Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: What do you recommend? FM Transmitter question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Freshman Lounger

What do you recommend? FM Transmitter question

I have a 3rd Gen Nano, what FM transmitter does anyone recommend?

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Just a quick question: does your car's deck work with cassettes or have an auxiliary input? Please don't take this as me treating you like your are dumb. I am just making sure that you haven't rules out those options as an FM transmitter should be the very last thing that you get. They are expensive (if you want a good model) and produce crap quality even compared to a cassette adapter.

You can also purchase an iPod installation kit for your factory stereo. Those are a little pricey but they are much better than FM transmitters.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornchild2002 View Post
Just a quick question: does your car's deck work with cassettes or have an auxiliary input? Please don't take this as me treating you like your are dumb. I am just making sure that you haven't rules out those options as an FM transmitter should be the very last thing that you get. They are expensive (if you want a good model) and produce crap quality even compared to a cassette adapter.

You can also purchase an iPod installation kit for your factory stereo. Those are a little pricey but they are much better than FM transmitters.

No aux, it's an FM or nothing for me I'm afraid. No offence taken by the way,
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Junior Lounger

Save a little more cash and get an ipod ready deck, good transmitters are what, $60-100 (I'm thinking in canadian funds), you can get basic ipod ready decks for a like $150... I paid $300 for an Alpine iDA-X305 deck that fully controls the ipod and has a kickass LCD screen that shows album artwork & playlists, I'll never look back... I don't know how it is in the UK, but here literally every spot on the dial is taken by a radio station or bleedover from other channels, you may find a station that works for a little bit but as you drive around I would have to adjust to another station, it's really spotty unless I'm off the grid with no radio at all...

hardwire it, the small amount of extra cost is well worth the increase in quality and decrease of wasted time/annoyance...
Old 07-31-2009, 10:53 AM

A good FM transmitters is around $70-$100 here in the U.S. as well. An iPod installation kit can be purchased for $100-$150 (U.S.), that would produce better quality. It would also allow the car CD deck to control the iPod. These work with factory standard CD decks and there are some that work with aftermarket decks as well.

64GB iPhone 5 | 64GB iPad mini | AppleTV 2 (2012) | AppleTV 2 (2010) | 4GB 3G iPod shuffle | 2012 15" MacBook Pro, 1TB SSHD, 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz, OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion | Apple Lossless | iTunes AAC -Q 68 | iTunes 11.1 | Library size = 1.78TB | Legacy iPods: 3G 40GB, 4G 40GB, 5G 60GB, 160GB iPod classic (2009)
Old 08-04-2009, 12:23 AM

Junior Lounger

You might also try these folks I got a USASpec adapter for my Volvo from them and they shipped to the UK in a matter of days. It's been working fine for the last three years and with a cable upgrade (which I bought from them earlier this year) it now charges my iPhone 3G. Worth considering if changing the head unit isn't an option, and it wasn't for me as it's a Dolby system.

Last edited by Digital; 08-04-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Freshman Lounger

Hi,
Can anyone help me? I have recently purchased 2 Griffin itrips (dock connectors) and both have left me with the same problem.
Im using a 5th gen ipod (otherwise known as ipod video).
When i plug it in, the screen lights up, but with no lcd display (therefore no FM frequency etc) and when i try to play a song, the screen flashes irregularly.

Anyone know what im doing wrong? This is my 2nd one and i dont believe that both could be faulty.

Much appreciated
Old 08-10-2009, 05:55 PM

Freshman Lounger

Thanks for the replies folks. I decided to take "nomenclature's" advice and buy a new head unit with an"aux" option for connection. Glad I did it works fine and I am lovin the the fact that I am getting best out of my iPod.

Topic: What do you recommend? FM Transmitter question

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.