Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.

Topic: Skull Candy Smokin Buds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search
Old 02-25-2008, 07:34 PM

RCO
Junior Lounger

Question Skull Candy Smokin Buds

Ok well i just saw some at best buy for 30 bucks and they look super nice. I want to get some but i don't wanna spend 30 bucks and find out they suck.

So how good are they if any of u have tried them

Join the iLounge Community and the ad above will disappear.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Reclined Lounger

I use Smoken Buds for working out. Nice fit not bad on the isolation decent sound for the money. I got them at FYE for $10. so I bought 3 pair. I am tuff on work out phones and I am sitll on my first pair. About 4 months now.

Piano Man
Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Senior Lounger

dude go to staples it 25 overthere man and they are worth the money dude

iPods: iPod Photo (30GB), iPod Nano (2 GB), iPod Classic 80GB (Silver)

Current Earphones: Skullcandy Smokin Buds
Current Headphones: Bose Around-Ear
Old 02-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Senior Lounger

Red face

I bought a pair of these on eBay, just got them and opened the package about 15 minutes ago. Bought them brand new with "free shipping" for $20. This was after reading reviews and everyone saying how great they are.

Biggest. Waste. Of. Money. Ever.

I consider myself an audiophile and have spent a few hundred bucks just on 6 foot speaker cables so I was curious to see what "better" ear bud headphones would be like. These supposedly have better bass response--they don't.

I know someone is going to say something about the "burn in" and give them time. I believe in burn in, but burn in will not help these ear buds.

Stick with the free ones that come from Apple and you'll be fine. I'm totally bummed that I spent the money and got excited about getting better ear buds. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had wasted the money on the 300 dollar Shure ones!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:06 AM

Reclined Lounger

I think what every one is saying is that for the pirce they are a great phone. There are much better ones out there. I have Bose OE Triport for around the house and Shure E3c for quality isolation listening. The SkullCandys are good for my work outs.

Piano Man
Old 02-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Senior Lounger

See, that's exactly where I'm disagreeing, is the price. The ones that you get with the iPod for free (I realize nothing is really "free") sound better and feel better (I realize this is subject as well). I can't image spending $30 plus tax and eve shipping to get something that I will never ever use.
Anybody wants them look on ebay--I'll be putting them up for sale!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Senior Lounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultan
I bought a pair of these on eBay, just got them and opened the package about 15 minutes ago. Bought them brand new with "free shipping" for $20. This was after reading reviews and everyone saying how great they are.

Biggest. Waste. Of. Money. Ever.

I consider myself an audiophile and have spent a few hundred bucks just on 6 foot speaker cables so I was curious to see what "better" ear bud headphones would be like. These supposedly have better bass response--they don't.

I know someone is going to say something about the "burn in" and give them time. I believe in burn in, but burn in will not help these ear buds.

Stick with the free ones that come from Apple and you'll be fine. I'm totally bummed that I spent the money and got excited about getting better ear buds. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I had wasted the money on the 300 dollar Shure ones!
well that's you dude but mine had more than enough bass since your an audiophile then you might not feel as comfortable with these since you spend so much money on headphones but shure? u should just go with ultimate ears super Fi 5 than shure

iPods: iPod Photo (30GB), iPod Nano (2 GB), iPod Classic 80GB (Silver)

Current Earphones: Skullcandy Smokin Buds
Current Headphones: Bose Around-Ear

Last edited by Music Hunter; 02-26-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM

Senior Lounger

I LOVE these headphones. I love everything about them. I got them on sale at FYE (like the above poster) and got like 5 pairs (I'm not too careful). best headphones I've ever gotten, and for $5, I couldn't beat them.

I would be iffy about the $30 price point, though. FYE has the next step up for that much, not on sale. I'd try to find these for cheap, and if you can't find them (they are discontinued) then get the new smokin' buds.

OH! I was thinking of the older ones, this topic IS about the new ones, hahaha.

I haven't tried them yet.

Apple iPod Touch, 16 GB
30 GB Microsoft Zune (alive and kicking)
5G 30 GB iPod Video (stolen)
San Disk Sansa mP3 player, 512 MB (DEAD)
San Disk Generic mP3 player m230, 512 MB (Alive and Kicking)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:56 PM

Power Lounger

I've now got a couple of pairs and I have to say...they are great!

I was using Koss "The Plug" but they were uncomfortable and hard to fit.

Have previously had Griffin Earthumps - not really a great fit and sound was so-so.

My Smokin' Buds are great - they fit well, they're light, they have good (but not awesome) sound isolation, and they are nice and full in the sound department. Equal to the Koss's if not superior.

I've found that the burn-in effect is very much alive and well with these - I left them going for about 6 hours on highish volume and the sound characteristics had changed from a bit tinny and harsh, to a nice full, bassy tone that gave clear sound and good definition.

I am REALLY happy with these phones - got two pairs as I have been told they may not be available here much longer as they are only going to sell the much more expensive Full Metal Jacket ones in NZ...may be a rumour, but I am happy enough with these that I don't consider having a backup pair a waste.

I'd give these a solid 7 out of ten.

//iPhone 6 64gb // SOL Republic Tracks Air // Retina iPad Mini 128 gb wifi // Apple TV 3 // iMac 21.5 //
Old 03-12-2008, 01:07 AM

Senior Lounger

I'm amazed that anyone would think these don't have enough bass, after my shures these make me feel like my brain is thumping, hard for me to get a good seal tho, its fine for everyday but not good enough for a noisy airplane
Old 09-15-2008, 05:09 PM

Freshman Lounger

I just picked up a pair of these brand new from Target, opened them up and plugged it into my ipod, but only the left speaker works. If I pull the plug like a quarter of the way out it plays out of both fine but then it's kinda loose and falls out. Any advice?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM

Reclined Lounger

Try another set of phones. If they fit in the jack ok then take the Skcull Candy back for a new set.

Piano Man
Old 09-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Time Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultan
See, that's exactly where I'm disagreeing, is the price. The ones that you get with the iPod for free (I realize nothing is really "free") sound better and feel better (I realize this is subject as well). I can't image spending $30 plus tax and eve shipping to get something that I will never ever use.
Anybody wants them look on ebay--I'll be putting them up for sale!
no offense but I don't think you put them in your ears correctly, when the noise is isolated they sound like bass pumping cans and compared to the stock ipod headphones, there is no comparison, skullcandy wins hands down in my opinion. also if you search froogle or google shopping, you can find great deals, also I bought a pair for my wife at FYE for $8.88 on sale.

Everything is Everyone and Each One is All
Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM

Junior Lounger

This is just my opinion, but I think these are a complete waste of money. I bought them hoping for a cheap, but decent pair of earphones for the gym. They were cheap, but far from decent. I've used lots of in-ear earphones in the past (several sonys, seinheiser?, westone, v-moda, etc) and these are by FAR the worst. I know they aren't in the same league as the westone um2s, but I figured they'd at least put up a fight against the sonys. Save your money and get something else.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:25 PM

Time Traveler

I respect your opinion, not everyone has a good experience, but the models your talking about are expensive and the hard ware is usually the same as in the actual speakers or drivers, for example the $99 bose in ear has a smaller and less powerful speaker than the $20 skullcandy ink'd and I found out the smokin buds have a smaller driver as well, its wierd cause they are more expensive than the ink'd.

Everything is Everyone and Each One is All

Topic: Skull Candy Smokin Buds

Reply Thread Tools Topic Search

Become a member of the iLounge Forums. Register Now!
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum FAQ and Forum Policy.