3G iTouch and Rental Car?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

jangell2

Website
www.teamfurr.org
I'll be going on a trip soon and wondering if it's safe to assume that most rentals will have an aux in on the car radio? Additionally, my Honda radio that I added has an aux in and so does our new prius.

Is there a cable set out there that will hook up my iTouch 32bg to an aux in and to power like a cigarette lighter? The prius has an aux in and two power supplies in the center console. I think these are like cigarette lighters, but not sure.

Is there a single cabling solution for the Honda, Prius and a rental if it has an aux in?

Edit: It'd be great if Best Buy sold it because I've got a $50 gift card.

Penguissimo

I'll be going on a trip soon and wondering if it's safe to assume that most rentals will have an aux in on the car radio? Additionally, my Honda radio that I added has an aux in and so does our new prius.

Is there a cable set out there that will hook up my iTouch 32bg to an aux in and to power like a cigarette lighter? The prius has an aux in and two power supplies in the center console. I think these are like cigarette lighters, but not sure.

Is there a single cabling solution for the Honda, Prius and a rental if it has an aux in?

Edit: It'd be great if Best Buy sold it because I've got a $50 gift card.
You're in luck—Best Buy sells a lot of things like this! Keep an eye out for the DLO TransDock Direct and the Griffin TuneFlex AUX. Kensington (LiquidAUX) and Belkin (TuneBase?) also make things like this, although I've never seen the Kensington in Best Buy. Monster also makes the iCarCharger AUX, which can be found at Best Buy, but apparently it's terrible.

I've tried both the DLO and the Kensington products, and the DLO has a much cleaner sound, but it can be a pain if your power outlets are placed poorly, as the iPod connects through a dock built in to the device. You'll also have to take the iPod out of any case you might have it in (unless it has no bottom), since the iPod needs to sit flush on the dock; even a silicone sleeve a few millimeters thick will prevent it from making a connection.

The Kensington, on the other hand, has a cable with a standard Dock connector plug, but of course this means you have to find somewhere to put the iPod. It's also susceptible to the ground loop phenomenon, where a (usually harmless) problem with your electrical system can introduce a whine into the sound. You'll recognize this if the whine gets worse when you accelerate, although it can be corrected with an extra component that Kensington will send you for free on request. I'd recommend taking a look at both products online (they can be easily Googled) and seeing what you think.