Another Maxima dock install... - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Another Maxima dock install...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 03-12-2005, 11:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Another Maxima dock install...

After looking at some of the other in-car installs on here, I wanted to put something similar in my 2003 Maxima SE. Those plans were interrupted when the car was totaled (giving me a broken neck in the process) on Christmas Eve. (More info on the wreck, including pictures, is at http://www.billmoore.net/wreck.) My recovery from that has progressed to the point where I've gotten another car--and it happens to be another Maxima. My uncle had been trying to sell his 2000 SE for awhile, so I got a sweetheart deal on it. Anyway, new Maxima, same idea for wanting a dock in it.

I had looked at the Maxima installs done by dbett and iGuy on here, and I finally decided to do an install similar to iGuy's, with two major differences.

1) I wanted the dock's cup painted black. That white oval reflected in my windshield would drive me nuts.
2) I wanted to leave a lip on the dock cup, which gave me room for error in drilling the hole in the center console (which I wound up needing). It also gave me more room to work above the air vent.

For everything else, I used iGuy's post on his install for direction. Things went pretty much like his, including me breaking off the line out off of the dock the first time I tried inserting the center console back into the dash. So I had to pull the guts out of my other dock and sacrifice it to this project. Aside from that, the only other blunders were a scuff on the lip of the dash and a blown fuse when I went to wire up the power.

iGuy's install is here, for those who haven't looked at it. (http://forums.ipodlounge.com/showthr...threadid=32103)

I started out by pulling out the center console air vent, which just popped out after wedging a flat head screwdriver in to release the tabs. Separating the faceplate of the console from the vents was challenging, but ultimately was a matter of releasing 8 tabs. Then we got to work with the Dremel, drilling a hole for the dock cup and removing the excess plastic from the dock's top plastic piece. After trimming the dock cup to size and shaping the lip, it was time to sand and paint it. I used a vinyl and plastic spray paint recommended by the guy at the local Auto Zone. After getting the cup the way I wanted it, I super glued the dock connector into the dock, then super glued the dock cup into the console.

As I said above, I broke off the line out on the dock connector the first time I tried to install it back into the dash, so I replaced the electronic guts with the one from my other dock, then got the Dremel out and started cutting a hole in the underside of my dash so the electronics would fit. I had one nick on the lip of the dash when the dremel got away from me, but otherwise this part went smoothly. After a test fit without the vents, I put the center console back in successfully.

For power, I used a Griffin Technology PowerPod, which I modified and wired to get power from the back of the cigarette lighter plug in the lower center console. The line out from the dock goes to the Aux in on my Kenwood head unit.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results. I showed it to my mom, who said "If I didn't know better, it looks like it came in the car that way from Nissan."

Larger versions of all the pics below are at my website

Here's a closeup of the dock. Behind it, you can see my 'oops' on the lip of the dash that happened with the Dremel.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Maxima dock install...-dsc02118.jpg  

Last edited by darthbubba; 04-09-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:32 PM

Freshman Lounger

Beauty shot of everything in and working
Attached Thumbnails
Another Maxima dock install...-dsc02114.jpg  
Old 03-12-2005, 11:33 PM

Freshman Lounger

External view
Attached Thumbnails
Another Maxima dock install...-dsc02113.jpg  
Old 03-13-2005, 12:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Very sweet. Really like the inset look.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm in the process of installing my ipod the right way. I'm trying to figure out what I need to complete an installation similar to yours.

1. The extra lip around the cup. Is that simply the top of the dock sanded down, or is it an entirely new piece that you added on?

2. Does the line out of the dock provide enough power? Any idea if there is an amp within the dock?

3. Completely aside from the ipod, where did you get the dash kit for your HU? I can't seem to find one that has a lot of reviews to know if it is good or not.

Topic: Another Maxima dock install...

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.