iPod Speaker Dock - Which one?!

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Kikoman

SUSPENDED - Abusive Language
I would like to buy an iPod speaker dock for meh' beloved iPod... But Im having trouble deciding! Price is not an issue (under $300, please), and this is what I want:

Bass
Quality
Built-in dock made for iPod
No batteries!

So, Ive seen some from Klipsch, but I dont know enough about them....

Recomendations would be appreciated.

The inMotion speaker set seems good, but it is awfuly small :confused:

RustA

If money is no object, I'd go with the Bose SoundDock ($299) just because of overall quality and style. It also exceeds all of your requirements and just meets your price range. Expensive, but worth it.

Kikoman

Hmmm, I cant trust Bose, even though they have quality, I think they could rip me off. But I might get that if it is worth it like you say.

RustA

I think it's worth the high price. I don't own one myself, but I have used one and I plan to get one as soon as possible. If you feel like you aren't getting enough bang for your buck then that is certainly understandable, but what's important to me is clear, crisp music quality, and Bose delivers in that area.

enjoilax

RustA said:
I think it's worth the high price. I don't own one myself, but I have used one and I plan to get one as soon as possible. If you feel like you aren't getting enough bang for your buck then that is certainly understandable, but what's important to me is clear, crisp music quality, and Bose delivers in that area.
No it doesn't. Bose has the worst price to performance ratio in high-end speaker systems.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bose = Buy Other Sound Equipment

Last edited:

Kikoman

Thats exactly what I mean... Just because Its a big name company, they feel that quality doesnt matter because they know people will by it...

I compare it to IE... IE is respected because its from Microsoft, yet its not the best. Firefox is the best. Soo...

Parrothead Phan

Go Terps!
Kikoman said:
Thats exactly what I mean... Just because Its a big name company, they feel that quality doesnt matter because they know people will by it...

I compare it to IE... IE is respected because its from Microsoft, yet its not the best. Firefox is the best. Soo...
I compare it to Apple. When it comes to the iPod, they know people will buy it, just because of the name alone. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best value for the dollar.

RustA

enjoilax said:
No it doesn't. Bose has the worst price to performance ratio in high-end speaker systems.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Bose = Buy Other Sound Equipment
So do you have another suggestion? I was pleased with the in-store performance, but if you have a better alternative, by all means please let us know.

Kikoman

Bah, the iPod is a great peice of hardware... I thought it was well worth it. The design of the product is great... No screws visable, no crappy buttons, smoothe chrome, and no ###-ugle battery hatch :)

Anyway, yes, what is a better alternative? I really want one... And quick 8|

bigshot

Website
www.vintageip.com
If you want bass, you would do better to just connect a dock to a good stereo. Most of the iPod docking speakers are designed to be portable. That necessitates a big trade off in sound. If you're looking for good sound quality, and portability isn't an issue, you should just look for a small stereo system that you can connect a dock to.

I use the inMotion speakers, and I am very happy with them, but they are small, and the sound is more of a small boom box quality than it is a home stereo.

See ya
Steve

enjoilax

RustA said:
So do you have another suggestion? I was pleased with the in-store performance, but if you have a better alternative, by all means please let us know.
Frankly all of them suck but if you have to have one, i would take the iM3 or the Soundount thinger.

Depends on what you are using it for. The round speaker system is good for like group listening, but the iM3 is good for personal listening.

Which in that case i would get a nice pair of uber headphones.

Kikoman

iM3 looks like it will be the one... Do you know if they have them in Best Buy? I really dont want to pay $32 for shipping.

Oh yeah, Im using this for personal use.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 Speakers? I could use those to play Halo 2 also... :)

Last edited:

enjoilax

Kikoman said:
iM3 looks like it will be the one... Do you know if they have them in Best Buy? I really dont want to pay $32 for shipping.

Oh yeah, Im using this for personal use.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 Speakers? I could use those to play Halo 2 also... :)
i think you need to know exactly what you want.

Heres what i think

Personal speakers (iM3 etc.)<Hi-fi headphones< Big arse speaker set.

If you need a new speaker set, get the 5.1s, if not, get the high end earphones.

Banned
RustA said:
If money is no object, I'd go with the Bose SoundDock ($299) just because of overall quality and style. It also exceeds all of your requirements and just meets your price range. Expensive, but worth it.
Klipsch iFi beats the sounddock up and down left and right and in every other dimension that’s exists in this universe

it will be out in April and prices will most likely drop down to 300 dollars. If you are even thinking about spending 300, then the iFi is a must have.

If you are thinking about Klipsch, consider the pm 2.1's and gmx-a 2.1's. They are great for the price, but don't match the iFi for overall sound quality, or bass extention and they dont dock the ipod. Personally, I would get the 2.1's over the GMX because of the midrange. The 2.1's have about 4 to 5 times more power per channel. However, the GMX subwoofer is slightly better with greater depth and less port noise.

Last edited: