Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Question on iHome iW2 speakers

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Freshman Lounger

Question on iHome iW2 speakers

I have a chance to get one of these for $ 40.00. First of all is it a good price. Secondly for those of you who may already have one are you happy with it and is it easy to set up and use? Is there another product that you would recommend that would work better.

Thank so much!!

Mindy

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Veteran Lounger

I have the iW1which is probably the same model but with the rechargeable battery and capacitive touch controls. I would have preferred the physical buttons on this model. I picked it up when they were first released and received 2 bad models in a row. Both had finicky touch controls but the first was just completely unstable. But iHome made good with their warranties and I have a perfectly good unit now. The model I have still requires a good strong WiFi signal. It works great on the patio where there is a good signal, but 10 feet more and it gets constant drop outs. But my use doesn't go past my patio. The sound I would call OK, not great, but acceptable.

My iHome iW1 was $300 new, I like the speaker unit for a portable wireless speaker around the house but I wouldn't buy another at that price. It is fairly well built, but not rugged enough to take to the shop. The sound it produces is not worth the price, many bluetooth speakers sound much better. But If I could get these in the $100-$150 range I would probably pick up an additional model for another room as a part of my AirPlay speaker system around the house. I haven't listened to the iW1 but I assume it has the same audio quality as the iW2, at $40 it is a steal and worth trying it out considering they are around $199 new.

My preferred speaker right now is a Big JamBox although it is also a much pricier speaker. I probably prefer it better since I travel most of the time and it works with out the WiFi network. But once I get home the iHome is permanently connected to the WiFi network, iTunes as well as all the other iOS devices I own and is my go to speaker for tunes on the patio or other rooms around the house. If I could only own one, it would be the Bluetooth Big JamBox. But still, at $40 for the iW1 is worth a try and a great price to try out the world of AirPlay speakers.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Question on iHome iW2 speakers

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.