What do you recommend? FM Transmitter question

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

kornchild2002

Just a quick question: does your car's deck work with cassettes or have an auxiliary input? Please don't take this as me treating you like your are dumb. I am just making sure that you haven't rules out those options as an FM transmitter should be the very last thing that you get. They are expensive (if you want a good model) and produce crap quality even compared to a cassette adapter.

You can also purchase an iPod installation kit for your factory stereo. Those are a little pricey but they are much better than FM transmitters.

olly

Just a quick question: does your car's deck work with cassettes or have an auxiliary input? Please don't take this as me treating you like your are dumb. I am just making sure that you haven't rules out those options as an FM transmitter should be the very last thing that you get. They are expensive (if you want a good model) and produce crap quality even compared to a cassette adapter.

You can also purchase an iPod installation kit for your factory stereo. Those are a little pricey but they are much better than FM transmitters.

No aux, it's an FM or nothing for me I'm afraid. No offence taken by the way,

Nomenclature

Save a little more cash and get an ipod ready deck, good transmitters are what, $60-100 (I'm thinking in canadian funds), you can get basic ipod ready decks for a like $150... I paid $300 for an Alpine iDA-X305 deck that fully controls the ipod and has a kickass LCD screen that shows album artwork & playlists, I'll never look back... I don't know how it is in the UK, but here literally every spot on the dial is taken by a radio station or bleedover from other channels, you may find a station that works for a little bit but as you drive around I would have to adjust to another station, it's really spotty unless I'm off the grid with no radio at all...

hardwire it, the small amount of extra cost is well worth the increase in quality and decrease of wasted time/annoyance...

kornchild2002

A good FM transmitters is around $70-$100 here in the U.S. as well. An iPod installation kit can be purchased for $100-$150 (U.S.), that would produce better quality. It would also allow the car CD deck to control the iPod. These work with factory standard CD decks and there are some that work with aftermarket decks as well.

Digital

You might also try these folks I got a USASpec adapter for my Volvo from them and they shipped to the UK in a matter of days. It's been working fine for the last three years and with a cable upgrade (which I bought from them earlier this year) it now charges my iPhone 3G. Worth considering if changing the head unit isn't an option, and it wasn't for me as it's a Dolby system.

Last edited:

size7

Hi,
Can anyone help me? I have recently purchased 2 Griffin itrips (dock connectors) and both have left me with the same problem.
Im using a 5th gen ipod (otherwise known as ipod video).
When i plug it in, the screen lights up, but with no lcd display (therefore no FM frequency etc) and when i try to play a song, the screen flashes irregularly.

Anyone know what im doing wrong? This is my 2nd one and i dont believe that both could be faulty.

Much appreciated

olly

Thanks for the replies folks. I decided to take "nomenclature's" advice and buy a new head unit with an"aux" option for connection. Glad I did it works fine and I am lovin the the fact that I am getting best out of my iPod.