracked screen, but external monitor works )

Topic: Why purchase Apple TV?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.