Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: A really stupid question. How do you wear in ear earphones?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM

Money Begger

Red face A really stupid question. How do you wear in ear earphones?

Lol.

I bought my first in ear buds (skullcandy inkd) and placed them in my ears, but they just fell off. Am I supposed to really shove them in there because it feels really weird, like im deaf or something. And how do I deal with the cords bouncing up and down? The noise vibrates through them to my ears.

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:24 PM

Reclined Lounger

Hi. The in ear phones work by the bud causing a seal. This is what keeps some of the noise out and lets you play the music at a lower level. Take your right hand and reach over your head and grab the top of your left ear. Pull straight up and slightly out. Place the bud in your ear than let go of you ear. Do the same on the other side. Might take a few tries to get it right.

Piano Man
Old 06-30-2008, 10:57 PM

Power Lounger

^^this^^ is very sound advice.

I had a few issues with the fitment of in-ear canalphones before I was given this trick.

Also - make sure the rubber earpiece is the right size - too small and it'll fall out, too big and it just won't fit in your ear at all - that's why they give you 3 sizes.

The cord making noise is just one of those things - kind of bugs me but I live with it.

//iPhone 6 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks Air // Retina iPad Mini 128 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 07-01-2008, 11:08 AM

Power Lounger

All in ears will give you microphonics (the noise when the cord touches something.)
Another helpful hint is to open your mouth slightly when putting in the earphones, this causes your jaw to relax which makes it easier to get the buds in.

3g nano | | 2g shuffle | NEW! 120gb classic | Grado SR225 | Sennheiser HD280 pro
Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

Junior Lounger

this is where the sonys are superior. or any headphone with a asymmetric necklace type arrangement where one side takes most of the cord weight and has the main cord, the second headphone is connected by a thin wire from that ear bud. so you have a thin cord that you can leave in front or behind your heck. the main cord hangs down to the side more naturally and less noisily.

and yea going from bud type headphones to deeper sets will feel odd at first. make sure they are the right size, should have a decent seal without being uncomfortable. and with the skull candies it can help to route the cord under the shirt coming out at the neck. that keeps the wire movement to a minimum.

Last edited by boobaloo; 07-02-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:33 PM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobaloo
this is where the sonys are superior. or any headphone with a asymmetric necklace type arrangement where one side takes most of the cord weight and has the main cord, the second headphone is connected by a thin wire from that ear bud. so you have a thin cord that you can leave in front or behind your heck. the main cord hangs down to the side more naturally and less noisily.

and yea going from bud type headphones to deeper sets will feel odd at first. make sure they are the right size, should have a decent seal without being uncomfortable. and with the skull candies it can help to route the cord under the shirt coming out at the neck. that keeps the wire movement to a minimum.
And if it starts to bother you, you might want to find an alligator clip to secure the wire to your shirt. The higher up it is, the more noise it will stop.

You could also go a step up and go for true IEM's that have wires that actually go around your ears to reduce microphonics. Shure's, Ultimate Ears, Westones, these have pretty low microphonics because of this ability.

So going back to the original post, yeah, you are supposed to push the earphones into your canal. You'll konw it's working when you get that microphonic feeling and you can hear your music a lot better because of the sound isolation.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Junior Lounger

if you prefer more open type headphones the ex 85/90 despite their look do not sit as deep in your ear, they are basically almost open type headphones in reality. sort of midway i guess between the two types..you get big bass without pushing in deep. but its not totally open so that noise around you overwhelms your music.
but as with all open, more sound leaks out.

thats the advantage of in ear canal type phones, they work well in public places where you dont want to bother others.

Topic: A really stupid question. How do you wear in ear earphones?

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.