The iGo, and third-party chargers in general - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: The iGo, and third-party chargers in general

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Freshman Lounger

The iGo, and third-party chargers in general

I have always been skeptical of chargers not made by the respective manufacturer and have stuck diligently with them for every device I've ever owned. My wife recently had to purchase an iGo something or other (not the Everywhere) to put juice into her Blackberry while stranded in an airport. (I was horrified...) She has used it ever since as a charger she leaves in her office.

Doing some research, I know that they make a zillion tips for everything, and I was looking through the ad copy for any suspect phrase that might tell me not to trust the iGo, along the lines of "charges your device faster than the factory one" statements, which tell me they tear up batteries eventually. I didn't find one. I became more suspicious when her Blackberry battery had an unusually short lifespan.

It seems like a convenient idea to have all the tips, but tips alone doesn't make the iGo safe. Is there a more quantitative way (without tearing the unit apart) to see if a third-party charger is safe for your devices (specifically my iPhone 3G)? I searched and found many satisfied customers for other such units but I wonder what the long-term prognosis for their batteries is.

Thanks in advance,

yober
Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yober View Post
I have always been skeptical of chargers not made by the respective manufacturer and have stuck diligently with them for every device I've ever owned. My wife recently had to purchase an iGo something or other (not the Everywhere) to put juice into her Blackberry while stranded in an airport. (I was horrified...) She has used it ever since as a charger she leaves in her office.

Doing some research, I know that they make a zillion tips for everything, and I was looking through the ad copy for any suspect phrase that might tell me not to trust the iGo, along the lines of "charges your device faster than the factory one" statements, which tell me they tear up batteries eventually. I didn't find one. I became more suspicious when her Blackberry battery had an unusually short lifespan.

It seems like a convenient idea to have all the tips, but tips alone doesn't make the iGo safe. Is there a more quantitative way (without tearing the unit apart) to see if a third-party charger is safe for your devices (specifically my iPhone 3G)? I searched and found many satisfied customers for other such units but I wonder what the long-term prognosis for their batteries is.

Thanks in advance,

yober
Hola:
I'm sure after a month you've already figured this out, but the iGo chargers are actually quite reputable and hold up very well over the course of travel.

Like you, I generally won't spring for this kind of thing from a 3rd party but I'd looked into them at a radio shack display over a year ago, thinking what a fantastic idea. I change my gadgets frequently enough that springing for new travel chargers each time the need arose had become annoying, not to mention wasteful. I have an entire section of my closet dedicated to old cell phones, their chargers, and travel chargers.

Then, like your wife, ended up backed in a corner, stuck at an airport without a rapidly dwindling battery (for my phone and my ipod). Now I'm a huge fan of iGo and have discovered that several of my friends swear by them. I never leave on a business trip without my igo splitter--which allows me to charge 2 gadgets out of one outlet (handy when you don't want to lug around 2 chargers and potentially a power strip).

Did you ever end up getting the iGo? (and btw the igo is still the only 3rd party charger I've ever purchased)

Last edited by ultress; 09-27-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM

entreat
Banned

I looked for one a while ago and ended up purchasing the Macsense pp-08 Gum Pro. I purchased this directly from Macsense. The battery capacity is 4400mAh. This is enough to charge the iphone 3 or 4 times. I am using it with a iPhone 3G however it works with all iPhones from the 1st gen to the 3GS.

The pp-08 has come in handy so many times when I have been out and not been near a charger. Just keep it in the car or my backpack depending on where im at.

I ordered it from here:

http://store.macsensestore.com/pp-08.html
Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Junior Lounger

What I have heard from so many people is that iGo is really good and rarely creates any problem.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for all the answers! My wife already had the iGo, I was wondering if she was going to damage anything, and if anybody had any experience with them on their Apple products.

Again, thanks

yober

Topic: The iGo, and third-party chargers in general

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.