How do I connect a headphone amp to iPod?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

evoke

I have a new iPod Classic 120GB and this works very well with a tube amp that already has an iPod dock in it.

I have invested in a pair of Sennheiser HD595 headphones and I want to get the best out of them. I haven't received them yet but the iPod should be able to drive them. However, I would like to buy a headphone amplifier. Nearly all of the ones that I have researched require a line out signal.

So, how can I get a line out signal from my iPod Classic and feed a dedicated headphone amp with it? I guess i'll need some sort of cable or dock but I am very new to Apple's iPod so am unsure of what I really need.

misper666

you can buy generic ipod accessory dock to line out cables, some are the retractable type, i'm not sure these are great quality though. probably best to ask the amp manufacturer what they sell or recommend. have a look in headfi.org & their sponsors. maybe get a custom cable made for it.

nice headphones! i have them myself but have yet to buy an amp. they sound great without but so much better from an amp so i'm quite looking forward to it. taking my time looking at various amps though, & i'll still probably use these phones at home mostly (i love them too much i don't wanna damage them) :) .

evoke

^ I take it that the HD595's work okay without an amp when plugged into the iPod?

Digging a bit deeper, it seems like I need a Apple Universal Dock. This should provide me with a 3.5mm stereo line output jack (plus the obvious convenience of having a desk stand for the iPod and sync with my PC). I'll then need a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 x phono (RCA) plugs cable to plug into an amp. Unfortunately the Apple site lacks technical details for the Universal Dock.

Could someone confirm the above please?