Car adapter & charger for Auxiliary/Line-out port for iPod Touch 2nd gen

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

JF10

Previously I owned an iPod classic 30gb and paired it with a sik imp adapter (from sik's website, sik . com) to get pretty good sound quality through my car stereo/speaker system.

Recently I bought the new iPod touch 2nd gen and gave my old iPod classic to my dad. However, when I attach the sik imp adapter in my car to the bottom port on my new iPod touch, a message comes up on the screen of the iPod saying something about 'This device does not support charging.'

The iPod will not play music through the line-out port, nor will it charge through the car adapter, but it will play music (obviously) through the headphone jack if I detach the headphone jack from the sik imp adapter and plug it into the headphone jack on the iPod touch.

The question: Is there any device someone knows of that is compatible with the iPod touch 2nd gen that gives line-out quality audio? I need something that's essentially identical to the sik imp but which is compatible with the newest iPod touch. I've looked around but haven't had any success in finding such a product. They've existed for all the previous models of iPods, there just seems to be none for the new iPod touch 2g that was recently released.

Maybe it's too soon to expect adapters and line-out/auxiliary accessories for such a new iPod? Anyway, any and all help is appreciated.

jdepew

I'm looking for a similar solution. I had previously used the Belkin 'Auto Kit for iPod w/ Dock Connector' that charged and had a line out through the dock connector.

Obviously since this uses the Firewire charging, it won't work with my new touch 2G. At least the line out work fine still.

I'll second the call for any information on products that will fill this gap and support the new iPods. Thanks!

JF10

I've been doing a lot of reading on these forums and other places on the internet and have found that, as of right now, there isn't any product on the market that charges and provides line-out for the iPod touch 2g.

I suspect that there'll be something useful coming out of griffin technology soon, but I'm going to say it will be a few weeks at the very least until we see anything. Or, maybe not. Who knows =/

For right now, I'm just keeping my touch 2g charged at home and at the office via USB, and it's enough to keep my iPod alive while I'm driving. I always hit the top button on my touch after I select a playlist or a song or something as to save as much battery power as possible, and I keep the volume at about 60 or 70%, letting my car stereo/speakers do more of the work for amplifying the sound. I've had good results.

But let's be honest, I'd really really really like a charger + line-out soon! :)

tonepod

peanuthead said:
Griffin AutoPilot works with 2g Touch flawlessly.
Yup--confirmed, as I tested it w/ my 2G IPT (I originally purchased the AutoPilot for use with my iPhone 3G).

Scott-R

peanuthead said:
Griffin AutoPilot works with 2g Touch flawlessly.
Doesn't the AutoPilot use FM? I thought the thread was about AUX/Line adapters?

I've never liked the FM transmitters. There are a few 2 gen compatible car adapters out there, but I can't use ones like Griffin's Tuneflex Aux: my car's AUX input (and the accompanying 12V adapter) is in the center console, under the armrest. The arm is too short to stick out, and if it was two or three times as long, I would then not be able to close the center armrest.

I'm trying to basically find a newer version of Belkin's car kit, without success.

JF10

Scott-R said:
Doesn't the AutoPilot use FM? I thought the thread was about AUX/Line adapters?

I've never liked the FM transmitters. There are a few 2 gen compatible car adapters out there, but I can't use ones like Griffin's Tuneflex Aux: my car's AUX input (and the accompanying 12V adapter) is in the center console, under the armrest. The arm is too short to stick out, and if it was two or three times as long, I would then not be able to close the center armrest.

I'm trying to basically find a newer version of Belkin's car kit, without success.
It does not use FM. I can't post a link, but griffintechnology. com is where you can go to look at it. It's for AUX input.

Scott-R

JF10 said:
It does not use FM. I can't post a link, but griffintechnology. com is where you can go to look at it. It's for AUX input.

The info at Griffin says:
iTrip AutoPilot
Charge/control/play your iPod or iPhone on your car stereo

iTrip broadcasts the music from your iPod to an open FM frequency on your car's FM stereo so you can play your tunes through your car stereo's speakers

JF10

Scott-R said:
The info at Griffin says:
iTrip AutoPilot
Charge/control/play your iPod or iPhone on your car stereo

iTrip broadcasts the music from your iPod to an open FM frequency on your car's FM stereo so you can play your tunes through your car stereo's speakers

No, the iTrip Auto Pilot is not the same as just the Auto Pilot, which is on this webpage here: ww w.griffintechnology. com/products/autopilot (minus the spaces because I can't post links yet).

I got mine in the mail today and have used it in my car twice since. There's no FM frequency used. This is how it works, I'll explain it for you: It's a car charger that plugs into your cigarette lighter plug. It has a cable going out one end of it that plugs into the -bottom- of your iPod. It is compatible with the 2nd generation iPod Touch, because that's what I have and it works for me, even though it's not listed as being compatible on Griffin's Website. But I promise you, it works. Then, there's a plug on the Auto Pilot where you plug a headphone cable in, which is connected to your car's Auxiliary jack on the back of the head unit on your stereo, which completes the whole thing to create an Aux-in setup for iPod music playback. No FM/radio frequency used or required, at all.

Scott-R

Griffin AutoPilot

A very late update to the topic, from personal experience:
1) the AutoPilot is "mostly" compatible with the Touch 2G. Griffin confirms that the Touch's video capabilities won't work while its attached--the video app quits. Not an issue for the driver, of course, but if a passenger wants to watch a video while the dock adapter is attached, they're SOL.

2) I really don't like the controls (they're on the plug itself). I can't access them in any of the cars I've used this in (the outlets have been too out of the way for the controls to be useful). Worse, though, the plug has a tendency to work its way a little loose, and I keep accidentally hitting the back or forward button (on the outer rim of the power plug) when pushing it back into place. I really wish the controls had been on the cord instead, closer to the dock connector.