Motorola S9 Conterfeits on eBay? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Motorola S9 Conterfeits on eBay?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:03 PM

Junior Lounger

Motorola S9 Conterfeits on eBay?

I had a Motorola S9 MotoROKR BlueTooth headset that I liked very much. But, my son (now 3.5 yo) got a hold of it to play with several times, and that was it for my favorite BT headset.

I finally decided to replace it, and since it has been out for at least a few years, when I found them NEW on eBay for $25 with free shipping from Hong Kong, frankly, I wasn't that suspicious because that's what I think they should be selling for now, and the seller has a good rep.

When I got it though, I noticed several things that made me think this was not new, and possibly not authentic:

1) The headset came in what looked like an authentic Motorola box, but was just rattling around inside. The box wasn't sealed and there wasn't any internal packaging other than a plastic bag over the extra rubber earpiece covers.

2) The construction seemed shoddy. The LED was partially pushed in on one end, so it isn't flush with the case surface of the case. When you pull back the ill-fitting rubber flap from over the mini-USB port, you see that the seam in the plastic is not entirely even, as if it has been put together poorly, or opened and reclosed. The port itself does not align with the opening in the plastic. There are two little plastic bands on either side of the back of the headset, that cover part of where the headset is screwed together, which are supposed to be flush and secure, but which are loose and come off. There is also a part of the earpieces, below where the replaceable rubber earpiece cups go, which is made of the same rubber, but is fixed in place. On the new ones, it comes off easily just like the ear cups. The play/pause button is very unresponsive and I have tried it with several devices.

3) Last but not least, there is no serial number sticker where it should be, under the rubber flap.

That said, I will tell you that the sound quality is on par with the ones I used before, and does recognize as a Motorola S9 when paired with my phone (my iPod w/dongle doesn't show anything but it works there too).

Anyone else have experience with this particular product or with counterfeits in general? Am I being paranoid, or does it sound like I have a counterfeit product?

The seller has offered to:

A) accept a return and send me a replacement (I haven't replied so I don't know if I can get him to pay shipping) or

B) let me keep it and send me a replacement if I pay the $9.99 to send out another.

Any thoughts on the offer? Again, pairing is easy and sound quality is on par with my original. I am wondering if it's less trouble to pay $10 and hope for better luck this time and have a spare, then to pay to send it back.

Thanks!

Last edited by pelikan3; 07-10-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Topic: Motorola S9 Conterfeits on eBay?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.