Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Best slim protective case for Iphone 5s?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Freshman Lounger

Best slim protective case for Iphone 5s?

Hey guys,
I just bought a Iphone 5s Gold.
I'm having trouble finding the best case for the phone at a reasonable price.
Looking for a case that will protect the phone from drops etc and will help protect the screen from shattering but look good at the same time?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Well, there are few cases that offer both screen and drop protection. Some cases offer a small lip around the edge of the iPhone and call that screen protection but it really isn't. You would need something life a LifeProof case if you wanted to protect against drops, guard the screen, and have it be slim. I have one and love it except for one factor: you have to use their headphone extension cable when you want to plug headphones in. The case is very thin but adds a couple of mm to the bottom of the iPhone. This added height means that a standard set of headphones can't be plugged in, you have to use their extension cable.

I'm also pretty sure that their case blocks the fingerprint scanner in the iPhone 5S. What level of screen protection were you looking at? Is the fingerprint scanner imporant for you? What kind of drop protection are you looking for? Something to protect it against a couple ft drop onto a hard floor or something that you can chuck off of the roof of a house and still be fine?

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the reply, I'm look for a case that will protect the phone from everyday use and maybe when the phone is accidentally dropped from pocket height or chest height. Finger prints not important. Lifeproof is a bit expensive I was leaning more towards the Spigen Tough armor but I'm still not sure if there's anything better out there and I don't think spigen will provide any good screen protection.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:08 AM

I suggest you look on eBay for name brand cases, also Amazon. You have to be a bit careful with eBay and many people post knock-off cases but you can still find the real ones for nice prices. I paid $45 for my iPhone 5 LifeProof case. You can also find the OtterBox commuter case (it comes with a screen protector and it's lip around the edge of the iPhone is thicker than most) for $20-$25 on Amazon, it all depends on the color.

If you're eyeing something as bulky as the Spigen Tough Armor case, you might as well go all out and get an OtterBox Defender. It has a built-in screen protector and you can chuck your iPhone off of the roof of your house/apartment building/whatever and it wouldn't break. They have an iPhone 5 version (about $24 on Amazon depending on the color) that protects the home button and they have a specific iPhone 5S version that doesn't have rubber over the home button (but still protects it) for about $35-$45 on Amazon.

Keep in mind with iPhone cases that you get what you pay for. I have purchased a couple of cheap cases and they always end up breaking. They either wear out or a single drop busts them. I've had my OtterBox Defender since I picked up my iPhone 5 last year and it still looks new. I use it as my primary case and then switch to my LifeProof when I want to protect against water (when there is a layer of snow on the ground or when I go to the pool). It's a tad bulky but I've dropped my phone 6 times in that case and it still hasn't showed any signs of wear and tear. I picked up a cheap alternative off of Amazon (a Trident case) and the outer plastic is cracked and no longer protects the phone. That was after just regular use for two weeks, no dropping.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have a similar problem, only I just have an iPhone 5. Currently I have an Otterbox because I was terrified I would break it. We'll, I broke my case and had the phone out and realized the case was forcing how I held the phone to my ear. It really impeded sound, I always thought the speakers sucked, turns out the case was to blame!

Is there a slim, protective case for iPhone 5/5s that won't impede sound?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:55 PM

There are millions of slim cases out for the iPhone 5. It all depends on what level of protection you want and how you define something as being protective. For example, you can buy a basic, thin, hard plastic case off of Amazon for $5. I wouldn't ever use the case as I don't define it as being protective. However, other people might.

It all really depends on the features and level of protection you want. Do you want a built-in screen protector? Are you fine with putting your own screen protector on and just having a small lip around the display? Do you want to protect against drops? If so, onto what kinds of surface and how high of a drop? Do you want to protect against dust, dirt, snow, and water? Do you want water resistance so you can take your phone to the pool? How deep do you want the water resistance to go?

In all honesty, it's really hard to recommend cases to anyone as people's needs are always different. I suggest you look at the reviews here on iLounge and on other professional sites. Come to a conclusion as to what you're looking for then start browsing Amazon/eBay. You'll find great deals on cases there. Just make sure the cases are shipped and sold by Amazon or, if you're on eBay, look at the seller rating and don't buy anything shipping directly out of China as it will be a knock-off or really cheap (cheap isn't good, inexpensive is).

Topic: Best slim protective case for Iphone 5s?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.