Amplifier for over the head earphones

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Holymoley

Does anyone have any experience with the "Boostaroo" headphone amplifier. I recently bought one from boostaroo.com for about $30 and have been fairly happy with it. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 880's and the boostaroo has made what was formerly a muted sound very alive. The ipod is not able to drive these headphones properly without an amplifier and I have found the boostaroo takes the sound to a pretty good level without causing any distortion or other irritating side effects. Bonus is that the boostaroo is compact enough that it can be carried in the same pocket (cargo pants) as my 40G and allows a "full" listening environment on the go or while working in the backyard.

Pretty cool

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
That's like fitting a Daewoo engine to a Ferrari chassis. But hey, it's your call.

Holymoley

Dodgy - what portable options are there that would be more in line with the quality of the 880's. I have checked into JMT's portable unit, and it was 5 times the price of the boostaroo to custom make a portable PIMETA that has two 9 volt batteries (which according to JMT are necessary for a power supply for these headphones) The other option is JMT's transportable amp which is 5" X 5" which is a little to big for my usage.

I am willing to try the custom portable PIMETA if I was convinced the sound quality was worth the difference in price. What are the pro's in your opinion of going this route and conversely, what makes the Boostaroo such a bad choice?

wstanley

If you're handy with electronics you could make a CMOY amp for about $30 or buy one on Ebay usually for @ $50. It fits in a round altoids tin and mine works great. Just google CMOY amp to read up on the options.

thedodgyguy

Declined Lounger
Holymoley, I'll be able to precisely answer your question in a couple of weeks.