Wired FM Modulators?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

sylver2

Maybe I'll try this. I've been looking for a cheaper alternative to listeneing to ipod in car. AThey seem to have one specific for 2000 bmw.

GavinD

Cheap solutions will give you poor sound quality. Get what you pay for IMO.

Pod of Thunder

mp3mooch said:
I was looking at the Scosche FM-MOD01 it looks like a better deal. Best Buy sells a similar FM modulator for $41.
Do you remember what the one at Best Buy was called?

mde83

GavinD said:
Cheap solutions will give you poor sound quality. Get what you pay for IMO.
We are talking about mp3 files here and unless they are ripped at 320 at at the very least, 192 then the FM Modulator will not sound noticibly different than the more expensive alternatives. Even at 192 the difference would be so small that with a factory deck you probably would not even pick up on it.

TheBum

mde83 said:
Even at 192 the difference would be so small that with a factory deck you probably would not even pick up on it.
I strongly disagree. All of my MP3s are at 192 and there are worlds of difference between my old factory deck/FM modulator setup and my new Alpine CDA-9851/KCA-420i setup. In the treble range, the FM modulator added enough hiss that spoken/sung "s"es often had a very rough, staticky quality that drove me nuts. In the bass range, my factory deck couldn't drive the speakers hard enough to get crisp bass, so the sound was always muddy.

So, when you combine the FM modulator noise problem and the lack of power in the head unit, upgrading to an after-market head unit with sufficient power and at least an aux input will likely noticeably improve sound quality.

mde83

TheBum said:
I strongly disagree. All of my MP3s are at 192 and there are worlds of difference between my old factory deck/FM modulator setup and my new Alpine CDA-9851/KCA-420i setup. In the treble range, the FM modulator added enough hiss that spoken/sung "s"es often had a very rough, staticky quality that drove me nuts. In the bass range, my factory deck couldn't drive the speakers hard enough to get crisp bass, so the sound was always muddy.

So, when you combine the FM modulator noise problem and the lack of power in the head unit, upgrading to an after-market head unit with sufficient power and at least an aux input will likely noticeably improve sound quality.
I said "WITH A FACTORY DECK" you probably would not notice the difference between a FM Modulator and a more expensive alternative. That means with the factory deck with an FM Modulator and the factory deck with a more expensive alternative you would not notice much difference at all at 192kps. You are comparing an Alpine deck/setup with a factory deck/modulator. OF COURSE there is a difference there....

TheBum

I contend that the treble issue would still be quite noticeable with the FM modulator vs. the alternatives (cassette, aux input adapter), regardless of the head unit. It's that bad!

sdcrym

But you have no basis for making that call besides telling us that's what you "feel." If you'd like to isolate the problem by reinstalling your old head unit and using one of the alternatives to the FM modulator that you mention above, then you can comment on the quality of the FM modulator.

Like mde83 is saying, you can't make two alterations to your setup and individually attribute any performance changes to one of those alterations. It's pretty basic science.