Apple's Universal Dock with remote: using with iPod touch - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Apple's Universal Dock with remote: using with iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 AM

Junior Lounger

Apple's Universal Dock with remote: using with iPod touch

I have an iPod touch 2G and im thinking about getting the Apple Universal Dock. However, I have a concern with the remote.

First of all, I know that the meny button does nothing, so lets get that out of the way.

Now, im a bit confused on how the remote works with the iPod touch. I know there are next/previous song, pause/play, and volume buttons. But those buttons assume you are already in the place you want to be in the iPod.

What if, say, I'm in a playlist and want to change to a different play list? Or if Im in a playlist and want to get out of it and browse under the artist section? What if I am browing the "all songs" tab and want to enter a playlist? How would you do these things with the remote without actually touching the iPod itself?

Thanks for the help
Old 08-16-2009, 12:14 PM

Veteran Lounger

Quote:
Now, im a bit confused on how the remote works with the iPod touch. I know there are next/previous song, pause/play, and volume buttons. But those buttons assume you are already in the place you want to be in the iPod.
This pretty much covers the full functionality of the remote.

Quote:
What if, say, I'm in a playlist and want to change to a different play list? Or if Im in a playlist and want to get out of it and browse under the artist section? What if I am browing the "all songs" tab and want to enter a playlist? How would you do these things with the remote without actually touching the iPod itself?
You can not do any of these with the remote, most of these actions would require the Menu button to do something.

Incidentally, the iPod touch makes a great remote to browse and control iTunes on a computer or an Apple TV using the free Remote app and a wifi connection. Connect your computer to the stereo or use an Airport Express to send the audio from the computer to the stereo and control it with the touch.

64GB iPad 3, 64GB iPhone 5s, 1G 16GB touch, 4G & 6G Silver 16GB nano, 5G 60GB iPod, 1G AppleTV, 2G ATV, Late 2013 27" iMac
Old 08-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Junior Lounger

Yeah, I'm really only concerned about remote-controlling the iPod touch itself, not my computer or tv.

I'm kind of dissapointed that the remote for the universal remote isn't truly "fully functional" for the iPod touch.

On a side note, does any know of a good and affordable alternative to the Apple dock with a good remote and a line-or Jack?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM

Junior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdqnoc View Post
I'm kind of dissapointed that the remote for the universal remote isn't truly "fully functional" for the iPod touch.
It isn't fully functional for any iPod.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Freshman Lounger

Well, you say that you use a universal remote, but you have to check out the compatibility of the product that you use it with. I hope it doesn't works for the iPod touch that you own. Maybe a remote that's been specifically made for iPod touch or a dock will work out.

Topic: Apple's Universal Dock with remote: using with iPod touch

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.