Motion Activated ipod challenge

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

ThePhenom

Ok I've wanted this for a while and I can't find anything so I thought I would ask the experts here at iLounge.

I would like a system so that my ipod begins to play when I walk in the house or room. Is there any way to make this happen. Is there a home theatre solution for me? Even if its a combination of equipment.

Best guesses welcome. Thank you very much.

ThePhenom

If money were not an issue what is the best options available? Still looking for a good solution.

Thank you S2_Mac for the link.

I spoke with a X10 representitive. Seems like the only thing available would be to get an iPod docking station that could be turned on by a motion sensor but there is no way to get the iPod to play by motion activation.

Is there an iPod that has a timer feature so it would begin to play music at a certain time?

Last edited:

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
ThePhenom said:
If money were not an issue what is the best options available?
I would go into an high-end audio store in your area.

These people will customize it for you if they don't find an off-the-shell solution. They will build your whole home theater with imported Italian marbles if u ask. They know EVERYTHING.

May want to check out the ppl who did Bill Gates' mansion, he has video screens scathered through the house and as guests move through it, the video (with audio I presume if application) follow them.

Last edited:

ThePhenom

Ok well I don't think buying bill gates house is really an option. I've talked to a lot of audio stores and none really have any solutions. I will keep searching for an alternative.

Any idea on an ipod timer?

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
Didn't say buy his house, just hire his AV designer.

Can't say I find this application useful, care to share why is it to you? U know, just so that members like myself stay interested in this thread.

ThePhenom

Honestly I just think music is very soothing and it would be nice to have it playing for me/guests when they walk into my house.

Obviously I realize people will just say, walk to the stereo put on a playlist and hit play. But that is why it is a challenge. If no one can come up with an answer then it will remain a challenge for someone else to solve.

bobb-mini

Insanely Sarcastic
I know if I walk into a strange room and music starts playing, that would startle me. OK, maybe good for halloween. Plus at different times, I would be in mood for different genre of music. In the future when there is a player which can read my mood, then BAM, I want that, but in the meantime, I like to manually select what I want to listen to.

Am trying to assertain whether this is a challenge worth spending time on. Thinking out loud, don't mind me.

But OK, like S2_mac days, the X10 system will get u started. Check out their site see if anything applicable. X10 are "some asssembly required" but reasonably priced. If buy-and-plug in is what u looking for, I'd plan to shell out usd$1,000. No particular thing in mind, just my experienced guess.

ThePhenom

Ok thank you for your help. And I didn't think about the Halloween idea but that would be excellent as well.

I think it pretty much comes down to finding a way to get an iPod to begin playing music without the play button physically being pressed.? Anyone???

Last edited:

S2_Mac

Well, there are remotes that control docks. Some brainiac should be able to figure out the infrared pulses that make up the remote's commands. (Of course, no idea if dock-remotes can wake an iPod from sleep....)

And I can't see any reason to limit this to iPods. This would be a much easier task if you were using a computer as a sound source. (That's why I recommended X10...way back in the day, we used HyperCard to talk to/from X10 controllers via our networked Macs.) With a computer as sound source, you can talk to the "house" via WiFi, or set a Cron job (whatever does the equivalent on Windows) or calendar app to run a scheduled job, or set up a VPN to control it from anywhere, etc.

(Or just leave a stereo running all day ;-)