Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Ipod Dock Connector Pin Out Diagram

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-21-2003, 12:07 AM

Freshman Lounger

Ipod Dock Connector Pin Out Diagram

I recently purchased a 15gig ipod. I would like to use it in my car but have found all the mounting kits on the market to be poor.

I have some experience with metal fabrication and would like to make a stand that is unobtrusive looking to both my car and my ipod.

Even more important is the sound. I have a tape cassette adapter and the sound is horrible. I know the headphone jack is better but if I am going to go the trouble I would like to use the line out source on the dock.

My question is does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram or schematic of the dock plug?

Thanx in advance

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:21 AM

Pro Lounger

If you find one, see if you can make a clip that attaches to the dock port and has a pigtail with a 3.5mm lineout jack. Ill give you 25 bucks

60 GB iPod photo

*iPodlounge.com Contributing Editor and PHP/MySQL Kung Fu Master*

Georiga Tech

My Music
Old 07-21-2003, 12:21 PM

Otto
Banned

I've noticed that the dock plug and/or the iPod doesn't have the best isolation in the world. I get a ground loop if I have power charging to the dock at the same time as playing from it. Annoying. A simple ground isolator fixes it, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when installing into your car, as a ground loop is a lot easier to achieve there.

In any case, I think that the dock is just a passthrough on all the pins from the rear to the dock itself, and then simply breaks out the line output pins to the stereo jack connector. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. So finding which pins are line output on the dock connection should be as easy as opening the dock.

I've got a dock on order that I'm going to disassemble and mount into my car. I'll take pictures of it in pieces for you when I get it (couple more days now). That should have enough info for you to be able to work out which pins on the plug are the line output pins.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:48 PM

Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto
I've noticed that the dock plug and/or the iPod doesn't have the best isolation in the world. I get a ground loop if I have power charging to the dock at the same time as playing from it. Annoying. A simple ground isolator fixes it, of course, but it's something to keep in mind when installing into your car, as a ground loop is a lot easier to achieve there.
Otto,

I did an install in my Civic (see the recent thread in this Gear section), and I had a ground loop going until hooked it into the Belkin charger/line-out unit. When I had it running off battery and into the AUX input, I got static, even with a ground-loop isolator installed in the audio lines. Go figure.

Ben's Homepage
Listening gear: 3G 10GB into Shure e3c or via PIMETA amp into Sennheiser HD600
Old 07-21-2003, 05:39 PM

Otto
Banned

Huh. Maybe it has to do with the "amp" in the Belkin unit. That could isolate the ground I guess. Well, we'll see, I've got that on order too.

My current plan is to attach the dock to the nice big space that is under my radio already, wire the Belkin unit underneath that, hook the power to the underside of the cigarette lighter (using an old partially broken cigarette lighter splitter that I'm going to mangle), wire in an aux line input inline with my CD Changer (eventually, still looking for a good deal on that), and bob's your uncle.

Eventually I may get bored and decode the class 2 serial bus in the car and tear apart an iPod remote in order to make my steering wheel controls work. We'll see.

Last edited by Otto; 07-21-2003 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:24 PM

couchpotato
Banned

I have an elctronic shematic of the entire 1st gen iPod...
THE ENTIRE THING... *cough* crap thats illegal *cough*
Now I wonder what would happen in the eyes of say, iRiver...
:O!
Old 07-22-2003, 02:25 PM

Freshman Lounger

Has anyone been lucky enough to find a source for blank plugs tht fit the bottom of the 3G iPods? I can get ahold of theschematics, I just need the plugs.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:03 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by sacarmic
Has anyone been lucky enough to find a source for blank plugs tht fit the bottom of the 3G iPods? I can get ahold of theschematics, I just need the plugs.
Can you share the schematics?

+1. I'd like to know also. I even called apple, but they only gave me stupidity and insults. They refused to share this info.

Does anyone even know what the connector is called. I have a few ppl I can check with at some connector manufacturers.

fingers crossed - check
arms crossed - check
legs crossed - check
eyes crossed - check

Excuses are the tools of losers
Old 09-29-2003, 02:47 PM

Freshman Lounger

they haven't released them to the apple techs, so no info yet. I ended up using the belkin auto adapter.

Scott
Old 09-29-2003, 03:46 PM

Junior Lounger

I would be curious to know if the adapter has SPFIF output. The circuitry inside has. That would allow a high-end DA convertor to be connected.

Marc
Old 10-19-2003, 09:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

i disaasemled the dock (its quite easy) and noticed a little SMD resistor that connects contacts 1,11 with 21.
Thars probably where the sound the ipod makes when plugged into the dock comes from.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:28 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Ipod Dock Connector Pin Out Diagram

Quote:
Originally posted by farmer
I recently purchased a 15gig ipod. I would like to use it in my car but have found all the mounting kits on the market to be poor.

I have some experience with metal fabrication and would like to make a stand that is unobtrusive looking to both my car and my ipod.

Even more important is the sound. I have a tape cassette adapter and the sound is horrible. I know the headphone jack is better but if I am going to go the trouble I would like to use the line out source on the dock.

My question is does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram or schematic of the dock plug?

Thanx in advance
The docking connector is proprietary to Apple and Apple is only releasing the information under non-disclosure agreements. At the moment, Apple is only executing NDAs with companies that have existing, commercially-available products. (At least that's what they told me in an email.)
Old 10-20-2003, 03:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

For my in-car install I dissected the 4/6 pin firewire adaptor that came with the ipod and wired the 6 pin socket from that into my car effectively equipping my car with a power only firewire socket. I then used a 2nd dock and firewire cable to power the ipod and use the line out from the dock to send the audio signal to my stereo.

As yet I've not been able to resolve the grounding issues but seeing as I've not got a line-in on my stereo and have been using the FM modulator that came with my CD changer to get the signal into the stereo I'm hoping that replacing this arrangment with an iTrip will solve the problem (whilst also allowing me to remove the iPod from the dock when selecting tracks with no loss of music)

The dock itself is blu-tacked to a level surface on the interior which again isn't ideal but as I'm not planning on keeping this car for much longer I didn't go to the trouble of hiding the dock properly.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:19 PM

...from berlin

back to the question, maybe this link ?
http://www.ipoding.com/modules.php?s...view_photo.php

grimmets ipod workaround
german ipod misc.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:22 PM

Freshman Lounger

Re: Re: Ipod Dock Connector Pin Out Diagram

Quote:
Originally posted by sathomasga
The docking connector is proprietary to Apple and Apple is only releasing the information under non-disclosure agreements. At the moment, Apple is only executing NDAs with companies that have existing, commercially-available products. (At least that's what they told me in an email.)
The person they conferenced told me some similar crap. I asked if he could tell me which manufacturer was sub-contracted to make the connectors, he told me that info was also proprietary.

Excuses are the tools of losers

Topic: Ipod Dock Connector Pin Out Diagram

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.