UE Super.fi 5 Pro or Jays q-Jay Earphones?

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

saury316

So my Shure E3C have broken after 3.5 years, and I am now looking for a replacement in a similar price range/category.

After reading around, a lot of people are recommending the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro Earphones, but I have also read great stuff about the Jays q-Jay earphones.

Has anyone heard both, and can recommend one over the other?

Is there something else that you would recommend over these two?

Thanks!

tortygu

Go for 5pro and give it a try. Very dynamic bass performance with tight control, even the vocals sounded very open and natural. My only problem is the fit. Tried every type of foamies or flanges, didn't really felt very comfortable.

hyroboarder

UE's. Jays are relatively new and ultimate ears is a solid company with years of experience. Look at what the pro's use.

Code Monkey

hyroboarder said:
UE's. Jays are relatively new and ultimate ears is a solid company with years of experience. Look at what the pro's use.
Yes, do that ;)

I realise plenty of pros do use UEs, but a larger percentage do not. Westone, Shure, Livewires, SuperFreQs, Sensaphonics, etc. all have their share of the pie.

On the other hand, I find their celebrity name dropping portion of their website fairly hilarious. You'd think if you had the sort of mad money these celebs have, they'd all have custom UE11s, but the majority are using "mere" SF5s.

I love my SF5s and plan on upgrading to TF10s, but using a company's own, largely inaccurate, advertising slogan is hardly a reason to choose SF5s over the Jays. The Q-Jays have gotten very favorable reviews in the audiphile community and will, for most people, be less intrusive and comfortable.

That seems to be the biggest differences: the UEs have fully replaceable cables, are based in the U.S. so warranty/repair service will be quicker and easier to obtain, and have a long track record of satisfied customers. The Q-Jays are smaller, more comfortable, but a bit more expensive and less proven in terms of durability or backing from the parent company.

hyroboarder

Is that their advertising slogan? I wasn't completely basing my opinion of the pros using ultimate ears, I have used the 5 pro's before and they are really a decent pair of iem's. In reality, you probably would be happy with either pair it's just that the 5 pro's get my "quick pick"

Code Monkey

hyroboarder said:
Is that their advertising slogan?
Their main slogan, and I think it's a good one, is the hear music like it was meant to be heard, but their website stresses on every single page that UEs are what the pros use. One of their lead-in ad slogans is, "what they hear, you hear...", with pics of, gods help us, Pete Wentz in one of its iterations :D

Scott549

I've heard both. I bought Q-Jays and decided to exchange them for Super.fi 5 Pros. For pure accuracy and a bright, precise upper range, the Q-Jays are better. For rock music, however, I prefer the sound of the Super.fi, which is punchier and more energetic, with less of a high end (which I found a bit harsh on the Q-Jays). People talk a lot about the fit. The Q-Jays are way smaller, but the part you are putting in your ear is not necessarily smaller -- it's whatever fits your ear properly. If you plan on lying on your side with them in, then the Q-Jays might work but the Super.fi would not.