Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: car dock for the nano 7?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM

Freshman Lounger

car dock for the nano 7?

Hi all,

Is there a car dock available for the iPod nano 7th gen yet? Or a home dock that doesn't require power that i could use in the car somehow?

Thanks

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM

A dock for what? Do you want to get analog audio out of this that will go into your car's auxiliary port? Or do you just want to prop the iPod nano up? Belkin and a few other companies make lightning docks (your iPod nano has a lightning port on the bottom) but they only charge the iPod nano and can be used for data. There is a Belkin dock that supports audio output but only for the 5G iPod touch and the iPhone 5 (it's a physical design of the dock that cannot be altered). There has yet to be a dock, or any type of solution that isn't from Apple, that can make analog audio (for an auxiliary port) from the lightning port. I don't even think Apple has something that can outright do this.

The current clunky solution is to buy a 30-pin dock (or even a pocket dock) that has analog audio output and then one of Apple's (it has to be Apple's official cable, 3rd party ones rarely ever work) lightning to 30-pin adapters.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
A dock for what? Do you want to get analog audio out of this that will go into your car's auxiliary port? Or do you just want to prop the iPod nano up? Belkin and a few other companies make lightning docks (your iPod nano has a lightning port on the bottom) but they only charge the iPod nano and can be used for data. There is a Belkin dock that supports audio output but only for the 5G iPod touch and the iPhone 5 (it's a physical design of the dock that cannot be altered). There has yet to be a dock, or any type of solution that isn't from Apple, that can make analog audio (for an auxiliary port) from the lightning port. I don't even think Apple has something that can outright do this.

The current clunky solution is to buy a 30-pin dock (or even a pocket dock) that has analog audio output and then one of Apple's (it has to be Apple's official cable, 3rd party ones rarely ever work) lightning to 30-pin adapters.
Sorry should have mentioned more details.
Currently i have a lightning connection straight from my car stereo to the ipod which controls it.
So i guess any dock that i could plug the lightning cable into which then had a lightning cable connection to the ipod when i dock it should work.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 AM

Freshman Lounger

Sorry, i should have mentioned more details.

Currently i have my ipod plugged into the car stereo with a lightning lead.

So a dock that i can plug the lead into which has a lightning connection and is the right size to fit the new nano is what i need. Does not need power.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Belkin makes a dock and so do others that will work. However, they all use a standard USB port. You would need to unplug the current lightning cable you are using and plug their USB cable in. I haven't seen a highly rated dock in which you could plug your lightning cable into. They all have their own USB ports.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)

Topic: car dock for the nano 7?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.