Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: 2V vs 4V preamp outputs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 02-22-2005, 04:30 AM

Freshman Lounger

2V vs 4V preamp outputs?

Anyone know what the difference between 2 volt and 4 volt preamp outputs are? Is there any sound quality advantage to 4 volt outputs? I'm looking at an Alpine 9851 or 9853 and both of these have 2 volt outputs. I'm going to some amps and MB Quart speakers, so I want to make sure I'm not hurting anything by having 2V preamp outputs.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 AM

Senior Lounger

The difference seems like it would be 2volts.

This is the max. level the radio can send to an axternal amplifier to insure it can be driven to full output.
It has nothing directly to do with the speakers you use.
Some amplifiers have low input sensitivity and need a higher input to allow their full output.

Some Fujitsi radios put out 8 volts.I imagine this also allows the use of multiple amps where the extra voltage is needed to get them all going at the same time.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:15 PM

Junior Lounger

This applies to the preouts on the head unit, and if you are going to be hooking up amplifiers i can tell you right now it will make a huge difference. I am using a premier unit right now with 4v preouts and I wasnt satisfied with the signal strength so i bought a line level amplifier that will amplify the signal up to 8volts i think. It makes a huge difference in the amount you have to adjust the gain on the amplifier. I would try to get the strongest preamp voltage you can when you're buying a head unit, unless you won't be hooking up amplifiers, then it wouldnt matter.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:19 PM

Freshman Lounger

This is interesting. Well, the manager at Al and Ed's doesn't seem to think it's a big issue, so I guess I'll just wait until my 9853 is installed and then judge how it sounds. I'm going to be using Alpine amps so I'm guessing they'll work just fine together. I don't want to boom the whole neighborhood, just have good clear sound, so I don't think signal level will be an issue.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:11 PM

Junior Lounger

Its not that it makes it any louder necessarily, you can always adjust your volume on your head unit to make it louder. It will just give it a cleaner signal at a louder volume, meaning you won't have to turn up the gains on the amps as much to get a comparable volume. Higher voltage preouts are always better, but just because they are 2v or 4v doesnt mean it will sound bad.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:45 PM

Senior Lounger

It'll sound fine.....

Just set the amps on the low input setting (if you have a MRD-Mx01), and that'll work beautifully....

-Drew

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it." -Yogi Berra

40GB 3G iPod
IBM T42 - Win XP & FreeBSD
Athlon XP 2800+ & 1.5 Gig Ram, Gentoo & Mythtv
Dell Poweredge - 629GB storage & RAID 5 - FreeBSD

Topic: 2V vs 4V preamp outputs?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.