iphone 3G plays music using Bluetooth A2DP and Pioneer car audio deck - iLounge Forums
Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: iphone 3G plays music using Bluetooth A2DP and Pioneer car audio deck

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 10-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Freshman Lounger

iphone 3G plays music using Bluetooth A2DP and Pioneer car audio deck

iphone 3G works with A2DP using the Sony TMR-BT81P adapter! Here's my project: connect my iphone 3G to my car stereo using A2DP. I was able to successfully connect my iphone 3G to my car deck using this adapter, play music, and change tracks. The car this was installed on was my mercedes c-class '02 model. Heres the equipment I used:

1) Pioneer DEH-6900UB car reciever (no longer sold, but newer ones are also Bluetooth compatible)
2) Pioneer CD-BTB100 Bluetooth module; connects to the car reciever for handsfree talking and stereo bluetooth
3) Sony TMR-BT81P bluetooth transmitter
4) Iphone 3G (mine was unlocked)

Steps to connect:

1) Swith car reciever to BT Audio (you can also do step 2 before 1).
2) Plug-in the Sony adapter into the iphone 3G
3) Swith to iPod music
4) Push the Sony adapter on button (only one button to sync/turn on/turn off).
5) The blue light will flash for several seconds while it syncs with the pioneer and it will then connect. You will get the 'accessory is not made for iphone prompt, swith to airplane mode'. Select no.
6) The pioneer deck will then change over to connected to iphone. Push play on the current song and you should start hearing music streaming through your car audio speakers. No wires! =) I was able to then change tracks using only the iphone/ipod screen controls, without having to use the reciever change track knob. I was also able to change tracks using the knob as well; perfrect if you want to hide away your iphone once connnected. Battery life on using the sony transmitter was pretty good considering.

Notes:
After fiddling with various scenarios, a couple of notes here.

Handsfree calling using the CD-BTB100: I also use the iphone 3G and bluetooth module for hands-free calling so if you connect the iphone 3G to the reciever for handsfree calling, expect some glitches. Sometimes when a call would come in, it would not revert back to the A2DP music being played at the time and sometimes freeze the iphone. If a freeze occurs after a phone-call, The only way to fix this was to disconnect the sony adapter and do a soft restart. Other times, I would connect the handsfree connection first and then play music second, for both functions to work properly. Make sure that once connected for audio a2dp and telephone that the reciever is telling you its connected.

On powering up:
Since this adapter feeds its power from the iphone, you have to connect and push the button everytime you disconnect it and then reconnect it for it to begin syncing with the car deck.

Car operation:
As any user of this pioneer module will tell you, the bluetooth connection will not stay on if you turn off the car and take out the key. This process has to be repeated everytime you power on the car and the car stereo recieves power.

The pictures:
The first pic is of the unit displaying no BT connection, with the adapter unconnected (of course).
Since I'm using the iphone photo function, the second pic shows that its connected once I do the above procedures and connect the adapter to my iphone, get a solid a2dp connection, and start playing music. I'll try to put up a youtube video of this process for you audiophiles out there. Enjoy!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 PM

Freshman Lounger

Here's the pics to my above post

I want to add pictures but I get an error saying 'new members are not permitted to post images or links'. Anyone know how to get rid of that and allow me to post pics?

Topic: iphone 3G plays music using Bluetooth A2DP and Pioneer car audio deck

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.