Is there an iPhone 3G-compatible car charger with line out & NO INTERFERENCE? - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Is there an iPhone 3G-compatible car charger with line out & NO INTERFERENCE?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Freshman Lounger

Red face Is there an iPhone 3G-compatible car charger with line out & NO INTERFERENCE?

I have been going nuts going through all of these reviews.

I have an aux-in port on my Scion xB. I just want a mount that I can stick my iPhone 3G into to charge it and send sound to my stereo.

Based on the reviews, it seems like none of the all-in-one mounts really work very well, especially with the iPhone 3G. The Belkin TuneBase FM has the best review, but I'm not sure it will work with my silicone case, and now I see reviews on Amazon saying that it doesn't work with the iPhone 3G at all. Belkin only lists support for the iPhone 1G & 2G on its website.

I'm pretty much resigned at this point to shelling out the cash for a real ProClip mount with a pass-through connector.

But now what do I hook up to the pass-through connector? Is there a decent charger with line-out that doesn't cause interference? I had the Griffin AutoPilot, and it definitely caused interference. I could hear whining in sync with the charging light. Do I seriously have to buy a mount, a mounting clip, a charger, and a ridiculous noise-reducing cable all separately, just to get clean sound from my iPhone's dock port?

Does anybody know what the deal is with the TuneBase FM and the iPhone 3G?
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Exactly what I'm looking for

This is exactly what I'm looking for. I thought the new TuneBase Direct was the solution I've been waiting for but it was a huge disappointment in the iLounge review. In particular, it has features I don't need -- speakerphone!

I don't even want that feature, and it adds the requirement that you use the headphone output on your iphone to get audio out. This is a huge step backwards from their older (non-3G compatible) model.

If they just eliminated the speakerphone feature, they could have gotten audio from the dock connector and I would have had the dream solution.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Freshman Lounger

Me Too

I don't even care about a cradle or holder. All I want is something that provides charging and audio line-out from the iPhone 3G's dock connector.

The Griffin AutoPilot would fit the bill perfectly, except that for some unfathomable reason there isn't one that works with iPhone.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Freshman Lounger

Ya...what's the deal here???? WHAT THE F?

I want a device for the 3GS that has:

1) Line Level Audio Out via 1/8" stereo jack
2) Charging
3) No TDMA interference
4) Ability to still use the device as a phone - built in speakerphone and mic is fine.
5) Cradle with 12V Male connected on gooseneck

IS THAT SO HARD???
Old 06-21-2009, 10:16 PM

Veteran Lounger

Perhaps that new TomTom mount will fit the bill.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM

Freshman Lounger

possible solution

I installed a groubd loop isolator (Radio Shack) into my factory CD Changer. This unit is simple to install you just have to worry about hiding the wires. I'm using a factory iPhone 3G home dock and it works flawlessly with zero interference.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Freshman Lounger

This might be promising...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TR...mco=MjE1NTk1MA

...but I hear what you're saying. This is totally a segment of the market that is sorely being looked over...and it's not right I tell ya! It's not right at all...

That TomTom joint looks SWEET.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 AM

Freshman Lounger

I use a Kenwood KCA-iP200 iPod connector cable which has the iPod dock connector on one end and it splits out to a USB plug for power and a standard 3.5mm stereo plug for the audio. The audio plugs directly into the back of my stereo deck and I have the USB plugged into a Griffin PowerJolt which I have hard wired into the 12 volt line going to the stereo. If your deck has RCA ports instead, just get a female 3.5mm to male RCA adapter from Radio Shack. Of course all of this is stuffed inside the dash behind the stereo. Unlike many other car integration products, this one doesn't disable the iPod/iPhone and control is via the stereo.

of course you could also buy the Apple Composite AV cable but that costs $49.

The Kenwood cable comes out the dash behind an old Dice Electronics video cradle mount that has a passthru dock connector on the back. Unfortunately they do not make the cradle part that fits the iPhone, only old iPod Video and Nanos, so I have removed it and just have the bare mount with the dock adapter sticking up. Still works great though. I'm seriously thinking of replacing it with this Proclip holder since it is made for the iPhone and it has a passthru connector.

The iPhone does complain when I connect that this accessory isn't approved (not sure if it is talking about the Dice mount, the Kenwood cable, or my stereo) and ask if I want to switch to airplane mode to minimize interference.

Definitely the best setup I've done so far. Now I need to find an adapter that will twist the mount 90 degrees so I can switch to landscape mode but for that, I would need Dice to make a cradle adapter that will hold the iPhone.

Just a bit of advice, shop around for the Kenwood cable. You can find them as cheap as $5 on eBay (plus shipping) and as high as $65 from some online retailers. I got mine from a local car stereo shop for $15 but they were a PITA because they wanted to be too helpful. They asked which deck I had in the car and I said JVC and they freaked out saying this is a Kenwood cable and it will not work. I said I understand that but I just need the cable for the purpose of splitting the power and audio from an iPod. I had to talk to 3 salesmen including the sales manager until they would sell it. I guess they were afraid of me returning an opened product. I wouldn't have bothered with them but they are the only shop near me that sells any Kenwood product.

Last edited by Smudge; 06-26-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

i plan on getting the kensington liquidaux as a charger + aux out solution. they will also mail you a free ground loop isolator if you call their tech support. it was either that or the tuneflex which got a bad review on this site (too quiet and very noisy apparently)

i do agree though, this specific part of the market seems to be void of better choices.

i wish the price of the tomtom mount was known. as someone who recently got their standalone garmin gps stolen, it might be a better investment for me overall since it does iphone charging + aux out AND a better gps chip within.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Freshman Lounger

So with the Kenwood cable, does phone audio still output to the car speaker?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM

Freshman Lounger

Does anyone see the Griffin TuneFlex AUX Smartclick combined with the griffin noise reducing audio cable as an ideal solution?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM

Freshman Lounger

I have an iPhone 3GS with an aux jack and charger plug in my center console. I tried several options and was having the same problem as most people here. Great sound with the aux jack but distortion with a charger connected.

After trying a couple of different options, I found the perfect device at Best Buy. It's the Monster iCarCharger 1000 - combo charger and aux jack. I paid $50.00 at Best Buy - hooked it up in the parking lot, and Voila'!! - distortion gone and problem solved.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5340

This thing is sweet!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 PM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWilmath View Post
I have an iPhone 3GS with an aux jack and charger plug in my center console. I tried several options and was having the same problem as most people here. Great sound with the aux jack but distortion with a charger connected.

After trying a couple of different options, I found the perfect device at Best Buy. It's the Monster iCarCharger 1000 - combo charger and aux jack. I paid $50.00 at Best Buy - hooked it up in the parking lot, and Voila'!! - distortion gone and problem solved.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5340

This thing is sweet!
So how long have you been working for this company?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 AM

Freshman Lounger

Hey ridingtime....

Actually, I am a real estate appraiser in Tampa, Fl. You can google my name - Tim Wilmath. I found a great solution to a problem that obviously several people in the forum shared. I'm sorry you mistook my enthusiasm for what you thought was an inside company plant. If you don't like my solution, that's fine - but immature attacks on forum participants is exactly the reason I don't normally post to these forums. Your response to my suggestion reinforced that perception. Do me a favor - don't try the solution I suggested - it wasn't meant for you ~ Tim
Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Freshman Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimWilmath View Post
Hey ridingtime....

Actually, I am a real estate appraiser in Tampa, Fl. You can google my name - Tim Wilmath. I found a great solution to a problem that obviously several people in the forum shared. I'm sorry you mistook my enthusiasm for what you thought was an inside company plant. If you don't like my solution, that's fine - but immature attacks on forum participants is exactly the reason I don't normally post to these forums. Your response to my suggestion reinforced that perception. Do me a favor - don't try the solution I suggested - it wasn't meant for you ~ Tim
Hey listen, sorry for my assumption, but it seemed quite obvious when everything that everyone else was suggesting and trying to find was a durable iPhone charger with a stand and something that had a way of reducing the car interference. This thing has no stand, looks very standard, and has nothing about reducing that annoying car sound. Also it was your first post.

But hey, its just a iphone accessory, no need to get heated over this.

Last edited by ridingtime; 07-06-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Topic: Is there an iPhone 3G-compatible car charger with line out & NO INTERFERENCE?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.