Dual USB Port Charging Wall Adapters- Amperage Difference? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Dual USB Port Charging Wall Adapters- Amperage Difference?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Senior Lounger

Dual USB Port Charging Wall Adapters- Amperage Difference?

I wish Apple had a dual USB port wall adapter for charging.

SO I searched on the net and I have noticed that some of these 3rd party brands, will have 2 ports for USB units.

One port will be 2.1 A, and the other is listed as 1.0 A.

What I don't know, what is the required Amperage and Wattage I'll need? The dual chargers I've seen are typically 12 Watts and up.

I'd be charging my iPod Nano below in sig, and iPhone 5s at the same time.

Any knowledge as to what I need, and what ports would be connected to which unit??? Thank in advance

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 AM

Watts = Amps * Volts

So if you have a 2.1 Amps, and it provides the standard USB 5.0 volt power, then that is 10.5 Watts, enough for an iPad, but you could use it for anything.

The other one is 1.0 Amps, at 5 Volts = 5 Watts, which is enough for an iPhone, but not an iPad.

So plug them in either way, and you are good. It only matters if you have an iPad to charge.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmnews View Post
Watts = Amps * Volts

So if you have a 2.1 Amps, and it provides the standard USB 5.0 volt power, then that is 10.5 Watts, enough for an iPad, but you could use it for anything.

The other one is 1.0 Amps, at 5 Volts = 5 Watts, which is enough for an iPhone, but not an iPad.

So plug them in either way, and you are good. It only matters if you have an iPad to charge.
Thanks CJ. I always appreciate your input!

5G 60Gig White iPod
6G 16Gig Blue Nano
iPhone 5s 16Gig
Shure E2C
EAC & Lame ='s 192kbps VBR of pure bliss
Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 PM

Senior Lounger

I travel a lot (>12 trips per year) and wanted a single charger to charge more than one device. I found this superb charger at the Brookstone store at the Detroit airport and love it. It has 4 ports with the following amperages: 2.4, 2.1, 1.0 and 1.0. I like having two ports with more than 2 amps each, and 2.4 is particularly fast at charging my iPad Air 2. Fast charging of multiple devices. Worth every penny of the $40 cost to me.

http://www.brookstone.com/4-port-usb-wall-charger

Topic: Dual USB Port Charging Wall Adapters- Amperage Difference?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.