Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iPod Install in 2001 Honda Civic EX

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 07-19-2003, 03:12 AM

Cheese Whiz

Lightbulb iPod Install in 2001 Honda Civic EX

I just installed hookups to get my iPod tied into the stock head unit in my 2001 Honda Civic EX. I posted a breakdown of what parts I used, and how I actually accomplished the install to my blog:

2001 Honda Civic iPod Install

In a nutshell for those too lazy to click a link:
  • HON-AUX converter from Logjam Electronics
  • Open the dash to install the converter
  • Use a power adapter to eliminate ground loop static

Ben's Homepage
Listening gear: 3G 10GB into Shure e3c or via PIMETA amp into Sennheiser HD600

Last edited by bdjohns1; 09-30-2003 at 08:47 PM.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:42 AM

Junior Lounger

Thanks for posting that.. I've been meaning to install the iPod in the girlfriend's Civic using an AUX adapter and this will help immensely. I'd be interested to see some pics.

Delroy666

15GB iPod | Shure E2c | Grado SR60 | iSkin eXo2 | Belkin Auto Kit
Athlon XP 1800+ | WinXP Pro | SB Audigy
Old 07-19-2003, 12:23 PM

Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally posted by Delroy666
Thanks for posting that.. I've been meaning to install the iPod in the girlfriend's Civic using an AUX adapter and this will help immensely. I'd be interested to see some pics.
No problem. I had a hard enough time finding some instructions on the web for how to do it, but the one set I've linked to in the article is probably enough to get you in good shape. Pics will probably just be of my final install, because I really don't want to pry out the panels again.

As an aside, I tried the Radio Shack ground loop isolator that has been discussed elsewhere on these forums, and it didn't work for crap...unless I had the iPod powered by the car, I had no luck with sound. Just as an FYI so you don't waste time/money on it.

Ben's Homepage
Old 07-20-2003, 02:07 PM

Cheese Whiz

Pictures now available

An update - I've now got the pictures of the install loaded up to my site.

2001 Honda Civic iPod Install (now with pictures!)

Ben's Homepage
Old 07-20-2003, 02:20 PM

Junior Lounger

I've heard that these AUX adapters can end up disabling your headunit's cd player. Was that the case for you?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:58 PM

Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoomp
I've heard that these AUX adapters can end up disabling your headunit's cd player. Was that the case for you?
Nope. On my head unit, the "CD/TAPE" button cycles through the built in CD player, the tape deck (if present), and the CD changer (again, if present). When I switch over to the radio, pushing the CD button goes to whatever I was listening to last - the CD or the iPod.

From the diagrams that came with the PIE converter, it looks like you can even have the tape deck and the changer - the cables are daisy-chained.

Ben's Homepage
Old 07-20-2003, 07:18 PM

iPodlounge Lizard

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoomp
They don't disable your headunit's CD player, but they do take up the input that you would normally plug your external CD-Changer into. Basically, you can only use one at a time, although there are manufacturers who make AUX adapters that can be switched between two sources.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 PM

Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally posted by tonicboy
They don't disable your headunit's CD player, but they do take up the input that you would normally plug your external CD-Changer into. Basically, you can only use one at a time, although there are manufacturers who make AUX adapters that can be switched between two sources.
If you've got the iPod, what do you need the CD changer for?

Ben's Homepage
Old 07-20-2003, 10:45 PM

iPodlounge Lizard

Quote:
Originally posted by bdjohns1
If you've got the iPod, what do you need the CD changer for?
true dat. i'm definitely in that camp, although some people just can't be persuaded to completely abandon their wicked CD ways and insist on keeping that antiquated device known as a CD-changer.

Old 07-21-2003, 11:50 AM

Reclined Lounger

that looks good!
how is that holder holding up?

>>>>>>iPizzle<<<<<<
Old 07-21-2003, 04:43 PM

Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally posted by jasonmccabe
that looks good!
how is that holder holding up?
Well, 4 days hardly consitutes a durability test...

But, it seems to be pretty stable. The RadioShack one that I got came with a suction cup mount and a plastic disc (kind of like an air hockey puck) which had an adhesive foam on the bottom. It's just a little too big to fit in the Civic cupholders, so I put it in the center console - if you put an S-bend in the gooseneck, it won't get in the way of the parking brake release. And being a suction cup, I can remove it to stash away if I want to.

If you do want to put it in the cupholder, it looks like the suction cup will fit - you just need to provide a smooth surface the exact diameter of the base of the suction cup and adhere it securely to the cupholder. I like the place I've got it though - right at my fingertips, and I can see what I'm doing in my peripheral vision, so I don't entirely take my eyes off the road.

My other project is to do a better job securing and concealing the cabling. The Monster cable is pretty beefy, and a few good bumps can jostle it out of the line-out. I'm thinking I'll split the cable pair enough to get a velcro cable tie in right behind the plug, and then wrap that around the charger. Maybe at some point I'll re-route the cabling more behind the panel and under the carpet or something.

Ben's Homepage
Old 07-21-2003, 04:46 PM

iPodlounge Lizard

heh. wrong thread.

Last edited by tonicboy; 07-21-2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:45 PM

Freshman Lounger

Smile iPod installed in 2001 Honda Odyseey

Greetings,

Just wanted to drop a quick note...

After much research I finally settled on Auxiliary Input converter from PIE(http://www.pie.net/sec12sb1n.htm). There are number of products which can do the job, see http://www.logjamelectronics.com/auxacurahon.html and http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...cura_honda.htm or simple goggle search for ?HON-AUX?.

It took me total of 20 minutes to pop the panel, install the cable to the radio and put all of it back together. I didn?t have to modify the cable or drill any holes. I pulled the RCA/Stereo cable from behind the glove box(http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2483)

Regards,
Gurinder.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:32 PM

Junior Lounger

I'm a little confused, and I'm not good with car stereo stuff so forgive me if my questions are stupid. I've got a '99 Honda Accord EX, with a factory stereo in it (just a CD player and radio, no tape deck or anything). There's no plug for me to connect my iPod to the stereo, so I was originally going to get an FM transmitter for my iPod, but...your post intrigues me. :P Unfortunately the links you posted showing how you installed your iPod don't work for me...but do you know if it would be possible for me to do something similar in my car, with just my boring generic stock stereo?

It would probably make more sense to me if I could see the photos of the installation, but unfortunately the site seems to be down.

~*Jaclyn*
15" flatscreen iMac + SuperDrive + 20g iPod = <3<3<3!
Old 09-05-2003, 08:23 PM

Pro Lounger

http://local.aaiserv.com/pics/cars/car/ipod

Ive got an accord ex too, check out those pics for info on how i did it. Its very very easy with accords, everything so accessible.

60 GB iPod photo

*iPodlounge.com Contributing Editor and PHP/MySQL Kung Fu Master*

Georiga Tech

My Music

Topic: iPod Install in 2001 Honda Civic EX

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.