AKG K701 Opinions?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
Has anyone here used a pair of 701s without a headphone amp? I'm a little worried that the iPod won't have enough power to drive them. I've seen nothing but mixed opinions about it on other sites. I'll probably be using them the most with an iPod classic if it matters.
BTW Do they come with a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor?

Mochan

I've used a pair with and without an amp. It is very high impedance and most say you can't drive it but I've tried and it worked fine. The difference with using it at a home stereo receiver was not significant, but you do have to push the volume higher than with most other headphones to get the same sound. Since I never use headphones full blast it wasn't that big a deal. They are usable.

But they come as 1/4 and you have to screw on an adapter for 1/8th. They seriously are not designed to be used with iPods for portable use. I strongly suggest you look to another model for portable use, if that is what you intend.

Also just pitching in my two cents, but I personally don't find the AKG 701s that good. I feel they are too expensive for what they sound like. But that's me. Just so you know, the kind of sound sig you will get is very flat, no emphasized bass for bass heads, treble doesn't exactly sparkle either. Good separation though and very clean.

Oh and they're *very* comfortable. AKG produces the most comfortable headsets known to mankind IMO.

ThisisCraigP

down for whatever
Thanks for the great response! I was planning on using them for home use. I'm also thinking of getting a pair of Grados.

Mochan

They'll be fine for home use. But if you're going that route you might as well plug your iPod up to a stereo amp or receiver. I don't see any reason not to and the sound will be better than if you powered it directly from your iPod.

The AKG 701 also has a stand for use at home so you should be keeping it by your stereo anyway.