Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Third party lightning chargers? All bad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM

Freshman Lounger

Third party lightning chargers? All bad?

Is every 3rd party lightning charged for the iPhone bad? Just wondering. Seems like even the apple lightning charger (just the USB cord) for $19.99 Is getting awful reviews too.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:09 PM

After the death of the Chinese woman that was using a 3rd party charger for her iPhone 5, there seems to be a push to avoid them.

As for the Apple one, I would expect the bad reviews are by the haters or those that think the prices are too high.

Have you backed up your iTunes Library this week? If not, you are risking losing your music and playlists....
Old 09-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Actually, if you read the reviews of the lightning USB cord on the apple site, the majority of reviews have to do with the cords breaking easily.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM

I have read through those reviews but have never encountered the issues they are posting about. I have a total of 4 lightning cables in my possession. I rely on all four of them almost daily: one for charging/copying photos off of iPhone at work, one for charging in my car, one for syncing with my computer, and one for charging in my bedroom. I have had each cable for almost a year now and none of them have been damaged. They all still work just fine and they aren't showing any signs of physical wear and tear. My Mom, who is a lot more abusive with her technology, has had the same two lightning cables for almost a year now. My girlfriend's Mom, who dishes out even more abuse (she's cone through 4 Speck cases thus far), has been using the same lightning cable for the same amount of time.

As CJ stated, I think most negative reviews come from people who think the price is too high for the cable or people who just hate Apple. Yes, people will go onto online stores and write bogus negative reviews for products/companies that they hate despite never owning the actual product. It happens all the time and it is annoying.

As for 3rd party cables, I can't use them. I have a LifeProof case on my iPhone 5 and the lightning connector opening is small. It is so small that I have not been able to find a 3rd party cable that actually fits within the opening. Only Apple's official lightning cable can. I've tried a few brands in a Sharper Image-like store, one I found at Best Buy, and even a couple I found at the Apple Store closest to me. Nothing can physically fit in there aside from Apple's official cable. I personally wouldn't trust a 3rd party cable either. Most of them come directly from KIRF Chinese assembly plants and focus on providing a cheap (not to be confused with inexpensive), temporary solution.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Veteran Lounger

I don't have any Lightning connectors personally but I have not heard any complaints from my family members who do. They would let me know since I would be finding them a new one. I believe the biggest contribution to any cable failure is those that yank the cables out by the wire rather than pulling them out by the connector.

As far as chargers I would also stick with Apples chargers preferably the 12 watt version for all my Apple devices. Many of the third party versions I have tried still work fine charging however the USB port in them is cheap and does not hold the cable well causing it to easily come unplugged.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 PM

Junior Lounger

I have a Xtreme Cables Lightning Sync and Charge Cable with Car Charger and Home Charger and one of the Apple 5W USB Power Adapter coming this week so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

I also have some a couple of lightning cables coming from Monoprice this week. I thought I would try a couple of them since I needed to place an order for other products from them. I have always been happy with products from Monoprice so I figured I might as well give it a try.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Junior Lounger

Just an update on the Xtreme Sync and Charge and Monoprice cables that I had ordered. The only problem I have had with these items is that after updating to iOS7 the cable that came with the Xtreme charger brings up a message that the cable is not certified and may not work.

This is a known problem, but not a big deal for me as I can use the lightning cable that came with the iPod or the Monoprice cables with the Xtreme charger.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:40 AM

Pro Lounger

I have try a few of the Chinese no brand adapters, from ebay and they all have some type of problem
they will charge just fine but not compatible with the audio part or data ,you also receive the invalid accesorie or not certified product message on the ipod the usb connection comes off all the time

it's best to use the original that comes from the apple store , if you have a usb connection use this cable it works great for me connection
USB to Lightning
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM

Veteran Lounger

Just received some lightning cables from MonoPrice for $13 apiece. They seem to be well made as well as Apple approved to charge and sync.
Cables for iPad, iPhone, iPod - Monoprice.com

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 12-10-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
Just received some lightning cables from MonoPrice for $13 apiece. They seem to be well made as well as Apple approved to charge and sync.
Cables for iPad, iPhone, iPod - Monoprice.com
Are these cables charging and syncing with iOS 7 installed on your devices? The description says "MFi Certified" but I have no idea what that means. To my knowledge, Apple has not certified any 3rd party Lightning cables, and changes in iOS 7 reportedly block non-Apple cables from syncing and charging.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Veteran Lounger

Yes they are both charging and syncing my iPhone 5s with iOS 7.0.4 through my iMac, that was the first thing I checked. The lightning cables come with the "Made for iPod, iPhone, iPad" label. I assume Apple has licenced the lightning connector out to MonoPrice. In my experience I consider the $13 a cable a high price for a MonoPrice cable which could explain the licence fee. The only issue I see is the plastic around the lightning connector is slightly thicker than Apple's cable which may interfere with some cases. It works fine with my OtterBox Commuter case and iPhone 5s.

I loaded up on these for $10 each on Black Friday for stocking stuffers as well as my laptop bag and each of my vehicles.

Edit: MFI Certfied is Apple's certification program https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Old 12-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmyplimsoul View Post
To my knowledge, Apple has not certified any 3rd party Lightning cables, and changes in iOS 7 reportedly block non-Apple cables from syncing and charging.
Poor wording on your part? Not sure exactly how many 3rd party sources there are for authorized lightning cables, but there are plenty. Partial to Amazon's myself. There have been authorized 3rd party lightning cables since about a month after iPhone 5 came out.

Although, the best deal I've found is to suck it up and buy some of the micro USB to lightning adapters from Apple and just stick them on $3 micro USB cables - better made and longer lasting than any of the official lightning cables. Apple's are hands down the worst I've used.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Poor wording on your part?
No, just plain ol' ignorance I guess I had thought that iOS 7 undercut the use of any non-Apple cable but I should have looked a bit closer to the details before replying. And now I know what "MFi" is ... jeez I'm really out of touch on this topic!

I too have an Amazon Lightning cable, but it doesn't fit through my iPhone case so it sits in a drawer collecting dust, and all this time I assumed it wouldn't work since September's update. I guess I can break it out for iPad charging since it fits there ...

Topic: Third party lightning chargers? All bad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.