Charger issues for nanos?? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Charger issues for nanos??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-27-2009, 05:33 AM

Junior Lounger

Charger issues for nanos??

Hey everyone, just a really simple question for you all.

I bought my sister a last-generation nano (the squarer shaped one) in December for her Christmas gift, and went to plug it into my wall charger and it didn't work. I figured it was just a glitch, cuz my ipod 30G video has charged fine with it for almost 3 years.

I dropped my 30G into the toilet and it was being flushed down, and it was sad sad horrible scene of sheer terribleness.. needless to say it's dead now.. RIP !!! But anyhow, I bought a nano shake the next day, and it does not charge in my wall charger either. Two people have told me now that all ipods have the same charging size and shape, and that it should work fine. (Apple store guy with my sister's ipod, and Cash Converters guy with my new ipod.)

Do I have bad luck with chargers or something?? I have to charge my nano shake in the computer now, and that's fine for now, til I have to go somwhere to stay over, or at work. Why won't it charge?

I'm pretty sure that the charger is a Centrios.. but I could be wrong. Bought it at Future Shop 3 years ago for 30.00.. it's white, and the actual usb cord disconnects from the plug if you need to put it in your bag/luggage etc.

Please help! I don't want to have to buy a new charger on top of the new ipod I just spent my grocery money on.
When the ipod went into the toilet, I decided that buying a new one is more important than eating for a week lol... seriously!
Thanks for the help everyone
M
Old 09-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Junior Lounger

No one has an answer booo!
M
Old 09-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Veteran Lounger

The new nanos, like all new iPods, only charge via the USB pin in the dock connector. Some chargers, even if they look like they have a USB connector, still charge via the firewire pin in the dock connector (which was disconnected in all current iPods as a cost saving measure by Apple). Not sure if that's your problem, but you should check the voltage specs it gives. The USB pin chargers, by spec, must be 5V & 1A, anything else and it's not charging via the USB pin and the iPod won't charge.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:19 PM

Veteran Lounger

Code Monkey has pretty much covered it, I suspect the charger you are using only has the dock connector directly wire to it and not a USB connector you plug your sync cable into.

I found these Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger to be very handy and compact enough to fit in a laptop bag. The dual USB ports allow charging 2 devices at the same time as well as surge protection. I can charge an iPod as well as my cell phone with out having the computer on.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Junior Lounger

Sparkee, and Code Monkey
Thank you for the replies, but I still don't understand why my charger worked in my old ipod and not the new ones.

They have the same charger size on the bottoms, and the cord I use for the computer still works. The end of my charger comes apart, and has a USB connector that plugs into the big white part that plugs into the wall, and that's why I can take my charger cord apart. Two parts, three connections

[ipod] |--------> ]=

This crude diagram is a visual on how the cord works.

[ipod] ipod obviously

| is the part that connects to the ipod - which is what everyone said would work

------- is the actual cord part

> is the usb part that goes into the next part

]= is the AC plug that can disconnect from the rest of the cord via the usb.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but I spent 30$ on this charger, and I really can't afford to buy another superfluous piece of technology, when all the guys said it would work.
I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the tech talk, so that's why I don't understand what you're explaining lol
Thank you again.
M
Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 AM

Veteran Lounger

It's not a question of if your charger has an 'USB' style connector (a USB connector on a charger doesn't mean it charges via the USB pin), and forget the cable, all iPods since the 3G iPod have used the exact same cable, it's whether the voltage is supplied via the USB pin or the Firewire pin. That's why I asked you to check the voltage supplied; if it's not 5V & 1A, it means it's not using the USB pin and it will not work in a new iPod, period. This is the same reason why my iHome clock won't charge my 4G nano but will charge my 5G iPod, this is the same reason why my car charger won't charge my 4G nano but will charge my 5G iPod: disconnected power pin in iPod = no circuit = no charge.

Check the voltage, and if it isn't according to spec, it's not going to work no matter what you want.

You're not unique, when the 4G nano (and the 2G iPhone, and the 2G touch) came out, these forums were filled with people complaining they couldn't charge their iPods with <insert trusty accessory here> that had always worked just fine for them. $30 three years ago on a charger that did work for you all that time won't get you much sympathy around here. There were people who lost compatibility with car decks and fancy speaker docks they'd spent hundreds of dollars on. Determine if your problem is related to the charger technology (which it probably is), and if it is, get a new charger or do without.

Last edited by Code Monkey; 09-07-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Topic: Charger issues for nanos??

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.