terrible stereo whine with belkin charger

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

leo95se

so i got a belkin charger for the ipod.. its the perfect idea, esp since i dont have any inputs on the back of my stock headunit (acura rsx-s), and am using it with a tape adapter.

i am getting NASTY whine when i use the line out on it! does anyone else have this problem? is there any way to fix it?
i know whine is typically a ground problem.. is it possible that the stock headunit doesnt have sufficient ground? or maybe the 12v adapter? its driving me crazy.. i finally have all my music in my car, but cant stand to listen to it!! :(

A4Man

I had the same problem. I returned the Belkin and moved to the Monster iCharger. Everything is fine now.

leo95se

does the icharger include a line out? id like to hard wire my ipod connections, and ideally want one connection to the ipod...

also, where does the ground loop isolator connect? behind the stereo or inline with the ipod wiring somehow?

thx :)

pyromancer

Geeky Member
Website
pyromance.com
If the Monster had a direct line out, then you'd find yourself with the same problem. Your spark plugs create a tiny disturbance in your electrical system every time they fire, and it shows up as whine in your stereo. Here's the test: Find a "quiet" song and listen to the whine, then rev the engine a little. Whine gets higher pitched, right? Then park the car, turn it off, and leave the stereo on. Whine goes away? That's ground loop interference.

Here's a great site all about ground loops:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.html

leo95se

ive read the site, its a great tech ref, but doesnt offer an imediate solution. (i dont want to pull out the fluke and measure points on my car if someone has already encountered this)
so, is a GLI an answer? is the monster adpater (no amp inside of it) an answer? dunno.

ive also just read about the blitzsafe adapters.. maybe these are the answer?

thx :)

kman1666

Website
lookatthemonkeys.com
All a ground loop isolator is, is a bridge between the line out and rca inputs (or casette adapter). It basically has a set of femal RCA on one end and male RCA on another. If you are using a casette adapter and you want to use a ground loop isolator you are going to have to by a pair of headphone to RCA (one male and one female) to connect it.

A4Man

Yes the iCharger does have a line out (I use it with the Sony cassette adapter until time/budget allow for the Blitzsafe). From a technical standpoint, I'm not sure why I don't get the static and engine whine with the iCharger that I got with the Belkin. All I know is that I got a dramatic improvement from switching and never looked back.

leo95se

excellent, thanks.. my local apple store doesnt have em, ill order online and see if it helps..

one more question, is there a downside to not having the 'preamp' like on the belkin? is the volume now controlled via the ipod volume?

also, im really liking the blitzsafe..but why is the icelink so much more? what does it do differently? maybe incorporate the ipod buttons into the stock headunit?

kman1666

Website
lookatthemonkeys.com
If you use headphone out as your output the ipods volume is what you need to contol. If you use real line out, like the dock connector the stereo controls the volume, your ipods does nothing. Icelink incorperate the controls of your headunit to control the ipod. Also, if you have a car that had controls on the steeringwheel, icelink will incorperate those too. Icelink 2, which uses the dock connector should be coming out soon too.

InspectorGadget

Hey, I'm in a similar situation.

I'm trying to install the iPod in my Acura RSX - and there's horrible electric interference with the Belkin iPod Charger (connected on the rear plug on the center console). I believe the RSX in general just has issues with grounding, as I'm still sorting out my stereo problems. I will try the Monster charger.

Anyway, here's my setup:

I have the charger connected to the dock, and the line out of the dock goes to my Head Unit's aux. input. The problem is that the sound coming out the dock's line out is horrendously clipped, as if it's too loud.

Even if I turn down the head unit's volume, it still sounds horrible, and clipped. But if I connect the head unit to the headphone jack of my iPod instead of the line out of the dock, it sounds fine, even when I turn the volume all the way up. Any ideas what to do?

leo95se

why are you using the dock instead of the belkin? both are bad? with my belkin, its hit or miss..

InspectorGadget

leo95se said:
why are you using the dock instead of the belkin? both are bad? with my belkin, its hit or miss..
I'm using the dock because of the line-out of the dock. It's just cleaner to drop my ipod in the dock and to instantly have sound and power, instead of having to hook up cables here and there.

Plus, the Belkin charger I have does not have a lineout attached, it's just straight power.

leo95se

ah, ok.. maybe try the monster charger with line out built in? ive heard good things about that...

leo95se

ok, i bought the monster icharger, no luck. actually waaaay worse. the sound, even at minimal volume on my radio, is distorted really bad, sounds like someone turned the volume waaaay up, even if its not loud. so, i thought its maybe another problem. bought the gli, no luck, disconnected the power plug, no help.
guess its back to the belkin for now. hit or miss is better than bad sounding music.. what a shame :(