Sony MDR-EX71SL vs Sony MDR-E888LP

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ipod99

Firstly, apols if this has already been asked, i'm trying to decide between the two and as I have no means of testing them so would like a few opinions, esp. in terms of comfort. I've never bothered to buy high quality earphones and have been using the Sony MDR-ED268LP which are the best I've listened to so far but have broken a few times(v.poor quality). Anyway, all opinions welcome.

Jackonicko

Retired
This has been asked, hundreds of times.

The EX71 is far more comfortable (except for the sweat if you run with them - yuk!) while the E888 is comfortable only if you have the right sized ear (like the 268).

The EX71 provides much better isolation - keeping outside noise out to an extent which is dangerous if you're walking, running or cycling - and reducing leakage which might annoy your neighbour on the bus or tube. The E888 is a normal earbud.

The EX71 is easy to obtain in the UK, whereas the E888 needs to be ordered.

The EX71 provides very strong (but not very subtle) bass reproduction, thumping away like a good un. Those who like bass (to the extent that they need a big car for the sub-woofer in the boot, and who drive around shaking their windows and fillings out) tend to love the EX71, though in truth the new Philips beat them even for bass. But many think that the EX71 lack warmth and discrimination in mid and high tones (but what do you expect - their drivers are half the diameter) and sound a bit 'tinny'. Certainly every time I use mine (going into London and using public transport) I think they're great, until I come home and use the 888s again.

It's chalk and cheese basically. The EX71s are cheap earbuds which do bass quite well, but which are otherwise mediocre, while the E888s simply sound dazzling with clarity, fidelity and warmth. In sound quality, the consensus of opinion seems to be that the 888s are unbeatable at this price point.

As to comfort, it's entirely down to personal choice and ear size. If you find the 268 comfortable enough, you'll probably be ok with the 888 too.

But I wouldn't waste your money on 71s, personally, unless you need the isolation.

SunByrne

Podaholoic
Indeed, from what I've heard of the EX71s, they're nasty, in exactly the ways Jackonicko described. If all you care about is bloated bass, go ahead. If you want them for the isolation, try the Shure E2's instead...

On the other hand, I dunno about the E888s being "unbeatable at that price point." I mean, lots of people over at head-fi like the Senn MX400/500 better than the E888, and they cost way less. I think it's more correct to say of the E888s that "they're really competitive with a prodct that costs 1/4th the price" which I think is less strong than "unbeatable at that price".

Jackonicko

Retired
Sun Byrne

I own both the E888 and the Senny 400. There is no contest. The Senny is good (but big in the ear) and is noticeably better than the stock earbud. It's far better than the EX71. But the E888 represents a quantum leap.

You need to try the E888 if you're going to comment on it.

SunByrne

Podaholoic
If you'd like to send me a pair, I'd be happy to. :D

All I'm saying is that if you surf around head-fi (the headphone boards) for a while, preference between the MX400/500 and the E888 is split pretty evenly. Given the price difference between the two, that suggests that the MX400 is at least a viable alternative. You'll note I did *not* say that the Senns were better, but they certainly are competitive.

I just think people considering the EX71s should know about the Senns. Sony's marketing machine is so huge that lots of people just go to the Sony site and try to find whatever Sony is pushing as their top of the line, and I think that's a shame.

Jackonicko

Retired
I'm not dissing the Sennys, either. They mark a slight but worthwhile improvement over the stock earbuds, and wipe the floor with the EX51/70/71. They're extraordinarily good value for money, but while they're three times cheaper than the E888, that's still only $40 or so, and the E888 is easily worth that difference. The other thing is that the Sennys are huge, and even I find it a bit like having a pair of frying pans in my ear!

Sony do produce some complete crap, sometimes, and I give up counting the number of Sony pocket cassette recorders I got through as a young journo.

But the E888 represents all that's best about Sony. Cheap, cheerful, and with extraordinary performance.

SunByrne

Podaholoic
OK, then. So, there you have it, iPod99--you can beat the EX71s on the cheap, with the Senn MX400/500, or on the not-quite-as-cheap-but-still-cheap Sony E888.

PeinOmbre

That was quite interesting as I was hesitating between these two as well. I guess I'll have to find a store that has the E888's so I can try those babies! :)

DJ iFusion

I still dont understand the complaints of the EX-71 being overly bassy.

Maybe with other sources, but it compliments my gutless, bassless 3g iPod perfectly. They have a good synergy.