iPod in Africa (Long Term)

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

OsO

I've been nominated for a Peace Corp program in Africa... If everything goes ok I should have an invite in 3-8 months.

Music and books will be a real lifeline for me out there (27 months).

I have a 15g 3g iPod and a good friend just gave me a 40g 4g. It's a little early, but I want to start thinking about what to bring to keep them powered and working well for the trip. Speakers would be nice. Solar power perhaps?

Any suggestions for an iPod safari?

-oso-

archurban

ipod adviser
Website
web.mac.com
travel is always exciting especially long stay. well, you need world kit for adapter plug first. then, newly solor power battery which now is selling, rip all CDs if you have still them. prepare external harddrive for emergency. if you have notebook, take with it.

Africa map for discovery, hat, jungle boot, some knife, emergency life kit(^^), if you run Mac os x, you have to open Safari browser all the time (^^), mosquitos spray which is very strong one. African mosquito will kill you in a second(^^).

if you have more time, try to learn African language where you will go.

I remember my exciting jorney for 18 months in Argentina 2002. well, I went there because my business. I am an architect. so I had to finish international comission project in Buenos Aires for 8 months. language was big barrier to get over. but I really worked hard to learn Spanish for more than 1 year. my colleague was Argentinian. well, his Eliglish was just OK. but mostly I had to understand what they said.

now, I still practice Spanish. thanks to do that in 2002, my advantage is one more.

last year, I went to Spain to work a project with local architects because I can speak Spanish well. it was Barcelona.

I hope that you will have precious time, experience. it's not always to come. grab a good opportunity. make memories well.

good luck for your jorney.

OsO

Thanks for the feedback!

I'd like to take a laptop, but money and space might be a concern. I'm thinking of some sort of way to power the pods off of batteries, or the rechargeble add on as well.

I have a pretty large Audible collection and I'd like to be able to listen to it on speakers.

As to language, I hear the PC has a great program for that.

I am oso excited. :D

ottoman

Where are you headed to in Africa? My mini and I are going to be in West Afruca on the 28th of feb...

OsO

I don't know yet. I was nominated to Africa, but I could end up in any country the PC is in. How long will you be there? Taking any iPod stuff with you?

Bob

Retired
Website
forums.ilounge.com
Aside from the solar power option a in-car charger lead might be a good idea. You'll probably never be far from a vehicle and no doubt they will have a lighter socket in them.
There are several solar power setups you could purchase but make sure they produce enough output to power your gadgets. Another lounger was asking the same question some time ago and it turned out the iSun system didn't have enough power output for the iPod. Thread in question
The Solio system reviewed here charges its own internal batteries but needs a lot of sunlight to do so.

OsO

The Solio might just do the trick. Assuming it's sunny where I end up. ;-) Thanks! I hope they get them in the states soon...

Quasipodo

OsO said:
The Solio might just do the trick. Assuming it's sunny where I end up. ;-) Thanks! I hope they get them in the states soon...
if you're bringing your laptop along, I'd suggest u look at getting a solar panel that can charge your laptop as well! I can't remember what the brand was, but if you look in some of the PDA forums and resource sites you'll find it. The solar cells claim to be able to charge a laptop to full in about 7 hours... or something like that. I've also seen a backpack with solar panels all over it that'll charge your gear while you're carrying it.

BUT all that being said, I think MadPict has made a great point about not just relying on solar power. A car kit of some sort is DEFINITELY a good idea.

Personally I'm not too hot about the battery pack idea. If you're relying on rechargeables, you're back to sqaure one. If you're relying on disposable alkalines... at various places, they might be hard to come by. Of course, if the batteries die, you could always sing to yourself. LOL!

Last edited: