Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod and Ford Focus: Is there a solution?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-05-2004, 09:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

iPod and Ford Focus: Is there a solution?

I have a 2003 Ford Focus with a factory Blaupunkt system.

After days of research and asking around, I still cannot get an answer as to whether I will be able to hook up an iPod to my car stereo.

I don't care about being able to control the iPod from the head unit, and I refuse to spend over $100.

Although many of the products I've researched claim to work with a 2003 Ford Focus, few mention if that includes the Blaupunkt HU. I haven't come across anyone who's actually gotten it working who has the same car and head unit and I.

Is there a solution?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 PM

Former Zen Master

The Soundgate ALF1V5 module will allow you to connect an Alpine CD changer. However, with, I believe, a KCM-122B cable you can, instead, connect an iPod or any other audio device. Check with the manufacturer to make sure what kind of connector is on the ALF1V5 module.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

The part I don't like is that there is no way of knowing that it will work. Although it says it is for Ford, I do have a Blaupunkt head unit. I have heard that it uses Ford connectors, but that isn't verified.

And I don't understand what the ALFD1V5 has to do with my situation. What would that do?

EDIT: Whoa! The ALFD1V5 is apparently a bit out of my price range, although I do now understand what you were talking about.

Last edited by pluggedi; 12-06-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 AM

Junior Lounger

You need to find out your exact model number/name of your stereo.....

Most factory systems do no come with an aux input capability. If yours does then its a simple process cos you don't care about being able to control the ipod from the head unit. Just a question of which cable.

Next thing you need to know is if you have a CD changer or if your stereo is capable of controling a cd changer. (Ford should be able to give you all this info on your stereo) Finding out the model of the compatible cd changer will help. Most factory stereos allow the input of audio through the cd changer connection. Just a matter of finding the adapter cable with the conector to the stereo (again Ford might help.... a google search might too).

If you want a system capable of controling the ipod then have a look at the info pages for something like the Dension Ice>Link

Blaupunkt:

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...IA_AFTERMARKET

I've checked for Ford focus on the website but it isn't listed.... but that site is for the usa.... if your a us chap then you might not be able to get it for ford and have to go with blaupunkt.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 AM

Former Zen Master

The budget is less than $100.

I guess you're stuck to using an iTrip or similar unless you can find a "hack" of some sort on the net.

Check Blitzsafe, they have a listing for an 03 Focus.

Last edited by bluntman; 12-06-2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:26 AM

Junior Lounger

Didn't see the part about budget of less than 100....

Personally (and it is my only opinion) I think that you should opt for a direct line in solution that covers charging and mounting the ipod. This is probably going to be above budget.

The ipod is expensive because of its fashion statement and its capacity. Why ruin the looks and sound quality of all that stored music by not accesorising it properly. Just seems to be a simple fact that at the moment its either a nice clean install direct to the stereo for over 100, or a crappy fm transmiter or tape adapter for less than 100.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 AM

Freshman Lounger

My head unit doesn't really have a model number, because it is neither a true Blaupunkt nor a true Ford. I assume it has a place for a CD Changer, based on the on the fact that it says "CDC" on the front as an option. It does not have an Aux In.

And so far, the cheapest I've found is http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACAUXBOX. Would this work (with the correct adapter)?

Last edited by pluggedi; 12-06-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:47 AM

Junior Lounger

Your stereo will have a model number or a name...... Your Ford should at least have a hand book telling you how to use it..... In there you will find details of the model. If its neither a true ford or a true blaupunkt then it has to be a true something.

Its probably like most stereos which are made by some company for the car brand. My VW new beetle stereo is branded with the vw logo and new beetle logo, but made by blaupunkt. It has the user guide (how else are you going to know how to use it) and in there is the specifics about it. Failing that Ford will know it and will probably know what to suggest.

Until you know the specifics of your stereo then you will not be able to get any definate feedback or do any definate searches for products.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

i have this same car and stereo

i have this same car and stereo and as far as i know there is no solution as of yet. i talked to the guy at my ford dealership and he just stared blankly at me. the problem, or what i've heard of it, is that b/c it is neither a blaupunkt nor a ford, ford kept the rights to the thing and didnt allow blaupunkt to install the traditional blaupunkt connector. instead it has a generic ford connector for the cd changer. unfortunatly, ford never gave permission for anyone to write software to control or modify the blaupunkt head through a ford connector or something like that.

Topic: iPod and Ford Focus: Is there a solution?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.