Bose Sounddock doesn't play new nano 5G

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Michael319

is this with every new ipod now? i have the black bose sounddock. not the new sounddocks mine is when they first started making the black colored ones. My 2 yr old 160gb classic charges on their, but the nano 5g says not supported for charging. it plays it fine and the remote works, but it won't charge. is this with all the new ipods? even the new classics and how long has it been going on.

Code Monkey

No new* iPod since the 2008 models has charged on your dock. With the exception of some of the iPhones, iPods from 2007 and earlier allowed charging by either the firewire or the USB charging pin. Starting last year, Apple disconnected the firewire charging pin in the iPod's dock connector (* with the lone exception of the 2008 classic, not sure if they finally disconnected it for the 2009 classic). Although Apple's suggested specifications had requested accessory makers not charge via the firewire pin and instead only use the USB charging pin for some years, they'd never enforced it before last year. Since it's more expensive to make an accessory that charges via the USB pin, many accessory makers ignored Apple's advised specifications and continued to make accessories that charged via the firewire pin. However, since it's cheaper to make an iPod that only charges via the USB pin, guess what Apple finally decided to enforce?

Michael319

is there an adapter i can buy for my bose? or better yet do the new bose sounddocks, which i think there are 3 do they charge the new ones?

i think its safe to say if they can charge the new ones they can also charge the old ones.

Code Monkey

I'll file it away that the current classic is also confirmed, not surprising, I just wasn't sure. I expect the reason the classics still do is that it would probably cost Apple more to redesign the logic board to disconnect the pin than they save by removing the resistor circuitry that allows an iPod to charge via firewire. The 2009 classic is, for all intents and purposes, exactly the same as the 2006 classic with a hard drive swap.

As for your "safe to say" part: Current accessories are backwards compatible with everything past the 3rd gen "classic" iPod. All iPods from the era of the mini and 4G iPod forward can charge via the USB charging pin, which is what all accessories have to use any more.

Michael319

oh ok thanks! at least the new bose sounddocks play it. well my bose soundock will be 3 yrs old this december so whenever they make a bigger nano and i can finally get rid of my classic or if my classic ever breaks! then ill get a new sounddock!