Belkin battery pack

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

origbarton37

Does anyone know what pins the power connectors hooks up into the dock connector in the belkin battery pack? Also, what is in the belkin pack that lets the ipod run off it and not charge and let the ipod run off only 6 volts?

fasterthanlight

Website
www.jamieroy.com
Well, i popped open the belkin pack a couple of weeks ago, its not that hard:
with the battery cover off, on each side of the pack, there are two "rails" that the cover slides on. take one, press it inwards and pull up. now, instead of going to the other side, move across to the front of the pack, and pry it some more. this should give more clearance on the side you just yanked up, so it is no longer hooked onto the rest of the pack. no just lift out the other side. upon looking inside the pack, youll notice a certain lack of electronics. thats because this pack costs only about $6 for the materials to build it. Its a very simple piece of electronics, and in my opinion not worth it at all for 50-60 dollars. If you'll look there are two places where the electronics are soldered on. the front where the leds, and the pack where the firewire cable is. the board where the firewire cable is attached is where the mysterious gizmo that makes it run off of only 6 volts resides. right in the middle youll notice a chip, and i thinks thats the "step up inverter" or something like that. thats what makes the whole thing work
i hope ive helped you, even though i havent answered your question about the power connectors.

Flight16

Chip Numbers

Are there any numbers visible on the chips on the board? It would be very helpful to understand what's going on.

Thanks.

brted

Website
igirder.com
I don't think a step up inverter is required. The Belkin powers the iPod directly instead of acting like a charger (which requires 7.8 volts or something like that). The iPod's internal battery is only 3.7 volts so that's all the iPod needs for power. The key is which pins of the dock connector the pack uses because if you knew those you could build your own. Somebody did some tests and posted the results before the iPodlounge crash.

schwab35

If some one would open one up and take a picture or something, that would be huge for the progression of the homemade battery pack. I dont think its jus another pin connected, i would guess is some kinda chip that is telling the iPod to use this power instead of the power in the iPod.

perplex

its interesting yeh, it could be what you just said a chip telling the ipod to use the batteries instead of the internal ipod battery or it could be special pins on the dock connector. but either way you'd have to be a seperate dock cable to make your own 4AA pack because you wont be able to just snap your 6-4pin adapter in two like before ; )

would interesting to see how belkin do it though...