Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod AM Transmitter

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod AM Transmitter

Sorry if this has been answered, but when I did a search I keep getting everything with "AM" in it, like I am cool.. lol

Anyways.. Does anyone know if a Radio Transmitter, like iTrip has the abiulity to transmit in AM Radio frequencies, or know a trick to allow the iTrip to do so?

I would like to know because my friend has a classic car with only AM Radio in it, it would be awesome listening to tunes in that car from iPod!

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 PM

Junior Lounger

your ###, no one listens to AM any more
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 PM

Freshman Lounger

They are out there, but that's the problem, they are OUT there. Here's one I found from the UK: http://www.6v6.co.uk/candypress/scri...?idproduct=273

Or, just build your own:
http://www.engineering.com/content/C...entId=41008001

And flip9014, some of us still listen to AM. I just don't listen to FM anymore. Well, except for my FM transmitter....
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 PM

Junior Lounger

i wouldnt pay anything for that POS that guy is selling tell your friend to spurlge and get a FM RADIO like everyone else then you wont have this problem
Old 03-29-2005, 09:38 PM

Pro Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by flip9014
i wouldnt pay anything for that POS that guy is selling tell your friend to spurlge and get a FM RADIO like everyone else then you wont have this problem
That seems rather condescending. The original poster mentioned that his friend had a classic automobile. As such, part of the allure of the car may be the original condition of the various components. To replace the AM radio with a modern day unit would be considered sacrilidge.

That being said, why not look at some of the various portable speaker solutions? The sound would probably be better than an AM transmitter, and you wouldn't have to modify the car.

------------
16gig iPod Touch.
20gig 3G iPod (retired)
1.67 PowerBook 15 in.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Pro Lounger

He probably wants AM because there are a lot of cities with many FM stations, so to find an open frequency to set something like an itrip to is hard.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:51 PM

Senior Lounger

lol, flip is kinda funny when it comes to "commenting"

anyways, I think the AM transmitter would be useful in big cities (where FM is flooded)... since no one broadcasts in AM anymore

[ D e n Z ]
Old 03-29-2005, 10:08 PM

Junior Lounger

There could probably be a market for that kind of thing in big cities. I know me and my brother have a hard time watching movies in our van because the tv transmits radio waves that we pick up with radio headphones. Sometimes you cant even hear it.

4G 20 Gb
872 songs and growing. Only 5.19gb.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Senior Lounger

AM isn't as clear as FM, and even if no one is broadcasting on it, it still won't sound as good as an FM transmitter.

All repairs should be carried out with a hammer, if that doesn't work, use a bigger hammer, if it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

iPod, you Pod, we all Pod, its the iPod.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:11 PM

Freshman Lounger

hey, thanks for the replies, yes I do only ewant the AM transmittor for the classic car, not because I love AM Radio and I hate FM, or because I cant find a station just for the fact that we do not want to modify his car and keep it classic.

"They are out there, but that's the problem, they are OUT there. Here's one I found from the UK: http://www.6v6.co.uk/candypress/scr...p?idproduct=273"

This looks cool, but is there maybe something the size of the iTrip that you can just plug in, or am I asking too much? I do not know much about radios or how they work so I am going to ask this.. can I somehow modify the iTrip to allow AM Radio?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 12:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

I don't think you are going to find anything similar to the iTrip for AM. AM and FM are different "beasts". You won't be able to modify the iTrip to switch from FM to AM. At least not without a soldering iron and some serious R&D.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:32 PM

Junior Lounger

Does your car even have a cigarette plug in thing? My grandpa doesnt like fm and he always listens to am. He recently restored a 50's mercury. Pretty awesome.

4G 20 Gb
872 songs and growing. Only 5.19gb.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

maybe griffin will make one if enough people want one
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Yes, an AM transmitter for the ipod is available

A company called brewcityengineers.com sells a product called the RediRad which transmits on AM bands from your Ipod or any portable music device. It's a great product that plays through your car's OEM AM radio. Other people don't get this, but like you, I want to maintain my classic car's original appearance and hear the my classic tunes through the OEM radio. They have a video on Youtube and a website you can go to. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theController View Post
Sorry if this has been answered, but when I did a search I keep getting everything with "AM" in it, like I am cool.. lol

Anyways.. Does anyone know if a Radio Transmitter, like iTrip has the abiulity to transmit in AM Radio frequencies, or know a trick to allow the iTrip to do so?

I would like to know because my friend has a classic car with only AM Radio in it, it would be awesome listening to tunes in that car from iPod!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Pro Lounger

There is a better solution for classic vehicles, ( SECRET AUDIO ) i have install a few and they mount under the seat with a little remote in the glove box, works with ipod s and any other usb mp3

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

or use a new old style radio
http://www.casmfg.com/radios.htm

Topic: iPod AM Transmitter

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.