Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best Home Speakers?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-23-2005, 10:59 PM

Freshman Lounger

Best Home Speakers?

What in your opinion is the best in Home speaker set-up or speaker set that I can get for under 500USD that will give me rich in home sound. Doesn't have to be ridiculous surround theatre quality, just good strong,non-distortion sound?

Thanks.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 AM

Veteran Lounger

Panasonic SC-PM39D
5-disc micro system with DVD playback

I have last year's single-disc version. It's about the size of a shoebox, and sounds awesome.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FQjnxRL...0&I=133SCPM39D
Old 03-24-2005, 12:27 PM

Senior Lounger

Ther are literally 1000's of speakers out there for $500.00 and under.
If you want recommendations can you be a little more specific about your needs?
I am curious if you are looking for the tiny portable speakers that most users here are looking at or real,hi-fi speakers powered by seperate reveivers/amplifiers?
Do you already have a system and just need speakers or will you be buying the entire system?
What kind of room,what size speakers,what cosmetic considerations,have you seen/heard anything you like already?

You asked a really open question.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:08 AM

Banned

500 is a tricky price.. its enough money to get some awesome speakers or..... to get an awesome amp.. or get an awesome sub, but not all three

You can however go lowfi and get a cheaper system.. or you could get 1 component of a entry midfi system.. like a pair of bookshelf speakers.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:50 PM

Reclined Lounger

Paradigm are the best sound for the price.

www.paradigm.ca
Old 04-02-2005, 03:50 PM

Freshman Lounger

One word: 'ZVOX'

I considered buying the hugely expensive Bose (Blatently Overpriced Sound Equipment) that goes for $300 in Canada. But then I came across the single enclosed ZVOX 315, which is huge beside the SoundDock, but still quite portable. It has three front speakers and a rear-firing subwoofer. It also has a tunable phase control system that makes the sound appear to be coming from every part of the room. It costs $100 in Canada (they used to be $299, so they are obviously clearing them out).

Highly recommended!

Griff
Old 04-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Junior Lounger

Griff
Where did you see the Zvox in Canada?

4G 40GB+ contour case handed down to my son
5G 30GB White+Decal girl (Oz)+Evo3+B&O earphones A8
1G shuffle
Old 04-03-2005, 04:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

I got two of them from CompuSmart. They are selling for $100, but if you also buy a PC you get a $100 rebate. So basically they are giving them away! I guess they are not selling at all well in Canada.

I got them from the Burlington Ontario branch, but there are branches everywhere. You can also buy them online I believe (www.compusmart.com).

Good luck...

Griff
Old 04-04-2005, 01:12 AM

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by porieux

www.paradigm.ca
rofl
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Senior Lounger

If you are lookin for a system and not just the speakers I would take a look at the reviews from the Audiophile, Audiophile Voice, and Stereophile magazines (among others) for the Tivoli systems. The $160 Tivoli Model 2 with the optional $79 Model Subwoofer is probably the best. It is very small, a bit retro, and understated but pumps out audiophile quality sound you would apparently have to spend close to $1000 on a full size system to approach otherwise. It works perfectly with a direct input from the line-out port of the iPod dock or an iPod FM transmitter. There is also matching cd and satellite components if needed. Very, very nice.
http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...44&cat=&page=1

Last edited by bordeaaj; 04-11-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by porieux

www.paradigm.ca
I've got a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's and love them, certainly a very good bang-for-the-buck speaker (IMHO).

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 AM

Banned

Tivoli is definitely a quality product, but its no where even close to the sound quality of what you can get for 1,000 bucks, not even remotely close, Its a single 2.5/3" paper cone driver (no tweeter), there is not much it can do, Granted, tiviole offers a very nice solid cherry cabinetry, but only goes so far as to allow the driver to sound its best with minimal coloration. There is only so much the little tiviole drivers can do. Iím really not trying to knock it because I like the tiviolís I think its far better than the wave radio, but its not very economical because comparable priced multimedia systems are much better but they donít wont have as nice of a cabinet finish.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:49 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by 007
Tivoli is definitely a quality product, but its no where even close to the sound quality of what you can get for 1,000 bucks, not even remotely close, Its a single 2.5/3" paper cone driver (no tweeter), there is not much it can do, Granted, tiviole offers a very nice solid cherry cabinetry, but only goes so far as to allow the driver to sound its best with minimal coloration. There is only so much the little tiviole drivers can do. Iím really not trying to knock it because I like the tiviolís I think its far better than the wave radio, but its not very economical because comparable priced multimedia systems are much better but they donít wont have as nice of a cabinet finish.
Yeah, I agree it is pretty hard to believe that such a tiny system could sound as good as a $1000 system, it is just too small. But I have a Model 2 and it seems to sound at least as good as my two bulky $600 multimedia systems, a Panasonic and a Sony, and one fairly old Yahama receiver that cost about $400 by itself. Though the Tivoli does not have their tweakability or quite the room-shaking volume potential it is very capable of getting far louder than you can comfortably listen to without any distortion. I bought a big new house with a built-in entertainment center in the living room that aesthetically limits what kind of audio-visual components I can use. So I started looking for a small scale system and bought the Tivoli because the reviews from the audiophile mags were pretty unanimous on the quality. They made the statements themselves that you would have to spend $800-$1000 on a full size receiver, antenna, and speakers to better the sound and reception. The Panasonic and Sony systems I now use for entertainment systems on two big screens downstairs and the Yamaha for the ambient sound system throughout the house. I received lots and lots of advice from friends, relatives, and forums like this one before I ended up with the Tivoli. If you really want to get confused post a question like this on a stereophile forum...if 10 experts reply you'll get 10 different answers. The same goes when you ask advice in the electronics stores. I don't claim to be an expert or stereophile, but I did do a little research and I ended up trusting the many audiophile magazine reviewers, I figured these guys are the real experts, and I was definitely not disappointed in the purchase. The price, size, and sound would be perfect for almost any room if you like their retro style. It sounds awesome, hooks up nicely with my iPod, and just blends in with the furniture and you don't have to deal with an ugly stack of components and wires in the corner or on the bookshelf. There are a lot of great choices out there, and I don't doubt that there are better full-size systems in the $800-$1000 range, but to approach those systems for $160 ($240 with optional subwoofer) in such a nice looking, universally expert-appreciated & critically-acclaimed little package makes it well worth the consideration.

Though, one of those very affordable home theater-in-a-box systems might be a more efficient, fun, and useful choice as well...single component dvd/cd/fm/am, surround sound speakers with subwoofer...not bad at all.

Last edited by bordeaaj; 04-11-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:36 PM

Senior Lounger

check out the t-amp by sonic impact for your amp. It's small and ugly, but it's cheap ($35), simple (one knob), and rivals $350 and $500 (well, it actually beats teh $350) amplifiers.

It's 15 watts @4 ohms into 2 channels, but don't expect 15 watts with decent THD.

Check out the reviews of that, and I'd suggest using that for an amp. Then you can spend good money on speakers!

-Drew

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

40GB 3G iPod
IBM T42 - Win XP & FreeBSD
Athlon XP 2800+ & 1.5 Gig Ram, Gentoo & Mythtv
Dell Poweredge - 629GB storage & RAID 5 - FreeBSD
Old 04-08-2005, 06:13 AM

Freshman Lounger

i think a lot of the home speakers for the ipod are a bit overpriced. Check out the Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers.. it comes with a subwoofer in a 3 piece system.. these things are pretty powerful and you can get one for as low as $60 ... (coz some shops sell it for $79). Me and a lot of my friends have this system for our computers and ipods.

4th gen 20GB iPod
isee 20 case
Altec Lansing iM302WHT headphones/ Altec Lansing AHP-212 headphones/stock earphones
Altec Lansing ATP3 speaker system

Topic: Best Home Speakers?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.