Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: RadTech Ice Creme Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-25-2003, 10:34 PM

Reclined Lounger

RadTech Ice Creme Review

Ok, I finally found the time to use the RadTech Ice Creme cleaner that was shipped to me for evaluation. I used the products as directed and I plan on giving an unbiased report. The reason I mention my report being unbiased is that I was actually shipped the product for free to evaluate, not full product but enough to evaluate (1/3 of each bottle).

The kit comes in two forms Ice Creme, and Ice Creme M (much like how there is iCleaner, and iCleaner Pro) Basically, with the M you get the metal polish included and I think a few more polishing and application cloths.

I had planned to take pictures as I went along with the testing but the iPod is not the most photogenic device of all time. The scratches I had were somewhat minimal because I have tried to keep it in a case at all times.

The kit comes with three products:
A- For deep plastic scratch removal
B- For lighter plastic scratch removal and for restoring the shiny finish
M- For removing scratches from the metal backing

I started out by using B, since that is what the instructions said to do. I made 2 applications and switched to A to get rid of some of the deeper scratches I had on the screen. I did about 4 applications of A, and then switched back to B to get the shine back. I think I did about 7 applications of B to get it nice and new looking.

Overall I think the plastic polishes (A & B) worked very well, I was able to remove a visible scratch from the Lucite screen, and many minor scratches from the rest of the iPod. The part that I was most happy with was the fact that it didn't leave any circular scratch marks on the front of the iPod. When I used the B polish very lightly it took out any swirl marks I had. I highly recommend RadTech Ice Creme for the white plastic surface, it did a great job!

As for the metal polish (M), I was not as satisfied with the results. I applied about 6 applications of the metal polish and it didn't remove the scratches very well. I had two visible scratches, not deep but visible, that remained even after 6 applications. I pressed hard as the directions suggested but the scratches are still there, as are several of the smaller scratches. One thing the metal polish does do well, however, is bring back that mirror like shine. So even though it didn't fix my scratches it did make my iPod look like new.

So there you have it. The metal polish set may not be worth picking up, but I definitely recommend the RadTech Ice Creme basic set for removing scratches from the plastic surface.

Mike

"Graphic Designers are the witch doctors of commodity fetishism."

Last edited by vanillamike; 08-25-2003 at 10:37 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 08-26-2003, 01:08 AM

Junior Lounger

Tnx for the review Mike
Old 08-26-2003, 02:11 AM

Reclined Lounger

yeah..that was great!

>>>>>>iPizzle<<<<<<
Old 10-01-2004, 12:16 AM

Life's what you make it!

Worth...

Thanks for your review Mike.

So could you lay your opinion on the line and say whether you think the product is worth it? Here in NZ I would pay around 60 dollars. 60 dollars here is really no different to paying 60 dollars in the US or 60 pounds in the UK. I can for example buy 12 beers for 60 dollars...

How many times do you think you could use the full blown product before the cloths or polish would run out?

Snapper

Life's what you make it...
Old 10-02-2004, 08:54 PM

Pro Lounger

and btw after 12 beers you wouldn't notice a scratch on your own face let alone your ipod!
i say buy the beers!

"Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture." Dogbert
Old 01-23-2005, 05:17 AM

Life's what you make it!

Talking BEERS!

The beers idea is a good one I say.

Just a thought, Mike, you recommended this for the white acylic areas, but what about the screen cover itself?

A scratch on the screen cover is annoying as you then get shadows when looking at the LCD.

......?

Snapper

Old 01-23-2005, 05:22 AM

Veteran Lounger

The white lucite cover is the same cover that goes over the screen. It's one piece of material.

20 GB 3G | 4 GB nano | 512 MB shuffle | 2826 songs, 8.5 days, 15.45 GB
2.16 GHz MacBook Pro | 1 GB RAM | 100 GB HDD

iTunesRegistry.com: 2,069 tracks, 3.076 diversity
My Audioscrobbler
Old 01-23-2005, 05:26 AM

Life's what you make it!

Thanks James, it was just that Mike said "I highly recommend RadTech Ice Creme for the white plastic surface, it did a great job!" so I did wonder...

I'm litterally about to buy some, oh and have a beer! ;o)

Thanks again!!!

Snapper

Topic: RadTech Ice Creme Review

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.