Bose SoundDock - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Bose SoundDock

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM

Junior Lounger

Bose SoundDock

I ordered the Bose SoundDock speakers from the Apple site last week and they just arrived. I have the Altec Lansing inMotion as well. The sound comparison is like night and day! A really big difference in sound quality that is really noticeable at higher volumes. I am now going to sell the Altec Lansing portable speakers.

The pictures of the Bose system are deceiving, the size is only marginally larger than the Altec Lansing inMotion speakers.

A really strong recommendation to spend the extra money for the Bose SoundDock. Without a question it blows the inMotion's away!!!

(2)iPod Video 80GB (Black/Silver)
2G iTouch 64GB
Apple TV 160GB
Old 09-28-2004, 02:49 AM

Veteran Lounger

Too bad you have to sell your spleen (or other organs) to afford them!
Old 09-28-2004, 11:56 AM

Junior Lounger

Bose SoundDock

In response to Galley's statement; "Too bad you have to sell your spleen (or other organs) to afford them! "

Trust me it is worth it!!! Just don't sell your ears :-)

(2)iPod Video 80GB (Black/Silver)
2G iTouch 64GB
Apple TV 160GB
Old 09-29-2004, 01:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Spleen market isn't what it used to be...

Actually, given that you can live quite comfortably without your spleen (save a few flu shots...) you might be doing well if you could sell yours in return for something so useful. Of course you would have to endure the rigours of surgery...
Old 10-01-2004, 09:49 AM

Freshman Lounger

Speakers

I'm about to buy my first ipod - likely to be 40 Gb or 20Gb. I need to set up some speakers at another property (ipod will mean that I don't have to drag CDs every time).
I've looked at the ipod speakers available - Bose, Altec Lansing, but are they powerful enough. I don't need industrial output, but I do want to fill a large room for dancing.
Does anyone know which is the best option? Alternatively, I could rig up the ipod to normal amp and speakers. Any thoughts?
Jenks
Old 10-02-2004, 02:25 AM

Young-Kyu Yoo

The Altec Lansings lack volume. JBL's On Stage and the Bose Soundock pack a lot more punch. Each has its plusses and minuses. The Altecs are the most portable, the On Stage is almost as light but it can't be powered by batteries, and the Bose also can't be powered by batteries and is very heavy (a good five to six pounds). I had the Altecs (both the old inMotions and, briefly, the new iM3s) and just got the On Stage and the Bose. The On Stage will be my new travel speakers and the Bose will be for my living room. I'm keeping my old inMotions for the sake of nostalgia. I returned the iM3s because it sounded even weaker than the old inMotions.

None of the speakers are loud enough for a headbanging party, but the JBL and Bose would do for a dinner party.

The Bose has more volume and better bass, but the JBLs have more mid-range and a more accurate high end. If the JBLs had better bass, I'd just return the Bose. It's not the Bose bass is that good, but the JBLs are pretty bad at the low end...but when can you expect from a lightweight portable speaker.

Last edited by yyoo; 10-02-2004 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:44 PM

Pro Lounger

Thanks yyooo, that helps so much. I wanted the IM3, but the honest truth is that I probably won't use the IM3 at the office much. Once the novelty wears off from having them, they'd probably sit on my desk anyway. Point being I think the Bose will be my choice. I can't really argue with a name like Bose. The Onstage are the best looking in my book, but I didn't see a remote and I want a remote.

I don't want to spend $300, but I will if that is what it takes to get decent speakers for my ipod.

The only thing is that I wish they sold them at best buy. If they would, then my work would pay for them.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:53 PM

accidental lounger

Re: Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by clairejenkinson
I'm about to buy my first ipod - likely to be 40 Gb or 20Gb. I need to set up some speakers at another property (ipod will mean that I don't have to drag CDs every time).
I've looked at the ipod speakers available - Bose, Altec Lansing, but are they powerful enough. I don't need industrial output, but I do want to fill a large room for dancing.
Does anyone know which is the best option? Alternatively, I could rig up the ipod to normal amp and speakers. Any thoughts?
Jenks
then get the JBL creature speakers...they have a stereo-mini that plug right into your ipod. the travel speakers are good for portable speakers, but it doesn't sound like you need battery operated portables, you just need speakers. go here ----> http://www.jbl.com/home/products/pro...Id=HMM&sCatId=

iPOD mini | Gold
Sony MDR-EX71SL Earphones | White
Marware Convertable | Innopocket Aluminum
15" Aluminum PowerBook G4 | Airport
JBL Creature Speakers
Lacie 160GB | 5,118 Songs
Sony Ericsson T616 disguised as a T630
Old 10-10-2004, 09:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by moxxi
I can't really argue with a name like Bose. [/B]
As we say in the world of theatre sound... "With a name like Bose, it has to be... expensive." "No highs, no lows, must be Bose." "Bose: Better audio through marketing."

Though to be fair, that's just for their pro equipment. Their home stuff is good.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:08 PM

Pro Lounger

I went and looked at the IM3 setup at Compusa. It is hard for me to lay down $300 on speakers that are going to sit near my bed so I can use the ipod as my alarm clock. At work I listen to headphones because #1 i don't want to disturb people, #2 I sometimes think the less I hear the better, #3 I love my music loud.

I have almost decided to get the IM3 speakers. Maybe they're not Bose, but they didn't sound half bad in Compusa. And if I hate them I can take them back.

"Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture." Dogbert
Old 10-11-2004, 09:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

I just received the SoundDock. I also have a Bose WaveRadio/CD, which is usually how I enjoy my iPod at work (through the Aux port). Some comparisons and observations: The SoundDock (SD)is tinnier and does not have as well defined bass as the WaveRadio (WR). The SD is much lighter and easier to use as a portable device (assuming you have 120V). BUT, the SD is definately not built as well as the WR. Cheap plastic, and the docking area is quite fragile, rocking up and down if you move it off a table. Additionally, the inserts for the iPod do not hold it as securely as the docking station (supplied with the iPod). When you touch the buttons or scrollwheel, the iPod leans backward---it seems loose. And lastly, the SD has a 6 ft cord that connects to a 2.5X6 inch transformer box. This then has a cord which connects to the rear of the SD. But the cord connector to the SD is very poorly designed, with 4 pins in a square configuration. So, if you are not careful. you will plug it in 90, 180, or 270 degrees out of alignment! I did it wrong and it sparked at me! There is a little raised dot on the plug which designates "up", but without carefully reading and plugging it in, you could ruin it. The SD seems to be something that they designed to use in one place, and not to be lugged to the office everyday.
I am sending it back and keeping the WaveRadio, which works GREAT (although it is heavy). My recommendation (if you have the bucks) is to buy the WaveRadio for $349
Old 10-27-2004, 05:06 AM

Junior Lounger

Can you use the Sound Dock as an alarm clock? would it play music?
Old 10-28-2004, 01:06 AM

Pro Lounger

Isn't the SD $300? Seems like for an additional $50 the WR is the better choice. It's not like you're comparing something that is $100 against something that is $300.

"Ambiguity succeeds where honesty dares not venture." Dogbert
Old 10-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Freshman Lounger

I highly recommend the SoundDock. My iPod never sounded better, although I was used to playing via headphones or just listening on my G4 powerbook. It's small and powerful. Bose has great customer service. Mine first unit was dead on arrival. I called and they sent me a new one by the next day via FedEx and paid for me to ship it back to them. It was worth every penny.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM

no depression

Re: Speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by clairejenkinson
I'm about to buy my first ipod
Congratulations! Welcome to the lounge!

Quote:
Any multimedia speakers might do the trick for you. NY Times technology column, called Circuits, just reviewed a couple of sets. Also, the Klipsch 2.1 speakers have a good reputation and can sometimes be had for cheap on their website (closeouts or scratch & dents).

For what you want to do - volume & quality more important than portability - I think that's the way to go. Better sound, less money!

"... a beer in each hand, and a smile in between..." Uncle Tupelo

Topic: Bose SoundDock

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.