Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Wifi antenna for ipad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 AM

Freshman Lounger

Wifi antenna for ipad?

I surfed the Wifi Antennas Factory, External & Indoor Wireless Wifi Antenna Manufacturer China last night and I want to but some. But I need to know how to make a Wifi antenna out of a can or something simple. Please help.Oh ya its for a ipad. I dont have an internet card.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Veteran Lounger

You will find many results Googling "wifi cantenna". The problem is you would have to open up the iPad to connect it.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
You will find many results Googling "wifi cantenna". The problem is you would have to open up the iPad to connect it.
That too troublesome. Did you have any other ideas?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:30 AM

Junior Lounger

Don't you think that would be quite a difficult thing to do? Because in my view, it would be better to buy something new, rather than try to make self made antenna's that too without an expert with you!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Junior Lounger

What about a Alfa unit like this,
Amazon.com: Alfa 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter With Original Alfa Screw-On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna: Computers & Accessories

connected to your ipad with this
Amazon.com: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A): Computers & Accessories

I have used the Alfa unit on desktops and netbooks with great results.

Thoughts guys?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Married Man of Mystery

I'm not sure exactly how the iPad would handle that USB connection. If it's only for power then it may work, but if it requires some third-party software then I'd say you're out of luck.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM

No, they are completely SOL. The iPad will not work with ANY external (i.e. USB) wi-fi adapter on the market and there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it. That is a cold, hard, fact. The camera connection kit does allow for some additional usage but it won't work with a USB wi-fi adapter. Not only would the adapter draw way too much power (either the iPad wouldn't be able to fully power it or the iPad's battery would rain in 3-4 hours from a full charge) but the iPad lacks the necessary drivers to work with something like that.

The ONLY thing that can be done is installing a new internal wi-fi antenna, that is it! I get the feeling that this post may have something to do with wanting to boost the iPad's wi-fi capabilities rather than replace something that is broken. If that is the case, the OP won't be able to do anything. Otherwise, if the OP is experiencing a problematic wi-fi antenna in their iPad, they will have to install a new internal part made specifically for the iPad. That is the only thing that can be done. An external wi-fi adapter won't work, wrapping the iPad in aluminum won't work, and nothing else will work.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Junior Lounger

That is whats a bit annoying about the iPhone and iPad devices, they just don't allow anything at all, I mean you cannot do anything to make things better, if someone needs a strong signal, they cannot do anything from the receiver's end!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterthomas View Post
That is whats a bit annoying about the iPhone and iPad devices, they just don't allow anything at all, I mean you cannot do anything to make things better, if someone needs a strong signal, they cannot do anything from the receiver's end!
Would you really want an external antenna hanging off your device

The better solution is to fix things at the router side of the equation, either by an antenna change and/or adding AP's around the house to improve wi-fi coverage.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Right. Having to haul around an external antenna is not a solution at all. That's like saying the solution to gas problems is to get out of your car and push it everywhere. Yeah, that's not going to happen and isn't a real solution. Having an external antenna isn't required and I don't know of a single slate tablet (that includes ones powered by Android and the upcoming ARM edition of Windows as standard x86/x86-64 drivers won't work on that) that supports an option of having an external antenna especially when everything is built in.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM

Freshman Lounger

More powerful wifi antenna for iPad2

Does anyone know if there is a wifi antenna that can be installed in an iPad2 to increase internet range?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Veteran Lounger

If you read this thread you will already know there is no option for adding a wifi antenna to an iPad. If you have bad wifi reception where you use your iPad you'll have to work on the wifi network to improve it's coverage. Move your wireless router closer or add a higher gain directional antenna to the router if available. If moving your router is not an option use an extender to extend your networks range. Extenders generally work better when they are from the same manufacturer as the wifi router.

I made one of these Parabolic Reflectors for a D-Link router years ago which can increase the range of a wifi network by making the router's antenna more directional. It worked surprisingly well, although it was not really required in my small house where my network still works quite well even out on my patio.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac

Topic: Wifi antenna for ipad?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.