Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: How do you wire an extra cigarette lighter behind the dash

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 03-26-2004, 10:09 AM

Junior Lounger

How do you wire an extra cigarette lighter behind the dash

In order to show as little cabling as possible?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:53 PM

Former Zen Master

Cigarette lighters in most cars usually have a connector on the back. Remove the connector, grab the female end off of a cigarette lighter extension cord (leaving a few inches of wire for splicing) and splice into the wires leading to the car's CL connector. Attach the connector back into the back of the CL and you're done.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:09 PM

Junior Lounger

Is there soldering involved?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:05 PM

Freshman Lounger

nope
Old 03-31-2004, 05:09 PM

Junior Lounger

or you can just go to radio shack and buy and extra 12v cig lighter for 5 bucks .... give you everything you need. just splice the two hot wire together with the provided vampire tap. you can conceal this all behind the dash so you wont see anything just run the cig lighter out underneath one of the seats or something.

15g 3rd gen. TRUE BELIEVER. First Mac product: 6100/66 power pc ... o yeah raw power.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:25 PM

Junior Lounger

I posted this in another thread...

If you're careful, you don't need to actually cut through the two wires running to the factory cigarette lighter jack.

I simply stripped the insulation off of a small section of each wire and soldered the "tap" wires onto those sections. After the solder cooled down, I wrapped the wires with electrical tape.

Then those two tap wires run through a DC noise filter (from Radio Shack). On the other side of the filter, I attached two wires to each of the filter's "output" wires. Then one set of those wires went to the fm modulator, and the second set to the new cigarette lighter jack (also from Radio Shack).

Here's a rough diagram.

[img=http://thebettertons.com/_images/misc/wiringdiagram.bmp][/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 02:26 PM

Junior Lounger

dbett, if I'm not using an FM modulator, would I still need the DC Noise Filter?
Old 04-01-2004, 02:44 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by coolvirus
dbett, if I'm not using an FM modulator, would I still need the DC Noise Filter?
It's pretty cheap (about $5) insurance against engine noise/interference being passed to the iPod.

So you may not need it, but it's easy to add while you're doing everything else. So I'd recommend using it.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:11 PM

Junior Lounger

OK. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:52 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
I simply stripped the insulation off of a small section of each wire and soldered the "tap" wires onto those sections. After the solder cooled down, I wrapped the wires with electrical tape.
thats what a vampire tap is for. if you get the extra cig lighter from radio shack it comes with one and all you need to intall it is a screwdriver to take off the dash panels and a pair of pliers to set the tap. no soldering or shoty electrical tape jobs. just nice and clean

15g 3rd gen. TRUE BELIEVER. First Mac product: 6100/66 power pc ... o yeah raw power.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:36 PM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jpel85
thats what a vampire tap is for. if you get the extra cig lighter from radio shack it comes with one and all you need to intall it is a screwdriver to take off the dash panels and a pair of pliers to set the tap. no soldering or shoty electrical tape jobs. just nice and clean
Yup. Except the RS adapter only has one "vampire" tap. I wanted to ground my new adapter to the same line as the factory lighter (since that was easiest and the headunit also grounds nearby). So I just removed the old tape on the factory lighter wiring, stripped a small section on each wire, soldered the tap wires on and re-taped it. Looks as good as new (not that it matters since it's behind the dash) and is very secure (probably more so than with a vampire tap).
Old 04-05-2004, 11:36 PM

iPod uDon't

DC noise filter is a ground loop isolator?

just asking.. sorry if i'm being a n00b.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:29 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by br0nx finest
DC noise filter is a ground loop isolator?

just asking.. sorry if i'm being a n00b.
No. DC noise filter goes on the power lines and cleans up the power signal - fluctuations in voltage, etc.

A ground loop isolator goes on the RCA audio lines. It prevents power from flowing on the audio lines seeking a lower resistance to ground path.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally posted by jpel85
or you can just go to radio shack and buy and extra 12v cig lighter for 5 bucks .... give you everything you need. just splice the two hot wire together with the provided vampire tap. you can conceal this all behind the dash so you wont see anything just run the cig lighter out underneath one of the seats or something.

Before I start, let me just preface this by saying - please pardon my ignorance. I've never really dabled with electronics before.

I've managed to make it down to Ratshack and I picked up an extra power adapter outlet. 2 questions. First off, I have no idea how to 'splice the hot (red I'm guessing) wires with the vampire tap'. I'm also guessing the vampire tap is the small blue plastic contraption that came with my recent purchase. Could somebody please walk me through how to do this -- I really don't feel like paying the guys at Best Buy to do something this remedial. Secondly, what does ground mean? And what do I do with the black wire coming off of my new cig lighter?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 09:38 AM

Freshman Lounger

Okay, after some closer inspection I think I may understand it. I'm guessing I take the original ciragrette 'hot' cable and place it in the slot of the vampire clip which would allow it to go all the way through (so it can be reconnected to the orig. cigarette lighter). Then I take the hot wire from the new cig lighter and place it in the slot of the vamp clip that stops. From there you just give it a quick --chomp!--

But I'm still a little lost to what 'ground' is (for the black wire)

Topic: How do you wire an extra cigarette lighter behind the dash

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.