Best Bluetooth Headsets for iPhone?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

renderboy

iPhone 3.0 now supports wireless stereo bluetooth headphones. I was considering getting the Bluetooth® Motorokr S9-HD Stereo Headset because it has better bass than the previous Bluetooth® Motorokr S9 (red band). Headphones/Headsets don't need to be able to make call from (that would be a bonus though) but must be stereo headsets with good to better audio quality. I've seen the S9-HD's for as low as $69 USD new.

Anyone else offer any good suggestions for bluetooth headphones? Please post your thoughts.

Tom

earldom

I think there aren't any great ones out there yet. Maybe the 3.0 update will generate some better companies to put some out.

I have the Plantronics 590s (no highs), Motorola S9s (ok sound, no bass...horrible battery), Samsung SBH-700s (best sound, still no bass, uncomfortable).

On a bad note with the iPhone, video over bluetooth is way out of sync and unwatchable. They really need to fix it!

crawdad62

I'm really curious about this too. I use my iPhone when I'm mowing the yard and I'd love to get rid of those wires. I looked at the S9 which is cheap enough that it might be worth a shot. I listen to podcast so fidelity isn't really important. What I'm hoping as you guys are that now stereo BT is supported it'll kick manufactures into gear and we'll see more choices.

renderboy

I've googled the MotoRokr S9-HD and found it for $51.99 plus shipping from N1wireless.com

Anyone find any better places or better deals on this?

Tom

crawdad62

That seems like a real decent price for a set of the HD's. I haven't seen it too many places for less than $70. Thanks for the heads up.

cloverridge

I hope they have changed the S9's quality wise. I owned two pairs and used them for running and both died on me once they got sweaty. Both pairs last around two months. After the fact I read quite a bit where others were having the same issue...sweat was killing the headset.

I ended up with Sony's BT-22's which have worked flawlessly and sync up great with 3.0. They are a bit older so there may be better out now. I found I really liked how the controls were laid out on the ear piece and they have held up to all kinds of sweat:)

I would say the sound quality is decent and the range is pretty good (can go up or down floors away from my IPhone with no drops.

Again the sound quality won't knock your socks off but for durability,player control and bluetooth performance they've been great.

earldom

We really need some good companies to start making bluetooth headsets. You listening Etymotic, Ultimate Ears, etc???

crawdad62

i agree with you. the only reason i am liking the sony ones is because i have read that the moto ones seem to short out from sweat or liquid.
Well I agree with you:)

That does seem to be a reoccurring theme with the Moto's. I ended up ordering some S9's (not the HD version) since they're about as cheap as a set of "regular" headphones. I am concerned with the sweating deal. I'm planning on using them when I mow the yard. I would use them for running but Apple deemed it not necessary for my 3G to have Nike+. :confused:

cloverridge

I truly hope you have better luck than I did with the S9's. While they worked I did enjoy them and was disappointed when both pairs died.

renderboy

How does the MotoRokr s9-HD's compare in sound to the Sony? I read some reviews where the newer s9-HD's had a great bass sound. Anyone with experience with the s9-HD's.

crawdad62

Just wanted to get back with you all. I received the S9's. Seem pretty decent. Honestly I can't imagine sweating enough to short them out or corrode them. But I haven't had them long enough to know.

I got them from Amazon and they were their "bulk packaged" deal. They came in a plastic bag and were sort of deformed when I first got them out. Seem to be settling in and are more uniform now. They paired with the iPhone without any issues at all. Couldn't have been easier.

My only complaint (and it's probably going to be a deal breaker) is the volume is just too low. Or should I say they're too low for what I'm wanting to use them for. I wanted to use them for mowing the yard. I use a push mower to trim out my yard and I'm usually using my iPhone to listen to podcasts while doing so. But these just aren't loud enough to overcome the noise of the mower. If I listen to music they're barely passable but that only because I know the music and can "fill in" what I'm not truly hearing. But for spoken word they just don't go loud enough. The regular headphones (Apple) are fine. I just wish these would be as loud.

renderboy

Crawdad, I suggest getting noise canceling headphones (studio headphones that cover the whole ear) for mowing. If you turn up the sound louder than the mower to actually hear and understand talking or music you are definitely causing hearing damage. Really it doesn't take sound much louder than a mower for an extended period to cause damage. And it might take a few years before you realize the damage, when it'd be too late. I'm guessing you're a young guy. Us older guys try to keep what we have left, hearing-wise.

crawdad62

I'm a 47 year old firefighter that's had sirens blowing in my ear for almost 24 years. Not to mention going to many Ted Nugent concerts during his heyday. But yeah I know what you mean. Still even with the stock earbuds I didn't have to have the sound maxed out to hear when I was mowing. These are WAY less volume. After posting the last post I decided it was a deal breaker. I ended up returning them. Well they're boxed up and are going to be sent back at least.

cloverridge

Just wanted to get back with you all. I received the S9's. Seem pretty decent. Honestly I can't imagine sweating enough to short them out or corrode them. But I haven't had them long enough to know.

I got them from Amazon and they were their "bulk packaged" deal. They came in a plastic bag and were sort of deformed when I first got them out. Seem to be settling in and are more uniform now. They paired with the iPhone without any issues at all. Couldn't have been easier.

My only complaint (and it's probably going to be a deal breaker) is the volume is just too low. Or should I say they're too low for what I'm wanting to use them for. I wanted to use them for mowing the yard. I use a push mower to trim out my yard and I'm usually using my iPhone to listen to podcasts while doing so. But these just aren't loud enough to overcome the noise of the mower. If I listen to music they're barely passable but that only because I know the music and can "fill in" what I'm not truly hearing. But for spoken word they just don't go loud enough. The regular headphones (Apple) are fine. I just wish these would be as loud.
I couldn't believe when sweat killed mine. They seemed heavy duty. Two pairs though did the exact same thing and it's weird you mention volume because they both had "volume issues".

When I first got them they were fine but after a bit (didn't take much use unfortunately) the volume output dropped tremendously from them until eventually I couldn't get the volume to adjust at all then eventually kaput.

Just curious since you mentioned a lack of volume output and that was the beginning of the end of mine on both pairs.

So maybe not sweat just poop quality?

renderboy

Okay, I've got the MotoRokr S9-HD for $51.99 plus shipping and here are my thoughts after having them for 1 month.

On the sweat thing, I'm not noticing any problem yet. I sweat when I walk/jogging and I go out in fog sometimes or light mist. So condensation has gotten on mine.

Sound is pretty good (think $20 sony headphone quality) with the surround sound setting the only one I'll use. Otherwise the sound seems too treble thin. I like the earbud covers. Seals well around the inside of my ear, and I've had trouble with other earbuds and seating in my ear. I don't use these to mow my lawn and the volume is always kept way down. These can go pretty loud. When I walk/jog next to a road I don't even turn them up all the way. My hearing is that of a 49 year old, so I thought the volume performed well.

The build, quality and sleek low-profile design style makes you look cool with these. A plus in my book. After all I have a stylish iPhone. Why not stylish wireless headphones?

The charge seems to hold fairly well too.

Receiving phone calls work perfectly (music quiets and comes back up after the call). The call quality to my caller is a bit less than a dedicated bluetooth headset with noise reduction when I'm walking outside in a windy environment. This is probably due to the fact most dedicated bluetooth headsets direct the microphone closer to your mouth, whereas the Rokr's are farther back. Inside the house or in quieter environments though it compares to a good quality bluetooth headset, if just a tad quieter in overall call volume to my caller.

The only thing I can say bad about these is something that plagues all wireless headphones. Namely, that the wireless bluetooth signal generated by devices, such as the iPhone, compress the signal that is sent to the wireless headphones and that means there is something like a 1-second or less compression/converting lag in the audio when you watch video. So, keep in mind these or any wireless headphones may have a slight lag in the audio of the videos you are watching on the screen. I have to say I was disappointed, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

These are still wonderful for listening to music and podcasts on-the-go. And I appreciate the lack of wires to deal with and the low profile in wearing them around others.

For $51 plus shipping I'm still glad I bought them.

Last edited: