Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: best in ear headphones, which ones, and btw, who can afford the shure E5C???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 12-05-2004, 01:20 AM

Senior Lounger

best in ear headphones, which ones, and btw, who can afford the shure E5C???

wtf??? why in bloody hell are these headphones so expensive? that is so ridiculous!

i currently have the apple in ear head phones for 39.99, which are not bad, but i was looking for something better. i have read that people like shure...is it that good?

how are these sony fontopias?

i dunno, i guess to each is own...

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:51 AM

Senior Lounger

its not ridiculous when u listen to them. the BEST are arguably the ultimate ears ue-10 in ear monitors. use by most of the music industry's top artists during their concert. i use the shure e2 (50-100 bucks) and i can assure u that they will destroy the apple in-ears
Old 12-05-2004, 02:00 AM

Intelligentleman

You know you should really try those earphones out before you label them as "ridiculously expensive", which is a very premature judgment.. If you want to buy a good budget pair go for the Sony MDR-EX71SL's (or MDR-EX51LP's) which can run you about $30-35 from Amazon. If you want to take a step up you could get the Shure E2c's here for a ridiculously low, $65...

-Dan
Old 12-05-2004, 10:02 AM

Junior Lounger

I bought the ATH A900 for 200 and the AKG 271 sometime ago for 220 and getting a PortaCorda MK II amp for 125 (standard price 220)
Old 12-05-2004, 11:56 AM

Senior Lounger

i know, i need to listen to them first, but comeon...how much better can they sound to justify that price? i mean, that thing costs 1.5 times my 4G ipod!! that is crazy. but i guess i should try them. but yeah, i guess my main choices now are between the sony 71's and the shure e2...
Old 12-05-2004, 12:43 PM

piggott.

Quote:
Originally posted by eugchen
i know, i need to listen to them first, but comeon...how much better can they sound to justify that price? i mean, that thing costs 1.5 times my 4G ipod!! that is crazy. but i guess i should try them. but yeah, i guess my main choices now are between the sony 71's and the shure e2...
I just got my E5c's today, and right off the bat I can tell you they beat the pants off my Ety ER-6i's ... They are really incredible phones - if I had to do it all over again, I'd order them again in a heartbeat.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:14 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by mavis
I just got my E5c's today, and right off the bat I can tell you they beat the pants off my Ety ER-6i's ... They are really incredible phones - if I had to do it all over again, I'd order them again in a heartbeat.
I would expect them to as they are 500 dollars . The question is, do they beat the 129 dollar Ety ER-6i's enough to justify the almost 4X price increase .
Old 12-06-2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shuurajou
I would expect them to as they are 500 dollars . The question is, do they beat the 129 dollar Ety ER-6i's enough to justify the almost 4X price increase .
Actually, you can purchase the Shure E5's for approx. $380US, quite a bit cheaper than the MSRP of $500US.

3G 20GB iPod | Contour Showcase | Shure E5 | Ety ER-4P
Old 12-06-2004, 03:17 PM

Intelligentleman

Quote:
Originally posted by shuurajou
That really depends on what you're looking for in your music. The E5's would take care of the highs and mids nicely, but especially the bass because of the dual drivers it uses.. Shures are known to have more of a warm sound compared to the colder and precise sound of the Etymotics. Many find the highs and mids of the Etymotics, especially the ER-4P's, to be very good, but the bass not too great.. Many also think the Etymotics, because of their emphasis the accuracy of the notes, sound too cold, and the music doesn't sound as it was intended to be...

So to answer your question, probably not since you may like the highs and mids of the Etymotics and also would find them fine.. Unless of course you are a basshead where the E5c's would sound incredible with the dual drivers. The bass found with the Shure E3c's, however I hear isn't bad. When an amp is added though it would give a nice bass boost... Honestly I probably would not find them worth it, but I haven't given them a try yet, so I can't fairly judge them..

After doing research I think I've found the best choice between good sound and price and so will be getting the Shure E3c's this week maybe..

-Dan

Last edited by Doug Gilmour; 12-06-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

I'm largely into headphones. Got some ATH-A900's, HD-600's, HD-25's and an amplifier to help them all out, but obviously none of those (bar possibly the HD-25's) are going to be suitable for real portability. I've ordered a pair of Ety ER-6i's, as they were designed for use in the iPod and won't hurt my wallet too bad - it's already been wounded fatally from buying a 40GB iPod this month .
Old 12-06-2004, 03:59 PM

Junior Lounger

Best Earphones

This is an on going debate and is dependant on the users tastes. I have used the Shure E3's and now have gone with the Etymotic ER4P. When I was testing out the Shure's, I sampled the 2,s, 3,s and 5 series of headpphones and my personal favorite were the 3's, they had a better overall sound that I preferred. Now after acquiring the Etymotic ER4P I hear a big difference in clarity but bass is lacking a bit so I am expirementing on how to boost the bass. I sold off my Shure's and made the Etymotic ER4P my primary choice. Like they say "to each his own". Best of luck...

(2)iPod Video 80GB (Black/Silver)
2G iTouch 64GB
Apple TV 160GB
Old 12-06-2004, 04:06 PM

Intelligentleman

Re: Best Earphones

Quote:
Originally posted by untchble
This is an on going debate and is dependant on the users tastes. I have used the Shure E3's and now have gone with the Etymotic ER4P. When I was testing out the Shure's, I sampled the 2,s, 3,s and 5 series of headpphones and my personal favorite were the 3's, they had a better overall sound that I preferred. Now after acquiring the Etymotic ER4P I hear a big difference in clarity but bass is lacking a bit so I am expirementing on how to boost the bass. I sold off my Shure's and made the Etymotic ER4P my primary choice. Like they say "to each his own". Best of luck...
Perhaps you should invest in an amp, possibly a Cmoy to boost the bass. I've never tried the Etymotics so I wouldn't know if it'd work... My amp gives a lot of bass though so I don't think there would be an exception..

-Dan
Old 12-07-2004, 03:34 PM

Senior Lounger

well i bought the shure e2c on amazon last night....hopefully these will be the ones i keep...i need more bass, my apple in ear suck at that.

still can't see how anyone could spend so much on earphones at 500 dollars and up...i saw some for 700-800 also...not sure of the brand. that is insane.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:51 PM

1,2, WOOP WOOP

Re: best in ear headphones, which ones, and btw, who can afford the shure E5C???

Quote:
wtf??? why in bloody hell are these headphones so expensive? that is so ridiculous!

i currently have the apple in ear head phones for 39.99, which are not bad, but i was looking for something better. i have read that people like shure...is it that good?

how are these sony fontopias?
Better than your Apple in-ears.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:02 PM

Intelligentleman

Quote:
well i bought the shure e2c on amazon last night....hopefully these will be the ones i keep...i need more bass, my apple in ear suck at that.

still can't see how anyone could spend so much on earphones at 500 dollars and up...i saw some for 700-800 also...not sure of the brand. that is insane.
Congrats on the new E2c's! You should like them. Post back here when you receive them!

Honestly that is not that much money compared to some others.. Of course $800 is a lot, but there are much more expensive pairs around. I know "thedodgyguy" has a pair of Stax that cost around $8000 or so...

-Dan

Topic: best in ear headphones, which ones, and btw, who can afford the shure E5C???

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.