What are the differences between the SL & LP cord of the Sony MDR-EX81?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

duofold

I'm a first time mp3 player owner and would like to upgrade from the stock buds. After reading the glowing review of the Sony MDR-EX81 SL on iPodlounge, I'm about to pull the trigger on these but have a reservation on the 2 different models of 81's.

Jeremy's review went into detail on the cord of the SL version - 2 separate pieces of varying length (and he specifies each length).

However, the little tidbit about the LP version is that it is a single-corded earphone of medium-length (in comparison to what?). No dimension is provided for the cord length.

My concern is whether the LP cord is long enough so that I can keep my iPod in my front or back jeans pocket while using the earphones? I'm about 5'11" with a proportionate upper torso build.

Cost is a concern since the SL version is listed on Audiocubes for $57.00 while eCost only sells the LP for $32.99.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I've pored over the arguments for & against the Sony's especially in comparison to the ety's and the shure's, but $30-$40 is my upgrade budget so as long as the 81's satisfy an upgrade from the stock buds, I'll be happy.

ethornber

Sony cord lengths by product code:

SP: 0.5m straight-plug cord (measured from cord junction)
LP: 1.2m L-plug cord (measured from cord junction)
SL: 0.5m straight-plug cord (measured from cord junction) and 1.0m L-plug extension (cable length without plugs)

So unless you're over 7' tall or so, the LP is plenty of length to reach your pants pocket.

duofold

Exactly what I needed to know...but now I find that it's an L-plug, I don't know if this is a problem, especially as I'll keep it mostly in pocket.

Thanks again.

iDor

If you're thinking of buying these for running, and you have Xtrememac iPod armband, I think you should take the SL, because you won't be able to put the L plug fully in the iPod headphone jack, and the 0.5m with the straight plug can be fully inserted (you should insert the plug into the armband before the iPod, makes it much easier), and it's in the right length aswell, but the only problem is the 1 meter extension cord, it makes it very long, it bothers a bit, but you can mange, i'm sure :)
if it's worth the extra 25 bucks, is your decision.

Good luck!!