iPhone 4S - Charge/play in car

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Diane

I have an old Monster iCarCharger (the ultra-low profile one) attached to a deck in my car. This was from 2004 or so. It has worked well on my iPod 3G 40gb and my 1st gen Touch.

I know it won't charge a newer iPhone (tested it on a friends 4 last year) but will it still play music through the stereo?

I am ready to order my 4S and am wondering if I should get another solution so the iPhone will charge and play in the car, or just stick with the old Touch for music.

I searched the forum including the accessories that work/don't work thread and didn't see anything specific to this.

Thanks!
Diane

Code Monkey

iPods used to accept charging through one of two pins in their dock connector, one designed for USB specs, one designed for Firewire specs. Firewire specs are much looser, and conveniently for car accessory makers, the 12V provided by your car's electrical system fell within those specs. Once Firewire ceased to be standard even on Macs, it was slightly more expensive for Apple to continue to support Firewire charging so they stopped officially recommending it to accessory makers I think as far back as 2005, and as of 2008 no new model iPod or iPhone can be charged via the Firewire pin (the Classic, being a 2007 design, is the only exception among currently selling i-Devices).

Any charger designed for iPods and iPhones made *after* 2008 should almost certainly be a safe bet.

The older accessories should still let you play the music through them, but you will be running off of battery power.

Diane

Thanks Code Monkey. It's better than nothing. Something came unplugged so I'm not charging now anyway.

It's a little frustrating, I have a few different chargers that will work with my old iPod and the Touch but none of them worked with my friends iPhone 4 so I'm sure they won't work with the 4S either.

But I'll be really bummed if I have to continue to carry two devices for music every day too! Just trying not to have to buy too many accessories at once.....

Code Monkey

It's a little frustrating, I have a few different chargers that will work with my old iPod and the Touch but none of them worked with my friends iPhone 4 so I'm sure they won't work with the 4S either.
Just keep in mind that your touch is a first gen, i.e. 2007, so it also accepts Firewire pin based charging, it's not any sort of exception to what I said. If you have a charger or accessory that doesn't explicitly state 5V @ 1A (or lower) on its specifications, it's undoubtedly using the Firewire based pin to charge and isn't going to work on an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, or 4S, or anything other than a Classic made since 2007.

Diane

I got the phone and yes it plays fine through the stereo.

Now my biggest issue is a case. The Monster cable is so big I had to trim my Touch case. Since it won't charge the iPhone anyway, is there another type of cable that is a little smaller?

I'm not even sure how mine attaches to the back of the deck. There may be another cable that goes into the back of the deck that the Monster cable plugs in to. I'm pretty sure it's an Alpine, it's from 2003. I can get the model # tomorrow. I know it's not a USB connection. I don't want to buy another deck but would consider a different cable.

Thanks for any advice.... and should I get this moved into the Car section?

Diane

Diane

One of these dock connector extension cables should do the trick for you. Plug a Scosche Charging Adapter between the 2 cables to fix the charging issue. You can tuck the adapter up under the dash if you get a long enough extension cable to clean it up.
Thanks Sparkee! But now I'm confused (not difficult to do lol).

Are you saying to use my current old cable and then add these two items to it?

I see the Scosche will allow my old cable to now charge the phone. Since that's probably the same ginormous size as my current cable, the extension cable will take care of the fitment issue?

Would it cost about the same just to get a newer cable or are they all going to have this large dock connector problem?

Thanks again,
Diane

Sparkee

I'm not really familiar with a Monster iCarCharger, I kind of avoid the the company myself. Mostly for the prices they charge for simple cables. However it looks like it is a car adapter with an Aux cable connection which may be cheaper to update to the newest version. I would assume the newest version would have a more streamlined connector on it.

My suggestion above would be better suited for more expensive iPod interfaces such as my NEO I use to connect to my Honda Civic's factory stereo's CD changer port. The NEO would cost $100-150 to replace. I added the Scosche adapter for around $20 but had to cut it's case off to work with my iPhone in it's OtterBox case. Now thanks to your thread I'm ordering the extension cable so I can tuck the monstrosity I have for a dock connector and adapter up under the dash.:)

Diane

I'm not really familiar with a Monster iCarCharger, I kind of avoid the the company myself. Mostly for the prices they charge for simple cables. However it looks like it is a car adapter with an Aux cable connection which may be cheaper to update to the newest version. I would assume the newest version would have a more streamlined connector on it.

My suggestion above would be better suited for more expensive iPod interfaces such as my NEO I use to connect to my Honda Civic's factory stereo's CD changer port. The NEO would cost $100-150 to replace. I added the Scosche adapter for around $20 but had to cut it's case off to work with my iPhone in it's OtterBox case. Now thanks to your thread I'm ordering the extension cable so I can tuck the monstrosity I have for a dock connector and adapter up under the dash.:)
So glad I can help you! :)

I have an old car and this deck was purchased to give me the port to attach the cable to. The deck itself is from 2003 or so as well. I read the reviews on the newer Monster cable like what I have when I first posted this, and they were not very favorable (excluding price issue). They also don't mention the iPhone 4 at all so I need to contact them about that.

Do you have any other cable suggestions? I have just emailed USASpec based on some comments in the Mac Rumors forum.

Thanks again and I hope your new solution works for you!

Diane

Sparkee

I see USASpec is a supplier but does not sell online. You also claim to use an after market head unit in your car. It looks like their units are specific to factory car stereos probably similar to what I use and may not work well with after market head units. Check out Mp3YourCar.com they sell similar units if not USASpec interfaces as well as offering other solutions depending on your setup.

Diane

You are right in that i do have an aftermarket unit. My car's an '86 that had AM/FM/cassette and I had been using the tape player adapter. The Alpine was a gift so I could specifically hook an iPod directly to it. But the connection is in the back and the owners manual doesn't give any detail on the AUX except how to turn it on.

After I posted I did see USASpec lists OEM solutions. I spent 15 mins on hold with Monster as they don't even list the iPhone 4 (and their 1000 cable gets horrible reviews). Finally gave up. I started to go through Crutchfield too but I think I'm just going to have to call places - and first I have to see how my current cable is attached to the Aline. I think it just plugs in but I don't know if there is an adapter between the Monster cable and the deck.

I really don't want to go the FM transmitter route, I had an early iTrip and really didn't like it.

Sparkee

Does your Moster cable resemble this unit?

Post your Alpine's model number. The manual can probably be easily found online and should show a wiring diagram or picture of the back connections. If it is labeled Aux In or Line In it is nothing special and can be used with a 3.5mm headphone jack or RCA "phono" jacks. Even this Griffin AutoPilot should work fine. A less elegant solution is a USB car charger, sync cable and the appropriate 3.5mm adapter cable to the deck, but one connection is always better.

Diane

Mine is the original one that looks more like that: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89591&d=1161965841 There is another cable that attaches under the one you see as well on the dock connection, one for power, one for sound. I am guessing (without looking) that that one goes to the AUX and the other is wired to my cig lighter. (it's actually wired to the back of the cig lighter so I could still use my phone charger in the past)

My deck is an Alpine CDM-9801. LOL I just found this on Crutchfield's site about the optional AUX input: An input on the receiver that enables you to connect a digital memory player, portable CD, cassette, or MD. Some receivers have 1/8" stereo mini plug inputs, some have built-in stereo RCA inputs. An Aux input can be found on the receiver's face, on its rear panel, or connected to the back by a pigtail. In many cases, there is a direct input, but in some cases an optional adapter is required.

I know for a fact mine is in the back but no idea where, not even sure I can see it but I will try.

Thanks again!

Diane

Hi all, updating this thread as I finally sprung for a charger for the car.

This is what I ordered Amazon.com: Kensington 2-in-1 Charger and Audio Cable for iPhone/iPod, including iPhone 4S: MP3 Players & Accessories
Kensington 2 in 1 charger and audio cable

Awesome news - it fits with my Otterbox Commuter. It charges. It plays!!

Problem though..... My old Alpine CDM-9801 uses a cable out the back that y's into two RCAs :(
Alpine KCM-122B Auxiliary input adapter cable (M-Bus to RCA) at Crutchfield.com

New cable has one port, as do most that I see. I had no idea my old Monster Cable had two inputs until we pulled the deck out and unwrapped everything.

So I can only plug into one RCA and I only get sound out of one side of the car. It would be nice to get all speakers working!

Will this work?
Amazon.com: Mediabridge - 3.5mm Female To (2) RCA Male Adapter - (8 Inches): MP3 Players & Accessories

Any thoughts on how to fix this without buying a newer deck? I did look at the adapters that would let my old cable charge, but it just seemed like it would have too much weight hanging off the dock.

Thanks!

Diane

Last edited:

cjmnews

Staff member
Actually, that cable should work fine. Though I don't know how you are hearing anything now as the plug from the Kensington is not RCA and you didn't mention having a converter.

Diane

Actually, that cable should work fine. Though I don't know how you are hearing anything now as the plug from the Kensington is not RCA and you didn't mention having a converter.
I have the Alpine cable from the back of the deck (double RCA) and plugged the Kensington into one side. One RCA gives me right speakers, the other gives me left. I was surprised it worked myself!

Thanks, I may actually try and brave Radio Shack on the way home. I say "brave" as the local one is horrendous on a good day <sigh>. Which means I'll surely be ordering from Amazon tonight.

Thanks again!
Diane

cjmnews

Staff member
The plug from the Kensington is a basically a headphone jack, so I am surprised putting it into an RCA port works at all.

Radio Shack should have the converter, though it could cost you $8-$20.
This is close, but not right: 12-Inch Gold-Plated Y-Cable, RCA Plugs to Phone Jack : Y-Cables | RadioShack.com
You would have to convert your 1/8 to 1/4 then use that. Another $4 or so. 1/8" Mono Jack to 1/4" Stereo Plug Headphone Adapter | RadioShack.com

Their website is not the greatest for searching. I find my local store has more stuff than the website shows. If that doesn't work, you could try Fry's Electronics (assuming you live where they have one of those).

Diane

I stopped by RS on the way home. Actually found the piece myself!! $4.99 (though it rang up as $5.99 and I had to argue a bit to get them to honor the price).

Plugged it in and it works! All but my RF speaker, but that's a whole other intermittent issue. Time to pull off the door panel I guess.

Thanks for the help, I am a very happy camper right now! :)