Wall receptacle for charging iPhones (5 and 6), iPad Air - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Wall receptacle for charging iPhones (5 and 6), iPad Air

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 11-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Junior Lounger

Wall receptacle for charging iPhones (5 and 6), iPad Air

To reduce clutter, I am considering replacing a wall receptacle with a receptacle that includes USB receptacles as well as 120V receptacles. Does anyone have any recommendations, either pro or con, for various brands out there?

Thanks
Ken K
Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM

You need to be aware that the iPad Air requires 10W of power instead of the 5v needed for the iPhones.

This is why the iPad does not charge when plugged into a PC and has a larger power brick.

I have been eying a few myself but have not pulled the trigger. Make sure what you get has 10W of power for the iPad. The phones will pull the 5W they need from the same port.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....

Last edited by cjmnews; 11-16-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Changed Volts to Watts as intended.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:52 AM

You mean 5 vs. 10 Watts (W), not 5 vs. 10 Volts (V) ... but you're right, the iPad requires more power to charge at a normal rate. USB is always 5 Volts, and an iPad can pull up to about 2 - 2.4 Amps (peak, depending on generation) and an iPhone is up to 1 Amp (peak) ... although I've read that the iPhone 6 and 6+ can pull an iPad-worthy current of 2.1 amps if connected to a powerful enough source.

So when shopping, look for the outlets which will source at least 2 amps for each USB port, not all do. For example, the Leviton has one rated at 3.6 Amps total for two USB ports, which is enough for one iPad and one iPhone. Others I see are rated at 2.1 Amps, but its not clear if that is per USB port, or total output shared between both USB ports.

Leviton and Cooper are traditional household wiring brands, but I see on Amazon are newer brands like Enerlites or Top Greener that I've never heard of (I've done my fair share of home remodeling over the past few decades). I have not installed one of these, but plan to do so. I'm probably going to go with Leviton since it is a brand I know and they clearly state 3.6 amp output for two USB ports; others seem to be ambiguous as to what they mean by "2.1 Amps", and there is misinformation within product descriptions on sites like Amazon, which further muddies the waters.

Topic: Wall receptacle for charging iPhones (5 and 6), iPad Air

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.